Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Funny Robert but when we moved in here in 2000, it was my father-in-law's house. I plugged in a lamp and I blew a breaker. I went to ask him where the service box was and I almost lost my mind. The is a house, a 3 family house with a garage in back and he had a 60A FPE MAIN LUG panel with 6 SP breakers & 2 DP breakers in it & no main breaker disconnect !!!! I was like that is it & an not dying here !!

Mark, That was actually a common practice at one time. Down here in the South, You see all sorts of odd stuff in really old houses. Pretty freakin scary though!

Remember old K&T wire? I do from when I was young in upstate PA & NY. I've seen it in service in homes down here in NC as well. I used to collect the porcelain pieces along with the wire. Nowadays you have a hard time getting insurance if a home has K&T. A shame to have to go and rip it all out if it's all in original working order.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Remember old K&T wire? I do from when I was young in upstate PA & NY. I've seen it in service in homes down here in NC as well. I used to collect the porcelain pieces along with the wire. Nowadays you have a hard time getting insurance if a home has K&T. A shame to have to go and rip it all out if it's all in original working order.

Robert
    Knob & Tube !! Damn that is goin' back some. The town I live in is actually my hometown. I just live on the other side of town now. And in my old house we actually had live K&T lines for 2 rooms. That is some scary stuff but if installed correct it really wasn't bad. It really is amazing when you open up a wall and see it installed. I still have a ton of insulators for it packed in 3 boxes in my attic. When I moved after we sold the house back in 1980, I did take them with me because my grandfather installed all the electric in the old house. My grandfather was head engineer for the Forstmann Woolens plant & power house with a Gold Seal. I learned a lot from him at an early age.
    - Mark -

I did a remodel of an older house down here in Sarasota about 10 years ago, (I am an architect), and when the contractor opened the walls on the second floor to remodel the bedrooms all of them were wired with K&T. We ended up having to rewire the entire 5000 sq. ft. house.
    Paul

Mark and Paul,

Yup, That stuff is going back some. I always had admiration for those who built and installed things with a quality not found in people anymore. They cared a lot about what they were doing back then.

K&T sometimes comes up in good, original working configuration. It pains me to have to destroy all that hand crafted work. But nowadays it's becoming increasingly common to have to replace it all to satisfy some insurance company.

I live 900 + miles from my home town now. My parents moved us down here to NC ages ago now it seems. My dad was employed for a while by a defense contractor making the artillery shells fired by tanks during the war after Sept 11th. Once established down here, it didn't make sense to move back to the rust belt from which we had come. Binghamton NY and Halstead PA having nothing to offer for employment by that point sadly. Most of my childhood is memories of abandoned buildings and toxic chemical ponds from America's manufacturing days of old. Once companies like IBM left the area, the place just died slowly.

Robert

Default UPDATE 1/14/2020 Working on the AC Terminal with one eye. "Ay Yai Yai"

Still in Atlantic City & tonight working with 1 eye. I had cataract surgury on my right one at 7AM yesterday morning. The terminal here is using the original track layout of the route. The one that replaced it is close to the one that is there today. It was closer to Atlantic Tower & the engine/yard facility & Atlantic City Electric. The old terminal then became the Atlantic City Bus Terminal. So this is just prior (mid-1960s) to when constuction on the new terminal began & trains still stopped at far west as Camden prior to PATCO.

By then the butterfly canopies on the platforms were gone. The long platforms that use to be utilized by trains with names like The Boardwalk Flyer, The Sea Breeze, The PRR Nelly Bly & of course the CNJ's Blue Comet have become outdated to maybe a train with a Baldwin Road Switcher & 2 P70 coaches or an RDC1 or two. Plus growth between the ties was starting to become very common do to the lack of use & ridership.

Next phase is working on the area surrounding the terminal & Bader Field, the muni airport just south in view of the tracks....

Same view at night

Same view at night

A sign of the times

Inside a departing RDC-1 to Camden

An overview from the west

​Enjoy.....
    - Mark -

Hi Mark,

Even with one eye tied behind your back - you do stunning work - looks great....

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks Scott,

As you (And others on the forum do also), I am a bit anal-retentive when it comes to the local details on routes. Many of the great route builders on here are also making structures & detail unique to the area's model. It immerses you when running the route and even for some takes you back to that period of time if you are familiar with the are modeled.

On thing at times that is missed I notice at rail terminals & stations sometimes is the lack of transportation AFTER you arrive by rail. So I did with my limited skill reskin a few buses in Pubic Service Transportation Co. (Pre, Pre NJ Transit) to put at the AC Terminal. I redone the destination boards on them for local and farther destinations they did service for the area & found the old Public Service logo in them. They had a bus stop area on the side of Bacharach Blvd. for a short time in the late 1960's. So here is a little preview of what I am working on with it.

Also you start thinking on things of the time you remember. I was putting trash cans around the terminal with the old slogan & logo from 1970 popped into my head. Remember (For those who can remember back that far like me.) the old "Pitch In" Campaign in the USA for anti-littering? Well they made it to the route upgrade here. From about 1970 well into the late 70's you seen trash cans with the logo on them. So why be any different here for the era.

Remember "You got to "Pitch-In, To clean up American."

Enjoy......
    - Mark -

Stunning work indeed. The right buses is a nice touch.

'Pitch In' is a pretty good slogan. I didn't think about it too deeply back then.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Stunning work indeed. The right buses is a nice touch.

'Pitch In' is a pretty good slogan. I didn't think about it too deeply back then.

Christopher
    Thanks Chris.

Little scenes surrounding the trackside areas have always meant a little for me when running any routes. They work even better at "The End of the Line" areas like Atlantic City here.

The area around the terminal there from the mid 1950's into the late 60's was always the "Wrong Side Of The Tracks". Even after the terminal was moved it was. It even gotten worse after the new terminal was built after rail service was reinstated in the late 1980's.

Looking from the front of the terminal building on Artic Avenue, the dead end street to the left of it is Missouri Avenue. It was always known as an area for scoring illicit materials & for being a "Poor Man's Lover's Lane" (You know what I mean, I don't have to go further ). So adding a little scene to mark it's history I did, Passengers arriving & departing on Track 8 can get an eyeful.

Are they trying to make a score or trying to score?

​Enjoy......
    - Mark -

It looks like something for which there must be a Springsteen song about, somewhere in his catalog.

(Or maybe I'm just innocent).