Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MILWAUKEE ROAD Spokane Extension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MILWAUKEE ROAD Spokane Extension

Hello Everyone,

This topic is to post news and get some help regarding a slight modification and extension of the Milwaukee Road Idaho Division Route.

A couple of weeks ago I started to add some scenery to this route, started from Avery ID, heading west. I added some new species of vegetation, wired poles, changed signals to searchlights (as they were in real life), replaced switchstands etc. When I reached Plummer junction, I decided to take a break in the detailing and create the MILW passenger route across Spokane.

Thanks to the Cascade Rail Foundation, I've got the track profile and a few station maps from https://research.milwelectric.org. Fortunately, the ROW maps of the entire Spokane area is available there. It's very useful because in the 70's there were a slight modification of the track network at Spokane. In this route, the goal is to represent the earlier state of the network, with the GN and NP stations facing each other at the river, etc.

At the moment, tracks laid down between Plummer and Spokane, the first test consist reached the MILW freight yard at East Spokane. Next task is the UP yard, which is adjacent to the MILW yard. After that, GN and NP freight yards will be created, and then we get into the middle of things, the multiple ROWs across Spokane downtown...

As for the Spokane-Marengo section of the MILW passenger route, my plan is to import it from the BNSF Lakeside Sub route.

I think I'll have a lot of questions in this topic. I'll be very thankful for every piece of help.

I hope if I manage finish this and get the permissions to offer it to the Community, it'll be a fun for You all.

As I mentioned, MILW freight yard is laid down. Here You can see the first test in OpenRails, and a small experiment to apply wornout tracks to the yard.
    Open Rails 2019-02-01 06-36-55.jpg Névtelen2.jpg

Halfway between Portland and Seattle in the Shifting Sands

Excellent! Keep plugging alone and good luck.

Peter, I do worry this might not work in MSTS thus loosing the back compatibility of the Milw routes. This is a problem with TSRE5 and one Goku seems to not be aware of.

Robert

Sounds like a cool project. I was not aware of MILW using searchlights on the main, but perhaps I've seen pictures and I just didn't think about it.

While it will take a bit more work, I would urge you against using the Lakeside route for the Spokane to Marengo portion, as the Lakeside route is very inaccurate on track alignment throughout. That's just my thoughts though

P.S. The Spokane area is my home, so feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Also, historical aerial imagery is your friend! https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/Pro...LLAN_ORTS.HTML

Building continues

Plummer-Spokane trackwork is done, ans the scenery is intact between Plummer and Saxby WA. I will continue to Spokane, but I think the urban area there won't be highly detailed. This is because I don't have much info about the pre-1970 Spokane, just the old aerials which are not so good quality. Although, some unique buildings will be made, and that wil slow down the progress...

Meanwhile filling in Spokane, I'll continue the tracks towards Marengo.

This is my first big route building project, and life is busy now for me, so I'm not saying that it'll be completed in 2020... we'll see.

P.S. some screenshots can be seen in the "MILW Routes" thread.

Thank You for all.

Yepp, there were searchlights on the PCE, AFAIK between Avery and Othello (except dark territory, of course).

MSTS compatibility could be good, but I won't test it. We have a new sim and now also a route editor, and I think the time has come to exploit the benefits of them. Sorry, I know why You protest against ORTS, but I surely beleive that the problems You have with it will be solved.

Meanwhile, tracks of UP yard finished, and I started to change the track textures to some kind of wornout ones in case of the yard tracks. The results can be seen here. Some of the tracks will remain the brownish one, a just had to batch rename every piece in the world files to the wornout ones and now changing back some parts to the brown ones. What do You think, is it nice enough to worth the effort of manual changing hundreds of track shapes, or I'd better save time and leave the same brownish track texture everywhere?

Peter

Open Rails 2019-02-05 04-14-51.jpg Open Rails 2019-02-05 04-15-26.jpg
    Last edited by oliver2; 02-04-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Meanwhile, trackwork at the NP-GN-UP-MILW interlocking and the NP's Yardley-Parkwater Yard Complex is completed.

Notice the brown curved tracks in the first screenshot. Although I changed the track shapes in case of the yard tracks at the UP yard, I realized that curved tracks remained brown. This is because of the OR's superelevation function. I don't want to turn off superelevation, so I guess the solution will be to replace curved sections with dynamic track, then explode them with dynatrack tool. I hope that after that I can change the textures of the exploded sections to the wornout ones.
    Open Rails 2019-02-07 06-01-23.jpg Open Rails 2019-02-07 06-52-27.jpg Open Rails 2019-02-13 04-52-20.jpg

Thank You Mr Sullivan, we'll see. There are pretty good pre-made city blocks available, which can makes the filling easy and fast.

Not bad, the shades looks like the same, but the signal head is on a console. Travis' signal type looks like the real ones, espacially when observing the pole or the target. We'll see if he wants to build the laddered version.