Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Frustrated CFOs, methinks.
    Frustrated something Bruce, i just cannot be bothered with that side of things in any games.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Picked up another 10 loaded tank cars for The Harbour at Oil Well Central. Train now 34 vehicles and 1250 tonnes. DE6 is a fine engine, takes it entirely in its stride!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ....i just cannot be bothered with that side of things in any games. ...
    Ditto, Mike.
    Managing finances (work, home, whatever) in real life is bad enough without doing it as a part of relaxation....but many people find it attractive.
    (I did it as part of my job between 1984 and 1998 and that was a pain in the arse at the best of times! )
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Personal taste regarding the economic side aside, what I am really coming to like about Derail Valley are, 1. The train physics - which seem spot on and not in the least arcade. 2. The interaction which adds to the sense that you are running a railway. After arriving at the Harbour with the jumbo train shown above I had to break down the portions and shunt on to the designated arrival road. That involved manually uncoupling and recoupling as necessary and when propelling back, get the train moving, fast walk to the rear to act as shunter then when nearly in position back to the cab to apply the brake. Once shunting complete detach loco and work it around to the depot to service and refuel, stopping by the station house to collect my payment.

Try getting that level of immersion in any of the other sims!
    Vern.

Bruce, my sentiments exactly buddy.

Vern, it's all fictional though. Plus i would contact your union, you are doing more than one job, tut tut tut.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I had to ....fast walk to the rear to act as shunter then when nearly in position back to the cab to apply the brake. Once shunting complete detach loco and work it around to the depot to service and refuel, stopping by the station house to collect my payment.

Try getting that level of immersion in any of the other sims!
    Well, other than the fact that working yards has never been high on my list of "must do" when in any train sim, other sims do offer the ability to couple/decouple/assemble consists/disassemble consists.
    Servicing and refueling - well, in my imagination that's done by off-stage personnel; I don't need to be bothered with that drudgery.
    And as for sitting in my cab and being concerned about the finances....to hell with that!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

The other night, managed to get a 1,380 ton coal train up that gradient from the mine using the Mikado. Ran around the MGR track to build up some speed and managed it (the fun starts at 38 mins in, the rest is loading and assembling the train)

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    The other night, managed to get a 1,380 ton coal train up that gradient from the mine using the Mikado. Ran around the MGR track to build up some speed and managed it (the fun starts at 38 mins in, the rest is loading and assembling the train)

Excellent! Glad it's not just me having fun...
    Vern.

Im also having fun.
    Took 2 jobs from FF to Harbor, had to use 2 shunters and went via spiral, was a bit touch and go but made it, not in time for bonus but was just glad to get there in one bit.
    Vern when shunting a long train and more so when reversing slowly to attach or to clear a point I feather the brake valve on the rear wagon to slow the train to a nice stop.
    Still saving for the DE6.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    And as for sitting in my cab and being concerned about the finances....to hell with that!
    I think I'll need to hire skywriters to reiterate in giant letters over both Old and New South Wales that you can use the save game editor to give yourself effectively infinite money, and then just enjoy the driving.