Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Default UPDATE 03/06/2019: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

Between having a few "Fun Runs" with the Monogame version of OR w/ ReShader & a few encouraging doctor visits. Work has continued on the The Blue Comet Lines route update. The pier end of NWS Earle is just about if not complete, just might add a few more details to the pier itself. Chatsworth is complete except for pole wires which I am going to do last on the route. The Route 72 area of Woodland Twsp. is also complete as is shown earlier in this post. Jersey City Terminal area is my go-between. Going to start putting in the NJ Turnpike Extension overpasses in soon.

I been working north towards Whiting on the Southern Division. Between Chatsworth & Whiting is a lot of nothing but scrub pines of the NJ Pine Barrens. Until you get into the southern section of Manchester Twsp., then you come into civilization. You first come into Ocean County Route 539 which is Roosevelt City Road. It is a main E-W road in the area & a major evacuation route during hurricane, nor'easter & fire seasons. This is about 2/3 of a mile south of the PRR/CNJ diamond in Whiting.

I did this area with the NJ Seashore Lines (NJSL) in mind. The NJSL is upgrading the Southern Division between Woodmansie & Lakehurst for future sand trains for the new NEC tunnels & new Portal Bridge into NYC. The trains would have been running if the original CORE Project wasn't canceled. But hopefully the GATEWAY project will see the light of day in the near future & the trains will roll on a part of the line that last seen a train around 1987.

So here are a few screens of the work I did yesterday on it. I still have more to do & adjusting the scenery too.

A view of the County Road 539 grade crossing from the signal box.

A NJSL signal crew working on the inner workings keeping things safe.

A closeup of the signal box & crew. Each box is marked accordingly between Lakehurst & Woodmansie.

The crossing gates are Safetran S-40 style. They look great in the view here.

You might notice that the "Emergency Call Plate" is in a weird spot. This is prototypical on some of the grade crossings on the line here. First picture is on the one I made up for the crossing & the second photo is one taken from Google Maps showing the sign at the actual grade crossing.

The old relay & battery use to be on the SW corner of the grade crossing. I put them in there just for added detail.

County Route 539 looking west towards Roosevelt City.

Looking west again on Route 539 this time across the tracks at the corner of Central Ave.

A CNJ SD35 #2508 & a cabin hitting the grade crossing. Looks like the NJSL is doing OK with the new truck the signal crew has.

ENJOY.........
    - Mark -

Very nice work, indeed...looks wonderful.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I have an improved model for the Jersey City Terminal Headhouse, if needed.

Hank Sundermeyer
    Newark, DE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Signalmaster View Post
    I have an improved model for the Jersey City Terminal Headhouse, if needed.Hank SundermeyerNewark, DE
    WOW Hank, incredible ! If you want to, I would love putting that in at Jersey City. I am going back to JC after I head up to Lakehurst on here. Just figuring my plan of attack for putting in the NJ Turnpike extension & for "The Raceway" between Communipaw & 8th Street, Bayonne.
    - Mark -

These are two shots, one in the original BC route and the other in the PRR Eastern Region.

scrgrb0.jpg/original BC
    scrgrb1.jpg/PRR Eastern

Hank
    Attached Images Attached Images

These are two shots, one in the original BC route and the other in the PRR Eastern Region. Hank
    Beautiful detail on it Hank. Glad they did at least save the headhouse. Lost the ferry building in the process of the late 1970's - early 80's restoration. It wasn't because of funding, after all they did put a brand new roof on it in 1980. It was because all the copper sheathing that covered the ferry building that was to be restored mysteriously disappeared. Yes, some was missing over the years from vandals, but 82% of the original copper existed.
    - Mark -

Default UPDATE 03/06/2019: Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" 1968-2000 Era in Progress

One thing I noticed in the photos in my update today. I had the wrong texture for the NJSL MOW trucks installed in the route. Now the proper ones for the doors have been installed. See the first two screenshots below.

Just north about a 1/4 of a mile north of Ocean County Route 539 is Diamond Road, the next grade crossing in Manchester Twsp. The street got its name for the proximity of the CNJ-PRR diamond near the Whiting station that was shared by both roads. There is talk of the NJSL putting automatic grade crossing signals on it. It has always has been marked by crossbucks. So I made it that that crossing was being rehabilitated and was closed for construction. I started playing with it about 2PM today and just put the main items in place. Still have a lot of fine tuning to do.

After this and Route 539 are done, I move up to Lacey Road which is the "downtown" area of Whiting if there is a downtown area of this now retirement home hamlet. That is quite a bit of work totally rebuilding Lacey road & Manchester Avenue with all the historic track in place. But it should be fun & can't wait for the outcome. Here are a few quick screenshots of Diamond Road with the MOW trucks "Right" textures.

ENJOY......
    - Mark -

A couple of people contacted me here about the NJSL MOW Truck Set. The trucks are from the MSTS MOW Service Trucks Megapack (mow_trucks_megapack.zip) by Philippe André in the forum library here.. This is a great set of trucks for MOW use or even local utilities. I made the set for the NJSL because work seems to be going on with the Southern Div. since 2006 to this day. I have made a sets for NJ Transit, Conrail, NS & CSX too.

I even made a few sets for local utilities for the Blue Comet Lines update too. Along the route you will see the trucks in schemes for Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L), Atlantic City Electric (ACE), Public Service Electric & Gas (PSE&G) & Seaside Electric. Plus for phone companies too like New Jersey Bell - Bell Atlantic & Verizon & cable companies like Adelphia, Storers, Monmouth Cable, UA Columbia, Comcast & Cablevision. Plus they are great for the bigger cities and towns for their DPW units.

So a great set, easy to label or reskin (And for me with my limited skills, that is easy !) with tons of uses. My complete set of NJSL trucks are shown below & the link to download on here too. Now back to work for me.

ENJOY..........
    - Mark -

These are two shots, one in the original BC route and the other in the PRR Eastern Region.

scrgrb0.jpg/original BC
    scrgrb1.jpg/PRR Eastern

Hank
    Given that i don't know much about the CNJ or how it's infrastructure was set up in Jersey City. Which of the two route's did a more accurate job of rebuilding the Jersey City Terminal and shops, in terms of scenery detail and building placement?

Blue Comet

or

PRR east?

Quote Originally Posted by stlsf4003 View Post
    Given that i don't know much about the CNJ or how it's infrastructure was set up in Jersey City. Which of the two route's did a more accurate job of rebuilding the Jersey City Terminal and shops, in terms of scenery detail and building placement?

Blue Comet

or

PRR east?
    Both have their limitations actually.

Track wise the Blue Comet Lines Route has more of the original 1900 era track design into the passenger terminal while the PRR-ER has the 1920 to 1967 (The end of service to the terminal) era design with the scissor throat. The PRR-ER has a much bigger freight yard that was just to the south of the passenger terminal though nu-prototypical. The BCL route has a bit of the Lehigh Valley's carfloat yard that was adjacent to the passenger terminal & the Morris Canal.

The Communipaw Engine Facility (On the west end by the terminal throat) is more prototypical with the twin turntables & roundhouses, sanding & coal areas on the BCL route while the PRR-ER only has a roundhouse-turntable adjacent to the terminal tracks. Both don't have the south yard or coal dump dock & yard or the National Docks (LV) trackage.

I do favor (Just speaking for myself) the BCL route because it does have the massive industrial infrastructure along all of the Hudson waterfront down to Bayonne, plus the same along "Refinery Row" from E'port to Perth Amboy (Today's Chemical Coast Secondary) which the PRR-ER lacks.

Also the PRR-ER is lacking a lot of industries & sidings along the CNJ's track on the route. Well after all, it is a PRR route. Even on joint tracks like the NY&LB, the PRR-ER is missing a lot of sidings & industry & major ones like the Lily Cup Company in Holmdel. Plus the BCL has a lot of historical lines like the Tuckerton RR, PRR's Camden & Long Branch from Whiting to Bay Head Jct. & the CNJ's Seashore Branch from Matawan all the way to West End where it reconnects with the NY&LB again. The route also contains the CNJ's Barnegat Branch.

If switching the CNJ or LV on the Hudson waterfront one likes better, then Teemu's Jersey City & Newark route is even a bit better than the BCL. The freight yards are bigger for the CNJ & LV and is based on the 1970's. Plus there is the National Docks trackage along with the LV's Claremont Terminal. This is a great switching route of the NJ Hudson Waterfront featuring the CNJ, LV, EL (Erie or DLW also), HBS & PC (PRR & NYC also). This was basically built as a switching route more than a passenger one.

I know I gave more info than asked but hope this helps.
    - Mark -