Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I've had a proper adventure today.
    I was running light engine from the food factory to the west iron ore mine, only my tender decided to jump the tracks in a tunnel at less than line speed. When I got out the other end, I rerailed and it placed the tender BACKWARDS. I couldn't even try running around to a wye, because unless it's hooked up, the coal inside is inaccessible so my fire went out. I had no choice but to spend $5000 each removing the tender and the loco.

Enjoyed every minute of this silliness!
    I don't think I'll bother getting this game then, sounds like I'd be doing more headbutting of my PC monitor than with any other train simulator, not good for the health conscious......lol

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Well, it turns out that was partly down to me for not knowing that the mousewheel can change the orientation of a vehicle you're rerailing. Still very frustrating that it happened!

I find the risk and attention required makes it much more interesting than many other train simulators where it's harder to make a mistake and even less consequences if you do. I'd put it up there with similar games like OMSI 2 and My Summer Car, where there's the first stage where you become comfortable with the controls and game mechanics, and the stage beyond where you've mastered them and can push the limits (fairly) safely. Like, it's one thing to be able to keep to time during an OMSI 2 run, but it's another to be able to go a bit faster to make up time without getting speeding tickets or crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    I don't think I'll bother getting this game then, sounds like I'd be doing more headbutting of my PC monitor than with any other train simulator, not good for the health conscious......lol

Cheerz. Steve.
    I don't know Steve. I think you might like it. I was watching a YT clip yesterday evening about starting up the DE6, not only setting all the breakers in the cab you then walk along the side plate, open the folding doors on the engine compartment, prime the fuel then start there. Looks bloody hellfire to me!

Might be worth checking if the early access still gives you the right to a refund up to two hours of playing, the caveat being you will probably find yourself so engrossed two hours will come and go.
    Vern.

Too much poncing about earning money for me Steve. If there was a sandbox feature, i might consider it.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Sandbox mode is set to be added to the game sometime in the future.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Sandbox mode is set to be added to the game sometime in the future.
    Thank you buddy, worth keeping an eye on development then.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Too much poncing about earning money for me .....
    I feel the same, Mike.
    I can't be bothered trying to run a business at my age: I retired from that in 2012.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I have never been a bread head, Bruce. Doesn't interest me in the real world, so definitely is not for me in a game.

It would be a busman's holiday for you buddy.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Too much poncing about earning money for me Steve. If there was a sandbox feature, i might consider it.
    I believe you can still operate without working the financial side of the game.
    However, may be very limited in power choice going that route.

Got to say, I'm enjoying "Overhauled". Seems better refined at this stage, hopefully continue on that course.
    A very nice change of pace from others, rather tired of same O'l same O'l....

Seems these days, one dev releases something, esp. in the power/route dept., the others jump on the same with tweaks here & there about it. Calling it shiny / new.

Again, a very nice change from ho-hum.

There’s nothing stopping you using the save editor from Nexusmods to give yourself $9999999, buying all the licences and then just going around the map, driving and hauling whatever you see fit. You could even ignore the jobs and just try and hook up every car in the harbour and see how many locos it takes to pull them.

I’m quite happy with the structure, it gives me direction as to where to go next, and I will have damn well earned that SD-40-alike when I can afford the licence.