Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

The only thing that irked me a bit, on finally getting enough money for the DE6 licence yesterday evening, was finding you need to buy the Concurrent Job 1 licence first! Done that but of course back under $200k plus the copay has gone up. Back to the shunter I go...

Have pointed this out on the DV Steam forum that the progression seems a little odd - should be DE6 first, which can actually handle a big train load unlike the shunter which struggles with 300 tonnes climbing away from the Harbour.
    Vern.

300 is about the limit for the shunter, anyway, if hills are involved. You can make decent enough money doing lighter loads to the harbour, or stick around the area near the middle of the map (where the closest thing to a mainline is, with gentle curves and level land) and see if you can get away with something a little bigger to get some extra cash. I was able to get a pretty long train of automobiles and tractors down to the Harbour from the Machine Factory using the shunter because it's almost entirely downhill the whole way.

I think of it like when I learned to ride a motorcycle - you start off on a twitchy little 125 where you have to absolutely rev the (insert body part of choice here) off it to make it move, especially uphill or no a fast road. By the time your instructor graduates you up to a 500, you're both able to handle and appreciate the increased size, weight and power. Heck, some racers swear by learning to ride on the dirt, so you're used to having no grip, there's more you can do when there is some!

Word to the wise: Don't take that southernmost route direct from the Harbour to the saw mill if you can help it. I could have gotten there in half the time by going up and around the much straighter tracks to the north.

I tripped myself up last night. Took three concurrent jobs from the SW logging camp to the Sawmill. Over 20 loaded log cars and one little DE2 shunter. I am now splitting the train and taking it in portions from where it stalled on the (I guess) 2.5% grade east of Sawmill!

Good fun and a bit of roleplay, does any other sim do that? Run 8 maybe but then there is no financial or career motivation to finish the job.
    Vern.

I got the beast!!

Now this is train simming, she sounds superb especially with the cab door open and just walked away up the hill out of the Harbour with eight loaded oil tanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vern.

I have found that if you aren't bothered about the time bonus (some of which are quite tight) you can make more money by checking each station you pass for cargo you can add to your train. I knew I was taking a bunch of excavators to the coal mine, but along the way I picked up some automobiles and containers for the goods factory, and so it was a quick jaunt down from the spiral tunnel to drop them off before then proceeding up. At around $130k now, getting close to the beast myself.

re: roleplay, I did find myself caring in Run8 because I knew what I did mattered to other players either in the session or who'd join later. Clearing a traffic jam, humping a few trains to clear the reception tracks, putting the power through servicing, all made a difference and I'd find myself several hours later still playing after "I'll just sort this out and then I'm done".

Yes I just unlocked long trains 2 so it is more lucrative to stop and if need be attach another portion to your train.

Wouldn't Run8 be great if they had a similar gameplay module. Dragging all those trains from A to B would actually have purpose. Doubt it would happen though.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Wouldn't Run8 be great if they had a similar gameplay module......
    Not unless it was a switchable option.
    If economics were introduced without being able to choose whether to play that mode or disregard it then that would be the end of R8 for me.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Whereas it might encourage me to play it again and even buy another route or two. Each to their own!

In the meantime, running my longest train yet - 25 wagons of various types. Descending the river gorge on the SW route out of Food Factory bound for Harbour. It's a longer run but I CBA to turn the DE6 or drive hood first. What a ride, no more than 40km/h along that cliff ledge!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vern.

Old hippy says noooooooooo to economics in games.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Old hippy says noooooooooo to economics in games.

Mike.
    Frustrated CFOs, methinks.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0