Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Default The Blue Comet Lines Route - REDUX 1968-2000 **UPDATE !!! 08/17/2019** MOTELS, MOTELS

One thing the updated Blue Comet Route will have is motels & LOTS of them. From South Amboy on south, the Route 9, 18, 30 (White Horse Pike), 34, 35, 36, 71 37, 40 & 322 (Black Horse Pike) & 138 corridors are loaded with local & national branded chains. The branded motel chains came in more around the time of the tollroad building era (1950 to 1972) for the NJ Turnpike (NJT) , Garden State Parkway (GSP) & Atlantic City Expressway (ACE).

Some these "Motor Lodges" (aka Motels) popped up on the way to the shore in the 1920's to about the beginning of WWII. Many of the older ones still exist today. But over the years due to recessions, age & deferred maintenance (Just like the railroads) & national Hotel-Motel chains (i.e. Holiday Inn, HoJo, Ramada, etc.) & economy motel chains (i.e. Red Roof Inn, EconoLodge, Motel 6, etc.) many have disappeared. Because of this, the originals became run down, some to the point of closing due to code violations that were heavily enforced starting the late 1970's. Many couldn't compete with the national chains or with private owned motels that kept up their business so in the 1980's through the 90's many shuttered. Many were also lost during the December 11, 1992 Nor'easter, Hurricane Irene & Sandy over the past 25 years. some from storms before them. During the downturn of the old motels that lined the NJ shore, they started to become better known as "Fleabags" because of the rundown shape a lot have become.

But along the New York & Long Branch (South Amboy to Bay Head Jct.), CNJ's Southern Division & the PRSL Main Line to Atlantic City. Many of these motels are within a stone's throw of them. So for them I am detailing them according for nice "Eye Candy" when operating a run on the route.

Interesting is going to be the PRR's Camden & Long Branch Line between Seaside Park & Bay Head Jct when I upgrade that area. This is because the track have been gone since the Barnegat Bay Trestle fire in 1946 & the track taken up in 1948. The alignment of Route 35 from Manaloking to Seaside Park uses part of the old ROW. The highway splits less than a 1/2 mile south of the Manaloking Bridge & the old ROW is used for the southbound lanes. Between the north & soundbound lanes streets were put in & are used for both commercial & residential property. So I been planning out a "What Could Have Been" to the barrier island there because I am leaving in all the "Hertiage" ROWs. Numerous motels also line the "Grand Strand" there also. That will be one of the biggest projects on the revamp of the road.

I included some screenshots of a motel scene that is a "Work In Progress" (WIP) along the CNJ Seashore Branch on the Keyport/Union Beach border.

Enjoy.....
    - Mark -

Nice!
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Mark, your work is awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product. Especially around the Whiting/Lakehurst/Tom's River area as I have in-laws living there and have done some work with Navy Med at the Lakehurst and Colts Neck Naval bases as well.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Quote Originally Posted by sburr View Post
    Can't wait to see the finished product. Especially around the Whiting/Lakehurst/Tom's River area as I have in-laws living there and have done some work with Navy Med at the Lakehurst and Colts Neck Naval bases as well.
    Thanks everyone !

And Steve, The Toms River area is going to be a challenge too. But I had that one down pat because of a version of this route I did for myself. But can't release it because of many payware items I used in it. The big challenge is along the PRR's Camden & Long Branch line there between Beachwood & S. Toms River. The Garden State Parkway connector from Route 9 to the GSP uses the old ROW. So I am running the connector parallel to the west of it to compensate for it. To give an idea of what it is like, I posted a few screens below of what by the old CNJ station will look like along Atlantic City Blvd (Route 166). 99% of it will look like this.

With Whiting, I am up to Lacey Road coming from the south, then onto Lakehurst. I guess I am going to have to give a try to building my first building for this from scratch. I need the Zeppelin hangers for Lakehurst because it just wouldn't look right without it. I haven't found anything close in any of the download sites except for the PRR-ER and those are protected. So with time I will get them done.

NWS Earle I did do the piers to most of my liking. When I get about 9 miles further doing the Seashore Branch here. I will be working on the Route 36 main gate area for Earle. I have 90% of the custom signs made for that area now which will make it easy to do. Plus I already put in Route 36 from Union Beach to Highlands. That is a major player because the highway parallels the ROW from Union Beach to Atlantic Highlands then meets up again at Highlands before it crosses the "Scissor Bridge" into Highlands Beach across the Shrewsbury River.

Hoping to release the first beta of this in the first quarter of 2020. South of the Raritan River is going smooth. But I know when I get to Perth Amboy up to Jersey City & start doing the Urban & Industrial area, that will take some work indeed.

Some screens around the Toms River / S. Toms River border along Rt. 166. This is near where the CNJ's station was.

Looking North from the stripmall on Rt. 166

Looking West from Geno's Pizza on Rt. 166

A view showing Rt. 166, The Toms River & the Toms River proper in the background.

This is how close cars would park along the CNJ Barnegat Branch back then. This is where the 001 Auto Parts & Stripmall once were.

​Enjoy......

- Mark -

Wow! This is just an incredible work in progress.

What's in the drums? PCB oil from transformers. Or even Radioactive waste!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Wow! This is just an incredible work in progress.

What's in the drums? PCB oil from transformers. Or even Radioactive waste!

Robert
    Robert, in New Jersey it can been anything from cooking grease to body parts in those drums.
    - Mark -

Default The Blue Comet Lines Route REDUX UPDATE 08/22/2019 - Union Beach-Keyport Border

Things are flying at this section of the Seashore Branch. So I moved to the Keyport - Union Beach border & am heading back towards
    Chingarora Creek which is only a bit over a half mile away. This should be all done by tonight. Then the only part of Keyport left is the downtown area as well as the Garden State Parkway area by the junction with the NY&LB.

Like I said before, I love the "Eye Candy" close to the ROW (Which I learned from many of the great route builders here) & here we have a little church scene on Florence Ave. (Monmouth County Rt 39) next to the grade crossing in Union Beach. It is simple but full of life. A small graveyard next to the church like so many of the older small churches in Central & South Jersey. A little night lighting so the scene doesn't get drowned out in the night's darkness.

I will get back to Florence Avenue after I work Broadway (Monmouth Rt. 6) up to Chingarora Creek which is all simple home. Not as many as in today's real world. Back in 1972 they were more sparsely apart not like today where the homes are almost on top of each other.

So here is a few views of the church, then back to work for me. - Mark

Now Some Scenes Around Dawn...……..

The newly placed sign is telling me which way to go back to work !

​Enjoy......
    - Mark -

Mark, I always wanted to move to NJ. I am not sure it's the nicest place in the world though? You guys have so much crime and underground activity going on at night. Sends shivers up my spine thinking about it.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Mark, I always wanted to move to NJ. I am not sure it's the nicest place in the world though? You guys have so much crime and underground activity going on at night. Sends shivers up my spine thinking about it.
    Can't believe everything you seen on "The Sopranos" Robert . I always hear people say that to me, But the funny thing is I lived in many places over my 55 years on earth. I lived in Solana Beach, CA (My apartment was broken into twice) , Tucson, AZ (Apartment robbed & car stolen) & Havelock, NC (House Robbed). Those places were a total of 10 years. The worse thing that happened to me in NJ is someone parking in my driveway.

There is good and bad everywhere. Where I live now is where I grew up. I did move to South Jersey for a few years at one time in the early 90's is sandwiched between Paterson, Passaic & Hackensack. All very moderate urban areas. Never had one problem. Not saying that NJ doesn't have crime. Hell we are the inventors of Carjacking (Newark). Plus places like Camden, Newark, Trenton, Paterson etc. have their problems. But what urban area doesn't?

It's not the greatest, the butt of many jokes & has it's faults... But it is home and that is what counts. To me at least.
    - Mark -

Default The Blue Comet Lines Route REDUX UPDATE 08/26/2019 - Union Beach-Keyport Border

These are screens of the 98% finished Keyport - Union Beach, NJ border on the CNJ Seashore Branch for Steve Durham's Blue Comet Lines Route I did over the weekend. Only left to finish in this area on the Keyport side are some trees, road signs, power poles & street lights on Broadway.

You might have noticed from the previous screenshots I posted that I changed out the streetlights on the utility poles. That is because of the era. 1967 to 1977 many of the towns along the Jersey Shore still had old style incandescent street lights. Remember those? The ones with the huge "A" bulbs under a reflector? The "Cobra Head" style HID streetlights were mostly on the state highways & tollroads at the time. First Mercury Vapor (MV) style then the peachy High Pressure Sodium (HPS) style in the late 70's. These fit the style of most towns perfectly along with Tim Muir's green reflector style found in the ET download area for his Southern Cal power pole set. So now I am happy with the results.

Besides the church setting at the Florence Ave. grade crossing you have a home having a garage sale. A nice little diorama to see along your trip on the branch. I will get back to this section after I am done with downtown Keyport which I continuing on tonight. I am leaving the western end of Keyport for later when I start in the Matawan area because it borders it there by the Garden State Parkway (Which I have to put in also.).

I left off at Union Beach on Florence Avenue by the Jersey Central Power & Light NE Monmouth Field Office & next to it will be Union Beach's DPW. That will be after rebuilding Downtown Keyport while working my way towards Keansburg. - Mark

Looks like our friends fishing off the Broadway bridge finally caught something. But looks like that bird overhead has it's sights on it too !

​Enjoy...........
    - Mark -