Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Thanks Guys,

The history of the behind a lot of the roads comprising Conrail & their holdings after 4/1/76 is very interesting. One great book to read is "Erie Lackawanna: Death of an American Railroad". It really show in the end, it was really worth more dead than alive. But the PC did own a lot of non-railroad properties in South Jersey - Philadelphia area back in the 1970's. Plus had invested non-railroad business too like Great Adventure.

Now as Monty Python's Flying Circus would say: AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

One thing this past weekend while working on the Blue Comet Redux, I kept felt like something was missing somewhere. I couldn't put a finger on it but just felt it. So between trying to finish up the Union Beach area, I go back to clean up the Keyport area. While adding a few people figures around the Keyport station, it came to me like a ton of bricks..... ADVERTISEMENTS !!!

Ad posters were a huge thing here in NE America commuter country back in the 1950's into the 1970's. Every station had them. From a few to many lining the platforms, even on the station buildings themselves. It was a way the failing railroads could generate revenue for themselves. Broadway shows were big ads for these with trains direct into NYC or terminating at their waterfront facilities on the shores of the Hudson. You also had ads for movies of the time being shown in theaters, ads for beer, wine & spirits, newspapers, local TV & Radio stations, local attractions, cigarettes & the latest fashions.

The Erie Lackawanna's Hoboken Terminal was loaded with ads of the era, so were 95% of the station stops. In my town, the Garfield station use to have at least 12 ad boards up & the Plauderville stop (Which was only a plywood passenger shelter) had about 6 too. The CNJ, PRR (Later PC), RDG & P-RSL all had the same at their passenger facilities. As well at PATH, PATCO & Newark Subway system.

So I started this past weekend making up some for the route. First batch were for Broadway plays from the 1960's and 1970's. The second batch are for movies of those same eras. 3rd batch are for beer, wine, spirits & cigarettes for the same eras. The last batch that I am working on tonight is for everything else for the 1960's & 70's. For anyone else that might like them for when they upgrade their own or other routes for themselves. I am going to package them up and upload them to the library here by the weekend. They would work great with any NEC route, The Blue Comet (Goes without saying), N&JC, The LV route, New Haven Line Route, PRR-ER, LIRR and others too !

So for anyone interested in using them, I will have them uploaded by Saturday night.

Below are a few screen taking at Bay Head to see what I am talking about.

- Mark -

Now thats nice!! My videocard will probably smoke right up....LOL!
    Dave Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by dedwa15237 View Post
    Now thats nice!! My videocard will probably smoke right up....LOL!
    I would think that too Dave but like I said before. On my older PC which is a
    2.0 GHz Duo-Core with 8GB of DDR2 RAM & A GT 730 video card & most the sliders mostly up or at least at 3/4. I am getting 45-50 FPS in this area and 80+ in the pineland areas. I test this on both that unit and my newer PC to check results on both.

So hopefully you will get the same or close when I do get it released.
    - Mark -

OK, I just uploaded the Platform Ad Boards I was talking about in Post# 191 on this string. Hopefully some of you can use them to detail your own routes or for when you mod other routes for yourself.

90% of them can be used for areas outside the NJ-NY metro area. There are 155 different ad boards to choose from. The time era for these are based in the 1960's and 70's.

You can use them on station buildings & platforms but also on bus shelters or terminals & movie - Drive In theaters. Almost anywhere that you can put a smaller ad board.

Well back to work on the Seashore Branch. Should be done with Union Beach / Keyport tonight then be heading to Keansburg on my way to Highlands.

​Enjoy......
    - Mark -

Default Update 4/5/2020 "Putting Things In Perspective" Union Beach

Hi Folk, Here is are a few "Before & After" screenshots showing the transition taking place with the work done. I will be finishing this area finally tonight. I got kind of sidetracked this past week with all going on & a few doctor visits (No, not for the Coronavirus). I will be making a short video when done showing what you will see from the cab when driving on this part of the rote.

There are also a few screenshots of this area I put today that are more closer in the "Scenes Without Trains" thread on the Open Rails Screen Shots forum. I love the one with the ladies sitting under the tree having morning cocktails LOL.

When scrolling to see the shots, first your will see the orignal 1929 version of the route. Next shot will be the 1970 version of the route. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for looking & your past feedbacks. - Mark

​Enjoy......
    Last edited by MMSS; Yesterday at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added Infomation
    - Mark -

Mark,

I am speechless.

This is just fantastic!!!

Please be safe and keep up the great work.

Robert

superlatives are exhausted!

(and so must you be by all the work & effort )
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    superlatives are exhausted!

(and so must you be by all the work & effort )
    Hit the nail on the head Gerry. Think we need a "Superlatives Exhausted" Emoji ????
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK