Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    It looks like something for which there must be a Springsteen song about, somewhere in his catalog.

(Or maybe I'm just innocent).
    Probably SEVERAL songs, Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzosa View Post
    Probably SEVERAL songs, Chris
    Maybe change the name of his song "Meeting Across The River" to "Meeting Across The Thorofare" because you have to cross the Beach Thorofare to enter AC. Would be a fitting song for that seen.
    - Mark -

Default Update 1/14/2020 "Thank You So Much To The Open Rails Team !"

Tonight I took a break from placing scenery. Because I really wanted to work on making multi car spawners. It came to me because last night I took a little trip on the route here. I was having a ball until I got to the crossing in Wharton State Forest. A little dirt road with a dirt crossing. Just didn't seem right to have a big 18 wheeler going down that road. It was so out of place, I stopped the sim and started doing some reading on how to do it properly.

I played with the idea before but never got really into it. I was going to do it for the route here but at a later date. I didn't realize it really was easy to do adjusting the carspawn.dat file (Thanks again ORTS Team !) & Goku's TSRE 5 editor. It really is a breeze !

So now I have spawns for places like state parks, Interstate, U.S. & state highways, farm vehicles, small towns, bigger citys, even a group of emergency vehicles going to a call ! BUT THERE WAS ONE THING WITH THIS GREAT ENHANCEMENT I WANTED TO TRY.

Over at Elvas Tower, member "MrMosky" made a great animated horse with rider that can be used in the carspawn.dat file that is available in the D/L library there.. It really is a remarkable object for the sim. And along the Southern Division of the CNJ, I heard stories from former train crews that they use to see many horse & riders along the side of the ROW using it as a bridal trail. So I figured give it a try because it be a nice little scene along that long ride through the pine barrens. It still needs a bit of work adjusting the terrain & speed, but it really does give a nice little extra for the update !

There use to be a bridal trail that use to cross the P-RSL main some where near Elwood, NJ. I might include that one to if people like the effect here.

I have a short video that is below showing the horse at trackside, stopping & waiting for the train to pass then crossing them and on their way they go. I don't know if the player works embedded on the page here, but I included the link to the YouTube page of the video too.

https://youtu.be/XZ7veNmWfIc

​Enjoy......
    - Mark -

The horses are a pretty cool feature for a route. I've used the variable car spawners to good effect, as well, since it didn't look very good to have a massive mining dump truck driving down a forest road that was maybe the width of one tire on those monsters

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    The horses are a pretty cool feature for a route. I've used the variable car spawners to good effect, as well, since it didn't look very good to have a massive mining dump truck driving down a forest road that was maybe the width of one tire on those monsters
    It really is a great feature. Like on this route, The Garden State Parkway parallels the New York & Long Branch (NY&LB) most of the way south of South Amboy to Bay Head. At some points it intersects it also. But the GSP north of Exit 105 which is the Eatontown - Tinton Falls - Long Branch area, large trucks aren't allowed on it. But south of 105 they are because it is one of only two true north-south routes on the eastern end of the state. The other is Route 9.

I know to the average person that will be using the route when its done. It wouldn't mean a hill 'o beans to them. But to me and maybe someone that know the area here, they would maybe pick up on it. So yes, I love the multi car spawners that ORTS can let you use for situations like this.
    - Mark -

Default Update 1/26/2020 "Along The Waterline !"

Work continues for me around the Atlantic City area this past week (Between doctor's visits). I was looking at what I completed as a whole then began to think how AC looks (And Looked) like when coming into it off the Atlantic City Expressway. The ROW parallels it so it is almost the same view, just a bit more north.

One thing you can see looking south is about 70 - 75% of the barrier island (Yes AC is on an island). You can see Ventnor, Margate & Longport hugging the coast & even see the lights at night of Ocean City (NJ that is , not MD). So nothing better for that than using the Snapper Set to fill that. It keeps the frame rate nice plus fills a lot nice and evenly down the coast. Going to use them again in the north area here for populating the inlet area of AC and for the lights of Brigantine Island.

You know me and signs ! Signs I feel make the scene a lot of times. And for draw bridges in the area here (Like other parts of the states), there are signs along the fenders of the bridge stating when the bridge raises and how to make it life on signal or radio call. So that and a few navigation lights along the bridge and fenders & abuntments, they look more complete now.

And after the swing bridges, except for the Expressway & Delsea Road further west it is all salt tidal marshes & salt creeks along the ROW. I found a great set of tidal water plants that have reeds, cattails and most native to this area. I put them into the forest.dat file to make it so much easier to place. They don't have winter textures but all the times I pasted there in the dead of winter, except for being a tad browner they look the same.

The one thing I added is something I remember seeing coming into AC with my grandparents back in the summer of 1970. My grandfather would always drive past the terminal for me because of my love of trains. But a block or two from there was a hi-rise apartment building engulfed in flames on the two top floors left. So I decided to put the scene in. I do remember from the 8th floor of the old Seaside Hotel-Motel we were staying at seeing it go to 5 Alarms.

So the next few days I am taking a break. Have to go for an MRI & CAT scan. I will resume on Thursday with Bader Field, then start north AC and to Brigantine. So here are a few screens showing what I talked about here & hope you enjoy them.

A recreational boater watching a PRSL afternoon local heading towards Lindenwold, NJ

By this time, the PRSL's infrastructure is starting to show its age. Here is a bridge tender's locker house showing it has seen better days.

Looking northeast from the west side of the swing span. The area in the middle will be the revamped PRSL maintenance area of the 1960's & Atlantic City Electric.

North of the swing spans, there use to be a dock where the AC Electric was getting oil in by barge for when they switched between coal & oil (Whichever was cheaper at the time).

Looking south down the barrier island just over the AC Expressway. You can see where Snappers fill the void nicely. In the view would be AC, Ventnor, Margate & Longport.

The tidal salt marshes that are along the PRSL's ROW all the way west to Absecon.

An angler catching some "Snapper Blues" late in the day on the west side of the bridge.

The scene I talked about before near the terminal I remember from back in 1970.

Same scene at night with emergency lights from the fire apparatus.

A screenshot at dusk showing the navigational lights on the swing spans now.

Enjoy......
    - Mark -

Stunning...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzosa View Post
    Stunning...
    Thanks Rick. Coming for you that is a Badge of Honor.

Besides have to give the FUTURE CNJ 1970's SET from BLW/ZT a nice home when it is released. And the PRSL RDC set looks right at home. I feature them on many of the screenshots here because they are so fitting for this era.
    Last edited by MMSS; 01-27-2020 at 12:04 AM.
    - Mark -

Hi Mark,

Hah - there's a fish on them thar lines... LOL - too funny... You certainly have an eye for the details... All those cattails - are they a forest region or individual models ? Keep on keep'n on...

Regards,
    Scott

Can you say "working fire"!

Paul :-)