Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

I'm currently doing a main line propelling move, having decided to take the "High Line" from the Harbour to the Food Factory, I didn't realise that one of the junctions wasn't a wye. Highly unorthodox but once I've passed above the Goods Factory the next junction does have a wye so I should be able to turn the train on that and run in the forward direction again. All good fun!
    Vern.

How funny Vern today I also done a propelling move from the junction South of Machine Factory Town to Food Factory Town, I forgot that was not a triangle junction and to make matters worse I had two jobs so a long train but somehow made it but obviously not in time for the bonus as i trundled along at about 30kmh, as you say good fun.

Last night I had a long train of containers, probably 25 or so cars, Food Factory to Harbour. Even with the blower making the fire almost 1000 degrees and keeping the boiler topped up, the Mikado simply could not produce steam fast enough to build up much momentum and by the time I got to that decision point (whether to attempt the spiral tunnel ascent or go south via the closest thing the game has to a "main line" past the steel mill and starting point) I had already gone through most of my water and much of my coal trying to keep it moving. Luckily, it was downhill, then, and I found that even if you've run dry, the loco still produces a small amount of power (boiler needle was around 6) which was enough for me to make it to the steel mill and roll directly into the shed to refill the water tank.

A few other things I noticed:
    -Does the locker you're introduced to at the beginning actually do anything? I can't even get it to open now, I don't know what became of the key they gave you, and things I did put inside it at the start of the game have since showed up in the lost and found shed.
    -Paying your fees for a steam engine does seem to get it serviced for you... maybe this is why it costs double, because it's paying for them trucking out some coal or water to refill it to 100%. Need to confirm, but this could be a way of getting going again if you're stranded and can afford it.
    -Really wish there was a better indication of a derailment than the admittedly distinctive "clang" sound. Also not sure why it's happened, at times. Went around a 40kph bend at 30kph and the boxcar two back from the loco still jumped off. Didn't sustain any damage, mind you.

I now have the first Hazmat licence to try.
    Last edited by metalangel; 06-01-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Just a warning the next time you fire it all up: the new patch has added licences for seemingly everything. Shunting, Freight and Logistical jobs require a licence, manually servicing your loco requires a licence. You might well be me who has just shy of the $20,000 (!!!) the servicing licence costs and so not be able to refill your water. At least, your loco licences stay as they are, and I got to "keep" the one for hauling freight, but this is a bit of a kick in the pants and I think it's unfair it's being applied retroactively to things you took for granted you could do.

I wondered what the additional licence notations were on the job dockets, seems I kept the ability to do freight haul as a default but really, paying to do manual servicing.

I love the game but sometimes you wonder what the devs have been chewing on to come up with some of the gameplay changes.

Also when you first start the game after the patch all jobs including the active one you might have been on are cancelled and you are dumped where you last were on the map, not back at the starting point. So it cost me $700 to fast travel to The Farm, took a job then discovered there was no shunter there only a DE6. Further fast travel to the Steel Mill to fetch a shunter so by the time I'd got that across the turntable and run light to The farm all chance of a bonus gone.
    Vern.

I've had a proper adventure today.

I was running light engine from the food factory to the west iron ore mine, only my tender decided to jump the tracks in a tunnel at less than line speed. When I got out the other end, I rerailed and it placed the tender BACKWARDS. I couldn't even try running around to a wye, because unless it's hooked up, the coal inside is inaccessible so my fire went out. I had no choice but to spend $5000 each removing the tender and the loco.

I went over to the coal mine (beautiful location), hooked up two consists for the steel mill and got going. Mismanaged my loco and ran almost out of water and coal trying to make it up the gradient out. Rolled back down to the mine, and saw that for whatever reason I couldn't use insurance to pay for servicing, and I only had $3000 in my wallet, so my options were try again or go get another loco and end up having to pay for this one anyway.

I decided to spend every penny I had putting in as much water and coal as I could. I then absolutely booted it out of the yard for the hill, and managed to make it up. I ran out of coal going around the spiral tunnel areas, so I just closed the regulator and let it roll. With a little braking on the tight bends, I nevertheless kept my momentum all the way around and down the hill, finally coming to a stop just before the little starting area's tracks where there's a slight upward gradient, within sight of the steel mill. I had hoped I'd roll right into the steel mill sidings and be able to drop part of my train off, but oh well.

I had planned to try and pull my failed train in with a shunter, but it's not strong enough to pull a heavy coal train + dead steamer, so when I log on later, will need to get another steam to pull them all in and start rebuilding my finances. Enjoyed every minute of this silliness!

I had one final silly incident to close off this cursed day! The lesson is yes: opening brake valves on railcars does cause a brake application in Derail Valley after all.

Actually the game does generate a bit of role play...

I had a 400 tonne load heading south out of Food Factory yesterday evening but the shunter couldn't pull it up the hill (I think they may have nerfed the power a bit with the last update). So I had to propel back through the FF yard and continue propelling on the slightly less steep gradient out the north, all the way around the reverse curves to the first triangle, where I was able to turn it and continue as normal. Of course by then most of my sand had gone so I really had to nurse it on the last uphill section, before you drop down the gorge to the harbour.

I'm really impatient to get either the steamer or DE6 now, but still about $100k short!
    Vern.

I am getting better with the steam loco, though as with some real gradients, you do need to get a good run at some of them as you won't be able to get moving again (and make it to the top) if you come to a stand. Filling the boiler and cranking up the blower ahead of time makes a big difference.

I discovered a rather dangerous trick: if you're delivering multiple loads, you can arrange your consist so a load going siding you can drive through is on the rear. As you roll through, jump out and run along the train, and undo the couplers (leave the uncoupled section valve open) and they will come to a stop on their own. I did this for a load of pipes into yard G in the harbour, and while my train continued on its own towards yard C at 20kph, I quickly ran into the office and validated the job. I'm thinking this might be crucial for some of those time bonuses.

Also ran afoul of the constantly fluctuating speed limits - I had a very long train and the limit had gone up and down so much I lost track of the fact that my loco was in a 80kph section but the rear was in an 80 going around a 30 bend. You really need route knowledge to make the best of things here.

A bit chancy for me!

A little bonus last night, for me - finished a job from The Harbour to Food Factory with one minute to spare! So I got the $15k payment plus the $7.5k bonus. That puts me within about $20k of getting the DE6 road engine. I am finding the best way to make money is to keep working the same route back and forth. That way, all the points are lined other than at the start and finish with the improving route knowledge allowing you to push a bit harder and faster. Yes it is a bit boring repeating the same route but bearing in mind the shunter isn't that good at hauling you need the DE6 before pulling the heavy loads out the Ore Mines, etc.
    Vern.