Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

Does anyone think that Derail Valley should be taken out of General and have its own forum?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Does anyone think that Derail Valley should be taken out of General and have its own forum?
    Certainly a thought although most of the active users seem to be used the Steam forum or Facebook - I haven't looked at Discord (not even sure what it is!).

You will soon get the DE6 Jason, putting two jobs together suddenly built my cash up. Next I want to get up in the NE of the map and do some coal hauling but looking at the flow chart there doesn't seem much traffic from other than the Steel Mill to avoid running light engine up there.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I think I'll need to hire skywriters to reiterate in giant letters over both Old and New South Wales that you can use the save game editor to give yourself effectively infinite money, and then just enjoy the driving.

No...it's okay. I was referring to my dislike of economic management in any sim, not just in DV.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Certainly a thought although most of the active users seem to be used the Steam forum or Facebook - I haven't looked at Discord (not even sure what it is!).

You will soon get the DE6 Jason, putting two jobs together suddenly built my cash up. Next I want to get up in the NE of the map and do some coal hauling but looking at the flow chart there doesn't seem much traffic from other than the Steel Mill to avoid running light engine up there.
    Discord is a weird mash-up of forum, Reddit and IRC chat room. I find it rather confusing to find any information on it, because even when sorted by IRC-style channel, stuff just seems to be all over the place. Regardless, it seems to be the future, given Microsoft is now heavily pushing their Teams platform to businesses, which is effectively a business-oriented rendition of Discord's concepts. The advantage of Discord, supposedly, is it allows for real-time communication (including voice) but also allows you to post a message and anyone who logs in later can see what you posted, so you don't have to be there at the same time. The logs can also be searched, which is great in theory for tech support as it means someone can search to see if their problem has already been solved - or asked!

The only other thing I've seen go to the coal mine is heavy equipment (excavators) which I did as part of my big pick up/drop off run. If you don't feel like doing shunting to create a freight haul job to the mines, you can always just finish servicing your existing loco and then fast travel there to see if there's jobs and a loco you want to drive spawned there, as we currently cannot own a specific loco (that feature is coming soon). There's bound to be some empties at the steel mill that need to go back.

Apparently, according to comments I read on one of Squirrel's video, the secret to getting the time bonus is to read the job description booklets and assemble the train first, but don't validate it in the machine until you're ready to leave the yard. This seems pretty silly, and I don't know if it's accurate.

In the end I fast travelled to the coal mine, but the only job I could find was a shunting job to unload some excavators. Needs a bit of seeding. I'll see if anything else has spawned when I go back on later.

I have managed to do that trick a couple of times by guessing the consist and attaching the engine before validating the job, but it's not immediately obvious from the description which consist(s) you are working until you validate the job.
    Vern.

I am not sure how much of what's available is randomly regenerated if you leave and come back. Certainly, both there and at the sawmill, it only made sense to do the shunting around first to assemble everything that was available before doing a proper run to another location, as otherwise I'd barely be covering my costs.

In terms of the job sheets, I *think* the job number is written on the info panel on the exterior each car, so you can tell what's what. Some of the people were even saying the timer starts when you pick up the paper, which seems crazy, and I don't believe it. I ended up assembling cars the other day in a different order from what the shunting job had specified, so when I did the follow up job to deliver them, it took a while to spot where I should be splitting the train for storage at the destination because they weren't in the same order as the job booklet. I just walked along the train looking at each number vs what was in my booklet until I saw a number that wasn't there, because I knew I had three consists and unfortunately the one that needed a track different from the other two was the one in the middle.

Yeah I walked away a short distance from the coal mine and on return had two rakes of loaded hoppers ready for the big pull up that hill then down through the spiral tunnel.

I will look out for the job numbers on the actual car waybill, that is useful to know.

One thing I have found is, if you have two consists for the same destination track, so long as you uncouple the loco, you don't need to split the train to complete the job. You can even have the wagons on the arrival road in two separate uncoupled portions (like when I did my heavy load from the Forest) and it will still count.
    Vern.

Got the DE6 at last and am enjoying taking long loads without too much trouble(at them moment).
    At the moment I am going back and forth between Hbr and MF&T as points are all set and can get some good speeds up in places.
    Next is to save up to get Hazmat 2 & 3.

The remote certainly comes in handy with the DE6, when putting together long trains.

When I was saving for the DE6 I focused on Harbour to Food Factory, as you say Jason with the route set and remembering where the tight spots are for speed you can start to push it.
    Vern.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt