Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
    Well you know the Jersey Shore, Scott. Back before the "Big Build" of the 1980's, tons of cattails, reeds, water grass & such along the coast. Then in the 1980's a lot of man-made lagoon lots & the troops started migrating from NYC & Philly.

The area I lived in 1980 when you compare it today. Totally unrecognizable. When I lived there, only 6 houses were on a street (With 2 side streets) were on it, Today, over 200 homes on it with 21 side streets. The 1980's building boom killed Utopia for me.
    Hi Mark,

Yeah - similar in Goshen - I spent my youth working on a horse farm and stomping the countless acres of farmland/woodlands that was everywhere - nothing but pickup trucks and tractors with hay wagons back then... Now days - there's absolutely nothing left - McMansions everywhere - exclusively luxury cars and SUV's on the roads today - and - every vacant field, farm, or woodlands has been divided and chopped up into high density subdivisions... Now they're building Legoland - it's no longer home - it's gone...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 03-02-2020 at 11:55 AM.

The population has, roughly, doubled in the last 30 years. Got to put them somewhere.
    I know what you mean though.

Randy

Default Update 3/4/2020 "The Bayshore, Union Beach & IFF- CONTINUED"

TRACKSIDE. To me one of the greatest assets to Open Rails because in makes the scenery POP ! And the best reason for providing "Eye Candy" to a route like The Blue Comet Lines Route. It has some big big features like Jersey City with a NYC background or Atlantic City & some large urban areas to the north. But a lot of central & south Jersey in this era was mostly scrub pines & water. So when running through these areas I love giving the player an eyeful so to speak.

I still have to enhance the IFF Plant a bit but decided to go down Jersey Ave a bit & start the mostly residential area towards where I left off last year. This area was mostly summer homes closer to the bay with year-round residents closer to the tracks. There were a few businesses thrown in also (Gas stations, General Stores, Bait & Tackle Shops).

The tracks rolled past the backyards of these homes on the northern end with Jersey Ave paralleled to the west side. So trying to recreate that feel of 1966 just before the last RDC ran to Newark Penn Station & service past IFF was a few lumber cars or a rare drop off to NWS Earle.

Still a lot to do but in a few hours time, it is really taking shape.

The corner of Jersey Avenue & Creek Road near the grade crossing. The sign for Jack's Landing Marina shows you where to go & it will be visible from the trestle. Esso Fuels? Remember this is pre-1973.

I am so glad I found these older style crossbucks in the file library here. They are more prototypical to the era here. The marina (Jack's Landing ) will be just to the right along East Creek.

Looking west towards Keyport. You will be rolling passed countless backyards along the Seashore Branch. Trash littered along the ROW is a common sight too.

Each backyard will have its own little details different from the next. Some with gardens, clotheslines, garages, etc.
    Different types of fencing divide the ROW from the yards. Also it wasn't uncommon to see a shopping cart or 50 along the side of the tracks.

Looking west down the ROW towards Keansburg. If you look to the shed's roof to the left, they is a surprise on it. Petey the Cat checking out the action from his vantage point.

Your typical virtual coastal Jersey neighborhood circa 1965 -1976.

Looking east towards the IFF plant by East Creek. Still work to do but coming along.

Looking west towards Keyport. Coming along nicely. Live & Let Die on the billboard (1972) !

Enjoy......

- Mark -

Hi Mark,

Regards,
    Scott

Great catch for a billboard Scott !!! Thanks a bunch !!
    - Mark -

Hi Mark.

Hah - my pleasure - stunning as always...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Mark.

Hah - my pleasure - stunning as always...

Regards,
    Scott
    Funny I never thought of going to the Ad Council's website for billboard ads from the era. I went & they have a section called "The Classics". They had one of the billboards for U.S. Savings Bonds that back in the 1970's use to be right by the Ciba-Giegy spur on Route 37 in Toms River. Now I can even be more prototypical LOL. Thanks loads again !
    - Mark -

Default Update 3/5/2020 "A Thank You Shout Out To Scott Brunner For A Great Idea"

As I said in the past, I feel that signs & billboards indigenous to the area & era of a route makes it come alive. Billboards from yesteryear bring you back to a time and place in memories. And running a route based in the past in a place you are familiar does basically is the same.

Scott replied to this post a few threads down with the old Ad Council's Pollution Campaign. The "Crying Native American" ad still is one of the most well known Public Service Announcement (PSA) ads in history. It was among the first ones also. It was seen in TV spots, magazine, newspaper & comic book ads & of course billboards. So I thought, Hummmm…..

Why not make a few billboards with PSA's from the era. Big ones in the NJ area here from the Ad Council were the pollution one of course, U.S. Savings Bonds, Family Caregiving (Because of all the retirement developments NJ is known for) & of course the Smokey The Bear Campaign. Because of the 1.1 million square acres of pine barrens & NJ Skyland Region of Sussex, Warren & Passaic Counties. This was the one of the biggest PSA in NJ.

So tonight I started a few billboards for the area I am doing with the BCL route redo. Here are a few samples.

And thank you Scott for a hell of an idea. Now puttin' it to work !

​Enjoy......
    Last edited by MMSS; 03-05-2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Wrong Date In Title
    - Mark -

Hi Mark,

Totally with you on billboards and signs - your pix prove it...

Regards,
    Scott

Superb work, for a wonderfully unique route, one of my favorites.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.