Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
    Both have their limitations actually.

Track wise the Blue Comet Lines Route has more of the original 1900 era track design into the passenger terminal while the PRR-ER has the 1920 to 1967 (The end of service to the terminal) era design with the scissor throat. The PRR-ER has a much bigger freight yard that was just to the south of the passenger terminal though nu-prototypical. The BCL route has a bit of the Lehigh Valley's carfloat yard that was adjacent to the passenger terminal & the Morris Canal.

The Communipaw Engine Facility (On the west end by the terminal throat) is more prototypical with the twin turntables & roundhouses, sanding & coal areas on the BCL route while the PRR-ER only has a roundhouse-turntable adjacent to the terminal tracks. Both don't have the south yard or coal dump dock & yard or the National Docks (LV) trackage.

I do favor (Just speaking for myself) the BCL route because it does have the massive industrial infrastructure along all of the Hudson waterfront down to Bayonne, plus the same along "Refinery Row" from E'port to Perth Amboy (Today's Chemical Coast Secondary) which the PRR-ER lacks.

Also the PRR-ER is lacking a lot of industries & sidings along the CNJ's track on the route. Well after all, it is a PRR route. Even on joint tracks like the NY&LB, the PRR-ER is missing a lot of sidings & industry & major ones like the Lily Cup Company in Holmdel. Plus the BCL has a lot of historical lines like the Tuckerton RR, PRR's Camden & Long Branch from Whiting to Bay Head Jct. & the CNJ's Seashore Branch from Matawan all the way to West End where it reconnects with the NY&LB again. The route also contains the CNJ's Barnegat Branch.

If switching the CNJ or LV on the Hudson waterfront one likes better, then Teemu's Jersey City & Newark route is even a bit better than the BCL. The freight yards are bigger for the CNJ & LV and is based on the 1970's. Plus there is the National Docks trackage along with the LV's Claremont Terminal. This is a great switching route of the NJ Hudson Waterfront featuring the CNJ, LV, EL (Erie or DLW also), HBS & PC (PRR & NYC also). This was basically built as a switching route more than a passenger one.

I know I gave more info than asked but hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info!

I asked due to having just installed the Blue Comte Route and having seen it's version of the Communipaw shops, it seemed to be a bit on the empty side compared to the screenshot posted by Singalmaster of the Terminal on the PRR east route.

I'm kind of use to high detail scenery from having played some of the newer train sims. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by stlsf4003 View Post
    Thanks for the info!

I asked due to having just installed the Blue Comte Route and having seen it's version of the Communipaw shops, it seemed to be a bit on the empty side compared to the screenshot posted by Singalmaster of the Terminal on the PRR east route.

I'm kind of use to high detail scenery from having played some of the newer train sims. ^^;
    No problem. That is why for the update to the BCL route here with the author's Steve Durham's blessing. When it came out in 2012, it was made basically for MSTS, the upgrade will be made with OR in mind. The Jersey City Terminal, Atlantic City area & terminal will completely be overhauled as well as everything else on the route. So if you like the run the CNJ in 1974 or maybe NJ Transit in 2002, it will have the look & feel to it. Plus some people I talk to from here like doing NJ Transit fantasy runs. So they will be able to run say a fantasy run from the Jersey City Terminal to Atlantic City taking the old route of the Blue Comet & have the modern feel to it. Or run a Conrail drill from Bay Head Jct. to Seaside Park, they can with the same.

As you can see by the few screen shots I put below here & in the beginning of this post in January. The JC terminal area is in the very early stages of the rebuild but already has a lot more detail to it. it will have the look & feel to it just before abandonment in may 1967.

I guess time to rework my spare time priorities now.... - Mark -

I contributed all the New Jersey/New York trackage in the PRR route. It was minimal because the route’s design theme was mainline train running. Plus, the already enormous size of the route, the people putting it together didn’t want to blow it up beyond repair. The Jersey Central terminal track plan was not the one I sent to the project. I haven’t been building routes for a few years, so I went back to find what I had designed. The attached shows what the original plan was for the terminal throat and platforms. It has nearly all the 20+ platforms. I did some work on the concourse with what I remembered from being there when it was still operational (1964-67, the years I was in college riding the Seashore trains).

Hank (Signalmaster)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Signalmaster View Post
    I contributed all the New Jersey/New York trackage in the PRR route. It was minimal because the route’s design theme was mainline train running. Plus, the already enormous size of the route, the people putting it together didn’t want to blow it up beyond repair. The Jersey Central terminal track plan was not the one I sent to the project. I haven’t been building routes for a few years, so I went back to find what I had designed. The attached shows what the original plan was for the terminal throat and platforms. It has nearly all the 20+ platforms. I did some work on the concourse with what I remembered from being there when it was still operational (1964-67, the years I was in college riding the Seashore trains).

Hank (Signalmaster)
    That is true Hank. The terminal yard throat on the PRR-ER is more of the modern version until the end of service in 1967. The double scissor like in the first photo you posted shows it. I remember taking to some former CNJ employees at railfan events held at the terminal in the 1980's that maintenance was hell on it.

The trainshed is huge and was the biggest of Lincoln Bush's design at 317, 850 sq. ft.. Though in real bad shape these days, it is a wonder to still see. And by the last 2 screens you posted, you hit the nail on the head for the concourse & trainshed of the 1960's
    I guess time to rework my spare time priorities now.... - Mark -

Beautiful, Hank