Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    There are a lot worse places than ts.com Vern, as you rightly say.

I have to say this sorry but even the name is dumb................. Derail Valley
    That has been pointed out to the devs by quite a few people, me included, but hasn't cut much ice. After seeing the last YT vid of tanker cars exploding they might even be renaming it Boom Valley. Silly game mechanic to have IMHO, while it can happen in the absolute worst circumstances (Summit Tunnel, Bradford On Tone for the UK), they don't just explode. The tank cars are built to withstand a fair amount of punishment and in most cases it is a combination of circumstances that caused the fire.
    Vern.

last I heard from those folks not too long ago were thinking of name change "Delay Valley". "Derail Valley" seemed fitting to me, for derailing far too easy. I've yet to visit Steam this morn for the latest auto-update. I do like from watching the pre-vids latest effects for a change of pace.

Actually tankcars are not as strong as you may believe, &, that I know first hand having been certified in tank repairs & seeing construction first hand.

"The tank cars are built to withstand a fair amount of punishment and in most cases it is a combination of circumstances that caused the fire".

Try telling that line the Poor folks of Lac Megantic. Hell, during trncrew days recall having tanks punctured with bullet holes along our journeys. Implosions are lots of fun too. Been near several of those during my yrs.

Thanks for that re the tank cars, I was forgetting the Lac Megantic tragedy though reading the reports into the incident it was a sequence of events and poor management that combined to create the terrible event.

I think you will find the update goes live around teatime here in the UK, 1700 or 1800 UTC so I will probably end up grabbing it later.
    Vern.

every mishaps large / small is a sequence of events, goes without saying. Nature of the beast.
    Let one of those tanks squash you, see if you'll be saying "poor management" ..lol..

When I was small riding my first bike when I fell off, skinned my knees had me saying "Poor Management", hell no.
    Had me saying "Holy F" "Stupid Bike", "F" the doctor, "great least now can't make it to school".
    "
    Thanks Mom & Dad", "I'll have those cookies & milk now".

Course later in life should have taken Mom & Dad (RIP) to court for contributing to my poor health feeding me all those Cookies & Milk leading to diabetes, heart disease, broken back, old age. you name it...rrr… "Poor Management".

was a typo in my last reply corrected: last I heard from those folks not too long ago were thinking of name change "Delay Very".

latest DV auto-update to begin 010:00 PST
    Last edited by SMRY; 05-21-2020 at 08:38 AM.

I guess in the end, I'll except any RR Game / Sim with or without their faults, for each has something to offer, least keeps the RR days alive, &, perhaps spark interest in the railroad life, esp. where many youngsters haven't the faintest clue, nor interest outside of electronics. Beside, til I can do / design / program better than the developers of these gams/sims really can't run my mouth about their abilities. Other words "if you can do better" "put your money where your mouth is", "get off your arse", "blah blah blah". besides, til I can do/build better, really can't fault developers, when it come to myself / others. Such is daily life, Oh Joy!...
    Last edited by SMRY; 05-21-2020 at 09:13 AM.

We had the Total Oil fire in Langley in the early 1970's.

Tankers unloading, that was a nasty one.

Sorry i do not subscribe to the idea, that just because i cannot create a train game, route, model myself.

That i have no validity to criticise. I also don't know how to build cars, washing machines, televisions etc.

But i am still more than capable of recognising a bad one or poorly made one.

Complete nonsense, people that create train software should some how be untouchable.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

sorry, wasn't saying can't have a voice so to speak., but really unable rundown, nor say lots if indeed unable to put our mouth where the money is.. Like visiting a mechanic, telling how to do the work, they'd tell ya to "take a flying "F" on a rolling donut, & the horse ya rode in on". Human Nature, shoulda, coulda, woulda, but, what the "F". not seeing you do it. Welcome to the real world. sounds like daily life otherwise. Not directed at anyone, but, all not doing it, myself included.

Looks like game over for me on Derail Valley. Turns out the game in its new form needs 16Gb of RAM and I only have 8Gb. It did load and run but took forever to exit and when I restarted the PC just now it ran Chkdsk on the C: Drive so looks like it did some damage in the process.

Will have to wait until I can get around to fitting more RAM (a minefield as I don't even know if I've still got the motherboard manual to check compatability) or a new PC!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Looks like game over for me on Derail Valley. Turns out the game in its new form needs 16Gb of RAM .......
    Good grief! That's a bit over-the-top for such a game.
    I've got 16Gb on this new machine but I'm not going to waste any of it on DV.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Surprised to hear you only have 8GB of sys ram Vern.

16GB is the norm for gaming these days, i have 32GB.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt