Thread: Barstow Yard Video

Default Barstow Yard Video

Hi Guys, just in case some of you are not aware, here's a Good video of Barstow yard showing some yard operations and run by's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQ85aBz3C0

what I found of most interest in this video is the locomotives that are being used for the yard and trim jobs with their lashup or configuration, that is that all locomotives are Short hood forward setups.

I have always placed my locomotive switch engines back to back assuming that this was correct prototypical practice but after looking at this video and pictures on the internet it appears the Yard crews at Barstow favor all locomotives in a consist or lash ups with short hood forward setups most of the time, at least on the trim jobs and moving wagons to the departure yards and local yard etc.

Here's an example of the engine configuration I'm talking about,

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/511629/

Locomotives configured back to back would be used on the hump and probably at the old yard.

Does any one have insight into how the yard crews at barstow prefer arranging their locomotives for various duties ?.

Looking at some of the locomotives in the video, We have SD40-2, GP60B, and a EMD yard slug and after a bit of a search I have found 3 pictures of some of the units that match what we see in the video who appear to be permanent residents of Barstow yard.

SD40-2

http://www.railpictures.net/photoexif/514194/

GP60B

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/558107/

slug

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/511573/

It would be nice to have a list of the type of locomotives that are permantly assigned to Barstow, from some of the pictures I have seen, they have SD39-2 and SD40-2R remote control locomotives assigned their as well.

The latter part of this video shows the old Barstow Yard with a least six of the tracks occupied with freight cars, with some of them possibly arranged for Cadiz etc.

Thinking about how Barstow and Waycross classification yard's etc are unique with their own locomotives and procedure's, I'm wondering is there a interest among us Run8 fans to have specific Yard locomotive packs.

For example I don't think it would not take much for john and the team to do a specific Barstow locomotive pack, just reskin some Sd40-2 locomotives with remote control labels etc and add roof Air conditioners and specific road numbers for those engines etc.

I Just think yard locomotive packs would add a little bit of extra authentic atmosphere for crews during sessions.
    Last edited by WesternDivision; 02-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.

nose to tail, we in the business call that "Elephant-Style". Run8 has so many requests for various units, bet getting rather tired. I too have my prefs, though, if anything else, would prefer what's inplace already be even further detailed/realistic, rather than new eye candy. None the less, I'll except anything Run8 cares to offer along the way. Still 2nd to none. Keep Up The Great Work!.

Just adding another great Barstow YouTube video Link;

Busy Time On Barstow's West Side (w/Race)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Dlm3la6B0

And some Inter-modal expansion development news for Barstow.

City of Barstow Announces Expansion of Barstow Railyard (October 31, 2018)

https://www.vvng.com/city-of-barstow...stow-railyard/

BNSF nears completion of Barstow facility (Apr 12, 2019)

https://www.vvdailypress.com/news/20...rstow-facility

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Dlm3la6B0

And some Inter-modal expansion development news for Barstow.

City of Barstow Announces Expansion of Barstow Railyard (October 31, 2018)

https://www.vvng.com/city-of-barstow...stow-railyard/

BNSF nears completion of Barstow facility (Apr 12, 2019)

https://www.vvdailypress.com/news/20...rstow-facility
    I had modded the default-DS-Panel for a different look/feel, to reflect reinstall/expansion of IM area, some time ago (early-V2), whiles operating with Sean/RTS. In the past, Barstow used to handle (pigs) for the most part, along what we called "the backside" of present receiving area. Thank You for the update.

BAR-DS_Screen.jpg

I have been trying to determine the spot at which the video was shot but in Run 8 I cannot figure out where it was.
    There isn't a road-bridge in which fits the location and I can only think that the bridge does not exist in the sim.

The reason I'm curious is that I wanted to reproduce in Run 8 the situation videoed by the gentleman and record an in-sim video capture.

Any ideas? Anyone? Don't be shy!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Originally Posted by scottmartin

I had modded the default-DS-Panel for a different look/feel, to reflect reinstall/expansion of IM area, some time ago (early-V2), whiles operating with Sean/RTS. In the past, Barstow used to handle (pigs) for the most part, along what we called "the backside" of present receiving area.
    Thank You for the update.
    Hi Scott

I have been searching for pictures showing the development and construction of the yard, with no success so far.

Very curious as to how much land is actually allocated for this project and what Intemodals BNSF plans to run to Barstow.

Nice graphic work on your dispatch screen, really like the classification yard insert.

Originally Posted by seagoon

I have been trying to determine the spot at which the video was shot but in Run 8 I cannot figure out where it was.
    There isn't a road-bridge in which fits the location and I can only think that the bridge does not exist in the sim.
    Bruce the video is filmed near the west switch for the Cajon Connector at Jewell 5.4 ( Lenwood - JEWELL - Barstow ) looking towards Barstow.

The overpass is Highway 58 Bypass which is not in the game.

Are you trying to recreate the BNSF baretable and Union Pacific Intremodal drag race for your next video?

Cheers

James

Hi Scott

I have been searching for pictures showing the development and construction of the yard, with no success so far.

Very curious as to how much land is actually allocated for this project and what Intemodals BNSF plans to run to Barstow.

Cheers

James
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
    Here's a portion of info:

BARSTOW UPDATE APR-13-2019— Construction of the $27 million intermodal facility at the BNSF rail yard in Barstow is nearly finished, according to media relations BNSF.
    “It’s pretty close to completion, since the work has been a steady progress,”
    The addition to the yard will add two production tracks totaling 6,600 feet for BNSF cargo trains. Another 640 parking stalls have been added to accommodate shipping containers attached to chassis, ready to be moved by trucks once they are delivered by rail.
    The addition of the interim intermodal facility will primarily be used to offset pressure from lift yards at other BNSF locations. “If they are in need of additional space to offload, then the Barstow facility will be able to handle the overload,”.
    BNSF has about 1,000 employees at the Barstow yard. That number is not expected to increase, but jobs could be added if cargo container deliveries increase.

I've included a quick snapshot of work. Barstow-Re-Expansion.jpg

..........The overpass is Highway 58 Bypass which is not in the game......
    Ahhhh-haaaa!!
    So, I was right and hadn't become lost as I wandered around the desert-like landscape looking for it!

Thanks, James....and also for the location.
    I'll go and set my camera up and see what I can recreate.......that drag race looks great in the video.

EDIT.
    Yep....just went into Run 8 and found that spot. Got it now.
    Thanks again, James.
    Last edited by seagoon; 04-30-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Originally Posted by scottmartin

I've included a quick snapshot of work.
    Thanks Scott for the information and picture.

It will be interesting to see what effect this new Barstow inter-modal yard has on the San Bernardino inter-modal yard, and for truck delivery times for those trucks that will no longer need to run up Cajon pass from San Bernardino etc.

The ever changing inter-modal operations of BNSF are interesting, close Fresno, upgrade Stockton, build new at Barstow etc.

Does any one have insight into how the yard crews at barstow prefer arranging their locomotives for various duties ?.
    I never worked in Barstow, but in Denver it came down to 2 things: how the locos would be used, and what the roundhouse could put together. If an RC yard job is just switching cars all day, or pushing cuts over the hump, then it really doesn't matter how the locos are facing as long as they pull reasonably well and stop reliably. The SD40's are nice and heavy and usually suit any switching job. The crew has little reason to spend much time in the cab.

If the yard job needs to travel some distance to go service a customer, make a transfer run, or go over grade crossings, then the facings of the consist can make a bigger difference, giving the crew someplace to ride other than out on the steps in the weather. If it's a conventional job (has an engineer), that makes a huge difference.

None of that matters if the roundhouse can't find two back-to-back locos and doesn't have the time to wye one of them. The yard crews are always at the mercy of the roundhouse foreman. If all the foreman can put together is a pair of nose-to-nose GP39's, then that's what you're getting, and you adjust your work accordingly. As long as the RC boxes link up, it's switching time.