Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .......Two things actually arose from that - 1. There are no handbrakes fitted to the loco or railcars to secure the train and, 2. We need a simulation of detonator protection - BANG BANG BANG so you don't ram into the back of your failed train.
    Vern, it may be well worthwhile in suggesting these to the developer, as they seem to appreciate constructive criticism.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I have done Bruce and they are taking it on board. As regards making money in the game, I've picked up on a couple of hints which I'll post in the morning (bedtime here in UK now).
    Vern.

Okay it seems there are few oddities with how the economy works in the current version of the game.

There is an odd insurance arrangement called Copay which early game is set at 5000 credits and covers the cost of refuelling your loco, any damages or fees you have incurred. The problem is, most of the early haul jobs you can access only pay around 6000 - 7000 credits. The trick (apparently) is to manually refuel the locomotive which is much cheaper and allow any other fees to mount up. The Copay is the same 5000c whether your debt pile is 10000 credits or 100000 credits. You only need to settle your Copay when buying a new license for the bigger locos or to do more elaborate jobs. Weird, but that's how it is.

To make money early in the game, don't ignore the shunting jobs. These may be a bit boring (I always skip those types of scenario in the other sims) but they pay nearly as much as the haul jobs available to new drivers early game, but use less fuel and can be completed quickly.
    Vern.

I was watching and waiting for the Overhauled update, and of course it was delayed a month. When it finally came out last week I bought the game and since then have struggled to put it down! I think I logged 14 hours (a lot for me with a one year old who doesn't like napping at home) over the course of four days.

I agree that the service charges are excessive, when I started out I made a number of mistakes like failing to understand the difference between shunting and hauling jobs (why put where the cars are going to eventually be going on the workorder? I don't need to know that if all I'm doing for this job is pulling them out of the mill and putting them into the departure yard) or the whole business with 'fees'.

Before I fully understood how to drive, I managed to overheat, run through all my sand, and spin my wheels down to oblivion trying to get up that spiral-tunnel hill to the north of the starting point. I had to go and get a rescue loco to retrieve my failed train, and promptly banged them together so hard while coupling up that I broke all the windows.

Some time later, I got very lucky: There were two jobs from the Machine Factory and Town to the Harbour, hauling automobiles and tractors. I combined these and my little shunter quite adeptly carried them without incident all the way and in good time. The pay for these, together with the time bonus, paid off all my outstanding fees and allowed me to get the kettle licence.

While the steamer is a lot of work (the only thing worse than the amount it drinks is the scarcity of places to refill the water tank - like really, the diesel shop doesn't have provision for water?) it is immensely powerful and fast. I wish that somewhere on the map there was a proper double track main line that we could open it up on! Even the spots where the limit is 120kph aren't very big, and sometimes it then drops back down for a badly designed junction with a 50kph limit!

Yes I am still only driving up to around 60 km/h due to the sudden pop up speed restrictions.

Now I've (sort of) worked out how to make a bit more money I'm debating whether to go for the steam loco or big diesel next, though by all accounts the latter chews through the fuel.
    Vern.

I have noticed the steam loco's internal physics are greatly simplified - the amount of water you add and the temperature of the fire doesn't seem to matter so long as there's *some* of each. The pressure gauge still just shoots right up way past the max and you have power for days. In contrast to the Black 5 or K4S in TS20XX where you needed to manage it very carefully to have enough power and pressure for gradients, this is very simple. In a way, I'm glad, given we're basically being driver, signaller, fireman and dispatcher all at the same time.

On Sunday I managed to get almost all the way to the Steel Mill, the nearest coal depot from my starting point in the City SW, on just the 'residual pressure' because the water tank itself was empty. Ran out of puff on the uphill part of the junction just outside, and had to drag the steam loco into the depot with a shunter so I could replenish everything. Given this railway we're on is still using steam haulage, the lack of watering points is strange.

My issue is more that visibility in the steam cab is poor, it's far too easy to accidentally step out the door and fall into the cess when trying to get a good view forward out the window (even with the lean button) and once you do get a good spot, you'll be back to having to shovel and add water again soon.
    Last edited by metalangel; 05-26-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Definitely thinking big diesel, then. If I want to see steam, I'll put the kettle on!!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I have done Bruce and they are taking it on board......
    Great minds...etcetera!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I haven't gotten to it yet in the overhauled game but the thing that kept tricking me up with steam loco in the old Derail Valley was that you pushed the throttle forward to apply power instead of pulling towards you like in real life. I'd find myself thinking I was shutting off steam and wondering why I kept going faster.

A gripe I have with the diesel shunter is that for a loco with such large windows the cab interior is so dark I usually cannot see the brake or throttle handles and have to feel around with the mouse to see their settings.

I agree with the speed limits popping up out of nowhere and would like to see some decent route maps supplied for route learning as well as proper scale maps of the station yards showing track capacity, actual location of station offices and other facilities.

Licenses and extra job qualifications should be granted by satisfactorily performing training scenarios. if there is a real railway anywhere in the world where drivers become qualified to run long trains or handle hazardous freight just by paying money into a vending machine I wouldn't want to go anywhere near it, let alone ride it.

The cab interior thing is indeed a problem, and the "cab lights" only illuminates the dials. I basically have taught myself for all the controls that the right of the two keys (e.g. J for the reverser, L for the independent brake, etc) increases it because you read text "forward" to the right, and the left of the keys (H for reverse, K for independent brake) decreases it. Now this is drilled into my head, I usually do okay, though I do find myself still hitting the brake release keys together from time to time to ensure they're still off. FWIW, I have the same problem in Diesel Railcar Simulator in terms of not being able to see the controls or dials sometimes, especially in that game's Class 37.

The speed limit thing seems to be a gameplay choice to keep us awake (unlike TS20XX where you set the throttle and go to sleep) but yes, it's very odd that the route builders in the game's fiction seemingly had no issue paying for and building massive viaducts and embankments to negotiate the terrain but also make huge kinks in the track around the junctions.

I also reckon it's a gameplay decision that the licences cost money... if you're able to earn enough to afford them after all the fees for damage and other problems, you're probably good enough to handle what comes next. Cutting my teeth on the shunter trying to coerce it and a ten or twelve car train uphill meant I was both ready and appreciative of the higher power and attention needed for the Mikado.