Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

Money seems to be the XP in this game as well. Now I'm manually fuelling the loco and not using Copay after every mission I am starting to build up a bit of cash reserve. First license to go for will be the longer trains as they are a bit more lucrative but figure I need $25k - $30k to keep a bit of ready cash.
    Vern.

I would say Long Trains I and Concurrent Jobs I are needed before anything else. Being able to take two loads at once (sometimes they even are destined for the same siding!) is a massive boost to your income, as is being able to take long ones. It seems like the length applies per job load, not your total train length, so you could haul two long ones, the game doesn't mind, provided your loco and talent are able to handle it.

It's not ideal, but if you mess up and damage or otherwise render a loco inoperable, you can just go get another one. However, you'll still need to pay for the repairs eventually, but at least you can keep earning money. That being said, the other night I wasn't allowed to accept any more jobs until I paid off some fees! I'm not sure whether this means it is possible to get into an unwinnable state or not (the devs have said that a shunter should always spawn at each station so you won't be stuck) or simply the game seeing that I had quite a bit in my wallet and should pay off my debts with some of it.

Interesting as that means the Copay is not open ended, perhaps there is a hidden cap on the amount of fees you can leave outstanding (hope they don't notice my shunter nose down in the turntable pit at Harbour ).

In other news a GTX 1650 and extra 8Mb of RAM definitely makes a difference. Loads and exits faster, runs better albeit still with a bit of a pause when you approach a station or terminal.
    Vern.

I have had some interesting jobs and at times frustrating especially trying to load a long train only to notice I had shunted them in the wrong order which stopped them loading so just binned that job.
    Regarding gameplay I wonder if to make it more realistic we should have to place a tail lamp on the train before a run?

Glad your PC upgrade went well Vern.

The current annoyance is arriving at the destination to find a fully loaded heavy train sat on the arrival track. The shunter can't even move it!

Tail lamp would be good.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The current annoyance is arriving at the destination to find a fully loaded heavy train sat on the arrival track. The shunter can't even move it!
    Yes I had that, took about 15min for me to push them along using all the sand and nearly all fuel. In hindsight I should of split the existing train to move it.

Yes I think I'm going to back my train up so there is enough space to split the loaded oil train and move in two or three portions. That will occupy all roads in the yard then so loco will be trapped - guess I'll have to find a fresh one for the next job.

At some point I also need to see how TS and TSW run with the extra RAM and higher GPU.
    Vern.

I arrived at a job last night to find a solitary boxcar sitting in the arrival track. Luckily, I was pushing back so I wasn't boxing my locomotive in.

A tip on Steam said to save using the co-pay for when you want to clear your fees. Part of that job last night meant a car derailed (no obvious reason why, the NE entrance to the Food Factory area is tight but I was going 10 under the limit) and seriously damaged itself. I cringed at the bill until I realized that the co-pay would eliminate it and all the other fees to for a fraction of the cost. The terminal itself does say "don't worry, you're insured". However, the job after that had no more co-pay left that I could see, so I have a $30,000 charge that I can't account for and that will clean me out. Maybe you need to build it back up or something? I wish this - and what some of the fees are for - was clearer!

I also discovered that it is possible to throw a switch while a train is on it, resulting in some wheels taking the diverging track. Curiously, this DIDN'T make me derail... but rather, stop very abruptly and then be thrown backwards. Maybe I was lucky? I wasn't lucky when I was pushing back towards a mis-aligned turntable and banged my tender tender into it. I did also finally manage to overexert the steam loco and run out of pressure going up a hill. A hot fire and lots of water means it builds back up extremely quickly, though.

Hoping to try and make a video of a steamer run out of the harbour tonight. My PC is five years old but still copes well enough, with FRAPS recording it still managed a solid 30FPS. GTX980M 8GB (yes, it's a laptop) and 16GB of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Yes I had that, took about 15min for me to push them along using all the sand and nearly all fuel. In hindsight I should of split the existing train to move it.
    Worth checking if all the wagons are coupled. I discovered that purely by accident, so of course you are only releasing the brakes on one section and trying to push the rest with the brakes hard on. Really they should spawn slightly apart so you can see it is two (or more) separate rakes.
    Vern.

I'm not entirely sure if leaving the brake valves open stops them from rolling. During that early incident where I got stuck on the gradient, I uncoupled the cars to swap out the loco and they'd rolled away (albeit slowly) even though I'd left the valves open on each end.

I recorded a video last night of the Mikado, pulling a fairly long consist (I just got the Long II licence) from the Harbour over to City SW. Get her up over 100kph for a short period. I am probably not driving that efficiently, but it's quite forgiving. In a way, I'm glad, you can use up your pressure very quickly if you're not careful, so being able to overdo it without penalty is nice. The devs have said that they are working on implementing better steam mechanics, including boiler explosions.

And, of course, at the end, one of the cars has almost invisibly derailed and so the job doesn't accept until I read the report and realize it even happened. What's more interesting is that the loaded portion of my consist wouldn't fit in its destination track by over a car length, but the game still accepted it, which was awfully nice. Also note that when I go to inspect one of the destination sidings, it has a long tank train blocking it, but when I return with my train to push the cars in, they're gone and replaced by a lone boxcar.