Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    I like the conversion on my truck for the fire service great looking scenery also
    Thanks Jim. We actually had one in the service up until 1988. Was use as an extra equipment rig. Served 28 years until it was retired & an ex-fire warden bought it, restored it and still has it. He uses for parades, shows, etc.
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Only thing that doesn't look right is that nicely tamped track with perfect geometry!
    I know Chris & I am tossed on this. I remember when I was active in the fire service that the grade crossing on Carranza Road there was well maintained. But the road had a lot to be desired, the was a hard packed sand road graded once a year if lucky. The reason was the CNJ and later CR didn't maintain the crossing. The state did for the reason when we use to take our tankers down the road. One time in the early 70's one of the tankers became unhitched from the cab going over the crossing. Up until the late 1980's when the Shore Fast Line use to head up towards Lakehurst for Clayton Block, it was still maintained by the state.

Today, well last time I was down there about a year ago, you can't even tell it was a grade crossing except for the rails at the roadside. The rail heads lie under about 8" of heavy packed sand. One of the crossbucks lasted to about 2008 but now it is gone too. But it isn't written in stone. Looking about it again I think I might rough it up a bit
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
    Thanks Jim. We actually had one in the service up until 1988. Was use as an extra equipment rig. Served 28 years until it was retired & an ex-fire warden bought it, restored it and still has it. He uses for parades, shows, etc.
    Were they red? Forest service trucks here are green...
    Mine is semi retired now and only drive it about two days a week. It spent 40 years as my daily driver Thankful to Tim for doing the model so I see it running more often in the sim..
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    Were they red? Forest service trucks here are green...
    Jersey's Forest Service trucks are red (Older & newer trucks) with the yellow Parks shield, yellow striping and green font on the newer trucks. Older trucks (Pre-1980) had no striping on them.

We did have a US Forest Service field station at one time in NJ. But I think we don't anymore. They I know had green trucks.
    - Mark -