Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

Well, it all looks very interesting, I suppose it depends on how many employees this company has and the speed to which they turn over all the improvements and modifications they wish to achieve in the timeframes allowed, it's certainly come on leaps and bounds since it first started, I also like the coupling mechanism, and the fact that the buffers actually retract when they kiss the wagon coupling up, brilliant stuff.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

I actually posted on Alan Thomson (which I think DTG passively monitor) that we could do with that to replace the vanilla coupling and uncoupling in TSW (other than where autocoupler fitted stock is used, of course).
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    It was more fun in those days Bruce. .......
    Good heavens - I hadn't thought about those multiple boot discs for eons, Vern! That brings back lots of computer-game memories, that's for sure.

After reading the comments from the others, I may just reinstall DV and let it update and try it.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yes I do like the coupling mechanic. Never did it myself but probably one of the most dangerous jobs on the railway (as a couple of the UK heritage railways have sadly found out in recent years). When you get down between those vehicles you can never be 100% certain something isn't going to move.
    One advantage of our 3'6" gauge was you didn't need to get between the vehicles. Watching experienced guards or shunters coupling up on the move was always 'interesting' though, leaning over the buffer of the moving vehicle and throwing the coupling over the hook of the stationary one before it rolled away. I never mastered that and always got the driver to buffer up first.

Fun days, I'm glad I now drive electric trains with Scharfenburg couplers.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    Fun days, I'm glad I now drive electric trains with Scharfenburg couplers.
    Plug and play!

However I know from my time in the Provincial/Wales and West etc. control that the BSI couplers on the Sprinter DMU's are very prone to damage. Quite often had several running round with "non-multi" restrictions on one or even both ends. If they ended up swapped into a diagram booked to couple, cue frantic phone calls to find out which way the dud end was facing. Autocouplers also make assistance in the event of failure more challenging, as generally can only assist with stock that has the same coupler type. Nightmare scenario then a failed Sprinter with non-multi on the front and a loco hauled freight stood behind...

Good heavens - I hadn't thought about those multiple boot discs for eons, Vern! That brings back lots of computer-game memories, that's for sure.
    The worst were the military flight sims, TFX, EF2000 and Tornado. I must have spent several hours trying to get those working, especially Tornado as I think you needed the CD in the drive to verify.
    Vern.

.....The worst were the military flight sims, TFX, EF2000 and Tornado......
    I loved "Tornado".
    That and the "Falcon" series were on a succession of my PCs.
    Multiple boot-discs in each box.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Plug and play!

However I know from my time in the Provincial/Wales and West etc. control that the BSI couplers on the Sprinter DMU's are very prone to damage. Quite often had several running round with "non-multi" restrictions on one or even both ends. If they ended up swapped into a diagram booked to couple, cue frantic phone calls to find out which way the dud end was facing. Autocouplers also make assistance in the event of failure more challenging, as generally can only assist with stock that has the same coupler type. Nightmare scenario then a failed Sprinter with non-multi on the front and a loco hauled freight stood behind...
    Reminds me of when I did the guard's school in 2003 and one of the tutors decided to demonstrate fitting the emergency knuckle coupler to a Scharfenburg on an EMU but thought he could carry it himself instead of getting one of us to assist and dropped it on his foot putting him in hospital for the next couple of days. In 17 years in train crews I've never had to do it but railways can always be hazardous if you don't follow the instructions.

As a Controller, I did arrange for an emergency coupler to go out once, during the severe winter of 1990/91 we had a Class 155 with the brake system iced up stood between Bath and Bristol. Call to Bath Road (Bristol) Depot, driver available on to a Class 47 loco with a fitter and out to the Sprinter. Emergency coupler fitted, brakes blown off and slowly dragged at 10 MPH into Bristol Temple Meads. But generally it was a situation to avoid if possible.

Back to Derail Valley, I am finding the new economy quite tough to make much headway vs. the costs of maintenance and fuel. The little diesel shunter chews through fuel at a ridiculous rate to the point at which I ran out and had to make my way back to the closest location to find a fresh engine (you can no longer just spawn locos where you like). Two things actually arose from that - 1. There are no handbrakes fitted to the loco or railcars to secure the train and, 2. We need a simulation of detonator protection - BANG BANG BANG so you don't ram into the back of your failed train.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vern.

Yes. was sad to discover no handbrake use. Certainly would be nice having torpedoes & fusees with us.
    Hell, even trigging available along the RofW, a simple skate stowed-away would be a nice option.
    That little DV trackmobile (shunter) worse than our own, having been pulled from scrap, resurrected long ago.
    Graphics looking very nice though, I do like to look / feel esp. the tankcar ends, looking like surface roughness, blistering,
    whatever wish to call it. Something different from the other sims / games.

Well the additional 8Gb of RAM arrived and successfully installed (second time as I hadn't quite seated it properly first time), about to test and see if it helps.

Also got a GTX 1650 graphics card arriving tomorrow which will hopefully boost things nicely.
    Vern.