Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    All those cattails - are they a forest region or individual models ? Keep on keep'n on...
    Regards,
    Scott
    Scott I made them a Forest Region so it be a lot easier to populate areas. To do the next 5 miles to Absecon one by one each like that, I would be in Bellevue in a padded room after the 1st day.
    - Mark -

Just found out you call Bulrush's Cattails. Life would be so much easier if you lot learnt English like the rest of the World!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Just found out you call Bulrush's Cattails. Life would be so much easier if you lot learnt English like the rest of the World!
    Sorry but on this side of the pond, we don't use the "Queen's English" like putting "U's" in words that don't need them Oh, I take that back, that country just north of us does & speak "Frog" too.
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
    Sorry but on this side of the pond, we don't use the "Queen's English" like putting "U's" in words that don't need them Oh, I take that back, that country just north of us does & speak "Frog" too.
    LOL Interesting that you mention Canada and their French Connection .....because the French are just about the only other country that refuse to speak the English Language Of course we mustn't generalise so I'd say with the exception of the Pas de Calais, Normandy and Brittany all of whom manage quite well ....even if they still struggle with the fact that the correct name for La Manche is in fact The English Channel
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Default Update 3/1/2020 "The Bayshore, Union Beach & IFF"

​Hi gang ! Yes the work continues on the BCL Route update & this installment we are back to the bayshore along the old CNJ Seashore Branch. We last left off here on the Keyport - Union Beach border late last year. Two days ago I began in the east end near the Keansburg border & heading west to join up where I left off. I have 5 areas I am working on in the upgrade. I do that so I don't suffer from "Burn-out" while working on it.

The east end of Union Beach is most noted as having the last customer on the Seashore Branch into the Conrail era (1983). The customer was International Favors & Fragrances (IFF) which its actual home headquaters was 3 miles away Hazlet, NJ. This was a production plant that was open until 1997. When truck shipping & receiving became cheaper than using rail to them & Conrail's decision that they weren't going to upgrade the branch for one customer (even if they were a 7 day a week shipper / receiver at that time). The branch was embargoed in 1983 & all the tracks removed in 1988 to Matawan. This brought the end of the former CNJ's Seashore Branch. After IFF closing the NATCO plant in 1997 it became a NJ Superfund site (Surprising?) up until a few years ago. Now it is a Solar Array Farm because of it's unobstructed E & NE location on the banks of Raritan Bay. This location also was very, very hard hit back in 2012 by Hurricane Sandy. You might have rememberd the photo of the half of a house leaning, that was in Union Beach about 1/4 mile from here.

IFF was built on the site of the former NATCO - Lorrilard Brick Works after it closed in the 1950's. Because of the high amount of natural clay deposits in the area, it was one of the largest brick producers in the United States. At one point producing 100 million bricks a year. Bricks from NATCO were used in the building of the PRR's Newark Penn Station & even in the home I live in today that was built in 1920. The two clay pits were filled with fresh water to make a natural ecosystem to the area. In the early 1960's one of the worse Nor'easters to hit NJ breached the Raritan Bay with the easternmost pond creating a brackish water pond.

Below are some screen shots I took from the work I did to this area over the last 2 days. Work continues today heading towards the center of Union Beach to where I left off last time which is mostly residential. Also still have to make a few more custom road, business & municiple signs for the are & the water tank for the town too. After that, heading across Thones' Creek and into Keansburg on my way to Highlands then all the way down to West Long Branch.

The entrance into the IFF plant on Rose Lane in Union Beach, NJ.

Houses in the area were very simple at best during this era. The background is Thornes' Creek & Keansburg.

The JCP&L substation that was for the IFF plant on the corner of Rose Lane & Jersey Ave.

The entrance to the IFF facility was in front of the CNJ's Seashore Branch. The guard station was across it.

A west view of Jersey Avenue running parallel to the CNJ's tracks.

An overall look of the area looking east towards Thornes' Creek & Keansburg.

A view of the IFF facility & its siding. The IFF siding up to the end of service was still known as the NATCO Spur.

Custom signs for the area along with an old style wooden crossbuck with reflective lettering adds to the scene.

The guard station at the IFF plant. Complete with guard stations, gates, bollards & CCTV cameras. A little tweaking with sign & such still needs to be done.

A broad overall look of the area. Needs another day or so for fine tuning it.

Enjoy......
    - Mark -

Just WOW! That looks great! Small things, like that boat/trailer in the driveway and the Signs! Remarkable work.

Absolutely stunning!

You've captured the look and feel of NJ in former times very nicely.

Robert

Thanks Don & Robert. I am really trying to keep up with the area as I remember it growing up. Lucky my family were the type to never sit home on the weekends so I did get to see a lot.

One thing that I am making sure of on the upgrade is night time lighting. This branch in the later years that did a lot of evening & overnight switching. IFF for instance was on 24 call up to the end in 1983. The CNJ until the end use to keep power & all incoming cars for them at Red Bank Yard for fast turnaround. The later years into Conrail to the end, the same was done only out of Browns Yard in Sayerville, NJ

I want to be sure that night lighting for these duties are ample and realistic. Here are a few night screens of the same area I posted earlier. Still lots of work to be done on it for the full effect.

​Enjoy......
    - Mark -

Hi Mark,

Your use of vegetation is just over the top...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Mark,

Your use of vegetation is just over the top...

Regards,
    Scott
    Well you know the Jersey Shore, Scott. Back before the "Big Build" of the 1980's, tons of cattails, reeds, water grass & such along the coast. Then in the 1980's a lot of man-made lagoon lots & the troops started migrating from NYC & Philly.

The area I lived in 1980 when you compare it today. Totally unrecognizable. When I lived there, only 6 houses were on a street (With 2 side streets) were on it, Today, over 200 homes on it with 21 side streets. The 1980's building boom killed Utopia for me.
    - Mark -