Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Hi...

LOL - I hear ya - I've requested both irregular shaped forest regions - and forest regions where we could define multiple textures in a desired mix - to both Goku and ORTS - I believe these two concepts are "doable" but TSRE and ORTS needs to work together to accomplish it - maybe someday...

Regards,
    Scott

One thing I love on some of the fine routes that were made for MSTS and ORTS are the fine details you pick up. Like on Jeff Farquhar and Paul Peterson Surfliner Route there are very fine details you pick up on. My favorite in Encinitas, CA my favorite Mexican food place Roberto's is on it (Spent the summer of '82 at that place with my cousin). It is the little details that matter.

To me, road signs are a big detail to me. Whn heading down the tracks of a route you know in real life so well & see a highway sign, County Road number, maybe a park or historic marker. It immerses you more in the sim. That last update I showed you I was re-foresting the famous NJ Pine Barrens with native scrub pines in the Chatsworth, NJ area. Just have a bit to do to complete the area with them. I have the structures picked out for the area plus the clutter and poles. But one thing bothered me was I really didn't have signs that if the area well.

This afternoon and thank God for my very limited reskinning abilities, I made signs for this area I am now doing (Thank you Google Maps) that are all visible from the ROW. A few screenshots are below.

Chatsworth which is part of of Woodside Twsp. in Burlington County, NJ is part of the heart of the NJ Pine Barrens. For the County Road Signs for Routes 532 & 563, I made sure that "Burlington County" is marked in the signs because these routes do go through other counties also (Atlantic, Ocean etc.). Lebanon State Forest is part of the NJ State Park system run by NJ's EPA. Today it is actually named Brendan T. Byrne State Forest. It was renamed in 2004 but because of the era I am doing, am I going with the original name.

The two mark marker signs on both sides of the Lebanon State Forest sign are very interesting. They are an "Easter Egg" that actually exist today. The Chatsworth Historical Society put these two markers up. The one of the right commemorates the former CNJ's Chatsworth station. The station actually once was a busy hub was sold in 1952 and has been a private residence since.

The right hand one was placed with a little memorial area back in 2014. It commemorates the CNJ's Blue Comet & the 75th year of its derailment at milepost 89 in 1939. This was the only major derailment of the CNJ's most famous train when it hit a washout on one of South Jersey's most rainiest days in recorded history. It sits on was the ROW next to the historical society's building in real life but I will place it next to it on the route. Photos of what the real sings said are posted below.

Next post will show the newly revamped Chatsworth area (Cranberry Heaven) 98% done. I always love to go back and put in more little details, plus going to repaint the ROW thanks to TRSE5 making it so damn easy to do. Hope you like little details in a route as much as I do.

- Mark

I guess time to rework my spare time priorities now.... - Mark -

Just one thing sticks out in the shots and it's an issue with 99.9% of MSTS/OR routes. The road textures. Few roads have either uniform texture or edges? I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone had come up with a method of making the edges look more convincing and varying the surface textures? Some time back but if anyone can point to it that would really up the realism?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Realistic traffic signs? That's the kind of thing I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do. I've been working on a set of traffic signs to replace/add on to the sets I did a couple years ago. They were all nowhere near the right size, and once I realized that, I couldn't let it slide. I haven't messed much with Guide series signs, mostly because my projects are remote enough to avoid most types (the tracks are mostly along county roads). I'm sure you're aware of Vinnie Lanza's set of highway guide signs, right? They might be a bit large for the type in your images, but they may be useful elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    I'm sure you're aware of Vinnie Lanza's set of highway guide signs, right? They might be a bit large for the type in your images, but they may be useful elsewhere
    Vincent's sets are great. In fact they are coming into play greatly. In the route all of NJ's toll roads come into major play. The NJ Turnpike parallels (At times within feet) the CNJ's E'port & Perth Amboy line (Today's Chemical Coast Secondary), The Garden State Parkway plays over & under with the NY&LB (Today's NJT's NJCL), The Barnegat Branch & part of the old PRR's Atlantic & Long Branch ROW in Beachwood is part of the Parkway's connector. And of course The Atlantic City Expressway runs parallel to the PRSL mainline for 50+ miles.

Vincent's set is great for the tollroads & Interstates spanning the era I am doing, though a bit more modern. The two photos below show the signs using his set I made for the Toms River area on the route for the Garden State Parkway (GSP). The newer pentagon style county marker signs started in the 80's but NJ was in a test program for the Federal D.O.T. back in the mid 1970's. First time I seen the style was back in Ocean County around the Bicentennial. So they aren't too out of place.

The ones I made for around Chatsworth are to look like those old "Dark Green Board" smaller style signs that some had those old style reflector lettering. You remember the darker green signs with lettering that the letters had those little round reflectors in them. Those were the days before 3M or Avery reflector tapes and vinyls were popular.

So see I am anal retentive with realistic traffic signs too . Also with billboards that are from the era and are indigenous to the areas of NJ.

The Garden State Parkway heading north in Toms River

Garden State Parkway South in South Toms River. The was my old exit when I lived in Bayville in the early 1980's

Brings back memories. My father-in-law lives in Whiting and my old job had me doing field trips to Lakehurst and Earle (Colts Neck) as well as passing through Tom'e River quite a bit.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Had a bit of free time finally over the past weekend and a bit today so work continued in the Chatsworth area. The biggest part was re configuring Savoy Ave to be on the west side of where the tracks were. The area is about 75% done. have to finish the outskirts with scrub pines, a few more houses to put in, the hotdog stand & the car repair shop on 1st Street. Then a few of the fine details and tweaking.

I am really amazed on how easy it is to paint around the roadbed and the sides of the roads in TSRE5. Makes a huge difference to the scenery. Thanks Scott for bringing that up of a thread on here.

After I am satisfied with Chatsworth, I will be heading up towards Woodmansie and the Clayton sand area. This was a very important part of the CNJ's Sand Extras and is going to become a major player again when (Or If) the Gateway Project gets started. 10 years ago Clayton Sand along with the New Jersey Seashore Lines (Part of the CMSL) starting clearing the ROW from Clayton's Woodmansie pit to Whiting. After the CORE project stopped, it was made idle. But limited work has begun again making its way the Lakehurst. Shared Asset trains terminate at South Lakewood since about 2011 leaving Lakehurst idle but when the project starts, Lakehurst will be busy once again. Plus it will be the first time since 1990 trains will rolling on the Southern Division south of Lakehurst.

Here are a few screenshots of the work from over the weekend. To see the area today being worked on, click the Google Maps link here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8189...7i13312!8i6656

Welcome to the "NEW" Chatsworth. The is where Savoy Blvd. meets Main Street.

On Main Street heading east towards the tracks.

Like I said in an early post here, it is the little, finer details that count

Looking at The Chatsworth Historical Society that is next to the tracks on the east end.

The Historical Society's Blue Comet memorial dedicated in 2014, 75 years after the train's only accident of a derailment from a washout in 1939. It was just west of MP 86 when it happened. The memorial is actually build on what is left of the ROW there. I built it just east of the ROW so I could include it.

Looking at the corner of Main Street and 1st Street from the Historical Society's stairs.

It is really coming along with just 6 hours work put into this area.

On Google Maps, this yard is really a mess in the streetside view. I am trying to give it justice. I still have a bit more clutter to go.

I also included Steven West great ambient sounds in the area bring the sounds of the NJ Pine Barrens to life !

Hope you are enjoying the newer look. - Mark

Wow that looks good, Mark. Yes the right of way painting makes a big difference -- especially in the hands of one who is using it to its full advantage like you. Like the painting around the crossing relay box and especially the edges of the roads - something ignored by others even when they are painting.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Like the painting around the crossing relay box and especially the edges of the roads - something ignored by others even when they are painting.
    Christopher
    I know Chris. I was playing with that last night. I figured that Central & South Jersey is loaded with soft, sandy shoulders along those roads close to the beach and in the pines. I gave it a shot and loved the results. I bet if I play and tweak them a little more they will even come out better.

As I start head further south doing this, the sand color & texture changes a bit more and more. You will see the differences between here and say Winslow Jct. where the sand is more Silica based. And that is just a mere 20 miles. Inland sandy soil to the north become a bit darker when around the Lakewood - Earle areas. But glad to like the effect. The CNJ Southern Div Pack is going to look great running through this.

For just a few hours, that is pretty impressive. Now, about that relay box...did you make individual crossing identification plates for your crossings, or did you do what I did and use one for all the crossings on a particular railroad? Also, I've been redoing my traffic signs (I recognize a few in your shots) slowly because almost all of them are the wrong size. If you'd like, you can use them. I really should upload what I've got done so far