Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MILWAUKEE ROAD Spokane Extension

I too am impressed.

Since everyone is offering advice, I'll give my two cents. Get something out the door when it is a logical break point. Then if you get the motivation to do the yards or anything else, people can be working with what you've already got. And it will be out in the world and thus backed up if the worst happens (to you more than to your computer). If you take things in smaller chunks between releases, the stakes are lower.

Anyway, take that for what it is worth - you're doing it, I'm laying back and running my mouth. And I'm appreciating what you've done.

This is going to be one of the best routes of the new year.

The standards to which this route is being built is right on par with the other Milwaukee Road routes. In fact, I think this route is slightly higher quality. Excellent!

Robert

Now I'd like to ask for some help.

On the picture below You can see the east end of MILW and UP yards. The question is: where should I place signals, and which one of them?

I'm pretty sure that every yard track needs a buried absolute signal. But I'm not sure I have to place visible signals to the MILW yard. So I thought I place visible absolutes to the MILW-UP track joining, and an absolute to the main line (the track at the bottom), and thats it. Of course, the opposite direction will have one permissive. What do You think?

Note that this route has ABS.

question1.jpg

Meanwhile I forgot to answer: OK then, Hillyard will be created in a simplified version. There was also a repair shop, it won't be represented in the route. I like yards, they can be populated with static carstrings, so the yard will be created in some form, but not now. And then, the way is open to east to reach Athol, and to west to reach... who knows

question1a.jpg

Here's how I'd place those signals, marked with blue triangles. I wouldn't think every track in the UP yard would necessarily need a signal. I would probably put a visible dwarf on both leads just before they meet and enter the main. That track in the middle of the yard might warrant an entering dwarf signal, as well. I would use a couple high signals on the main at the main yard lead switch on the far right, with the option to show Restricting for movements entering the yard leads

Thanks, I did it that way.

Another question: how do I batch uncompress terrtex ace files? AceIt can batch compress, but not to uncompress...

I'll second conductorchris. If you remember, 2 years ago Don Karch passed away with Lymphoma. He knew
    several weeks ahead, that his days were numbered, so he sent all his "in progress" material to Andre Ming.
    Then, Andre sent me the Colorado mega route, which I then completed, although what route is ever
    really completed?. We never know. I'm 81 and have a number of routes in progress, so I asked Nels
    to create the "incomplete" category and I put some routes there, and over time will likely put more.
    Some will have only track & some roads done, others may be complete except for linked items.

MakeAce doesn't works either. I hope the solution isn't the Route Riter, because I did not manage to install it properly on my PC...

Release of the test version is nearby. It contains a slightly re-scenerized Avery-Othello section, as well as the newly created, scenerized and signalled Plummer-East Spokane route. Also contains the full track network which goes through Spokane downtown, and the NP Parkwater yard, with no scenery or signals.
    I made a test to find out how big it'll be when compressed with 7-zip. Well, it'll be around 3 or 4 gigabytes, which isn't bad, but barely downloadable for standard members.
    It'll be necessary to batch convert 1024x1024 terrtexes to TGA, then reducing them to 512x512, and then reconvert to ACE. But I don't know how...

Quote Originally Posted by oliver2 View Post
    Thanks, I did it that way.

Another question: how do I batch uncompress terrtex ace files? AceIt can batch compress, but not to uncompress...

Well, as a lack of better idea, I'll use TGATool and try to automate the work with windows macro. We're speaking of nearly 3000 files, so it'll take time...