Thread: Hey, Phil......

Cool Hey, Phil......

It happened again like:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ou-made-for-us

and I followed the instructions you gave but I still can't find:

The Innter Kohn Nection Narrow Guage Railroad

that you featured in a YouTube vidieo of TRS 2019 routes.

Is it so new that you haven't uploaded it yet???

I was just messing with the Port Zyd & Fulazturn Railroad and I have a hard time figuring out how to get where I want to go and your new one is one that looks like a less complicated track plan that I can follow. I did get the Cili Oldphartz routes and I think I may be able to navagate those so I'm going to play with them for a while till I can get the Innter Kohn Nection Narrow Guage Railroad.

I was also wondering how that youtube stuff is working out for you and it occured to me that it might help you if I subscribed to your channel. I went to do that the last time but balked when they wanted me to set up some kind of account with them but I guess I have to bite the bullet and do that for you.

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

Hi Willy --

The Innter Kohn Necktion. I submitted it into the N3V payware DLC approval system way back in September last year. There could be a number of reasons for the delay in making it available, including:
    a) N3V hate me.
    b) N3V think model layouts have very limited appeal.
    c) The assessment team have been totally overwhelmed by DLC submissions.
    d) All the N3V resources have been tied up with TRS19 and patching.
    e) N3V is totally incompetent.

Of course, the above are not mutually exclusive and several or all could apply. All I can say is that I hope the layout will be available "soon". Though whether "soon" should be measured in glacial or geological time is a moot point.

Finding your way around. Either zoom out in Driver until the industry names become available. Or use the map view:
    Click M to bring up the Map View.
    You can zoom using the mouse wheel or PageUp/Down.
    You can re-centre the map with mouse right click, or pan with Ctrl-cursor keys.
    To see the Track Markers used to designate industries, menu top left, ticks against "Markers" and "Trackside Labels" (others optional though they may clutter the Map View)
    Click M to exit Map View.
    If necessary, click 2 to take you back to the locomotive external view.

At the moment I'm updating both "Port Zyd" and "The Shortz" to TRS19 standards. It's a much bigger task than I anticipated.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Hi Willy --

The Innter Kohn Necktion. I submitted it into the N3V payware DLC approval system way back in September last year. There could be a number of reasons for the delay in making it available, including:
    a) N3V hate me.
    b) N3V think model layouts have very limited appeal.

Phil
    Regarding A and B... seriously???? And I'm serious asking this. I'm assuming A has to be pure sarcasm. B. I find B a bit incredulous too. At one time the hobby was loaded with model railroaders (well, going just a little bit back in time to 2001 to at least 2003) who would've, like me, loved this kind of thing. Not to mention, I thought B was the origin of Trainz.

Anyway, to be polite, if you are being serious, I have learned that any applicant into the commercial train-game making developer like "company so and so" (insert your favorite train game developer), the most important applicant character trait must be narcissist. If that's missing from the description of the CEO, manager or employee, you can be sure that person isn't hired.

BTW. I've seen some of the route pictures (I hardly ever look at these train game stuff anymore) for the route mention and they are gorgeous! Kudos to you Phil!

Rich

I would go with e) all the others are subjective opinions.

But e) is as certain as night follows day.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Hi guys --

Most of my post was meant to be in jest, certainly not to be taken too seriously.

I think the most likely options of the five are or were c) and d).

But, bye the way, the latest N3V newsletter says that the Innter Kohn Necktion (standard gauge and narrow gauge versions) have been released for the Gold Class subscribers. I'm not Gold Class so I'm unable to confirm whether this is indeed the case and, if it is, whether the released versions are the ones I submitted.

Actually, I couldn't anyway -- I'm on vacation in Croatia and thus well away from my Trainz desktop PC.

There is an abusive posting in the N3V payware Forum complaining about certain aspect of the layouts. On that basis I should assume it has gone live without my knowledge.

rich --

Thanks for the comment about the layouts. Coming from you that is certainly appreciated.

Phil

I am a gold member and i have both versions of your route.

They were available Friday i think it was.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by rgarber View Post
    ...... Not to mention, I thought B was the origin of Trainz....
    That was Greg Lane's intention, Rich.

Greg was the brains behind Trainz; he and a couple of others founded Auran and it was Greg's dream to produce a programme with which a player could create and run virtual train layouts.....and that is exactly what Phil does.

Back then (2001) there was little, if any, thought given to the ability of Trainz Surveyor to be able to create long, prototypical routes.....and then I pushed the envelope with Robe River.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

A long time ago I tried doing something like this in Railworks and it was no-go from the start. The closest I could get was my earlier two routes in Rail Simulator trying to make them something like a model railroad layout. It's not a bad idea to do a route this way because it shortens the build time tremendously. Linear prototype routes take forever to build. And one thing I saw building my two Rail Simulator routes was you could being able to use the same scenes multiple times whereas in a linear route you rarely get the chance to use a scene more than once. I always thought it was a shame we couldn't even attempt something like this in Railworks. - rich