Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Derail Valley

Hopefully that means we will start to see some of that working through in the game.

My comment about judder got rebutted on the Steam forum but there is definitely a smoothing issue there. They have acknowledged there is a problem with the game hanging on exit, possibly a Unity issue so maybe that is connected with the performance, or maybe the new terrain graphics are just hitting the GPU harder.
    Vern.

Two updates in close succession have added a gondola car (which allows for the scrap metal job) and... a caboose!

The caboose has storage for items, a Career Manager station (for the paying of fees and, therefore, remote servicing of your train) and a charging point for the remote control unit. It also extends the range of said unit, to aid in shunting. Lastly, it has an independent handbrake to help hold you on gradients, and works as an end-of-train device which is visible on the map as a red dot.

Nice though it all is, I don't see much utility for it. You need to make a point of connecting it to each train (which means running around to the back to attach it, as it costs $10,000 to spawn it with the radio!) and if, like me, you try to maximise your profits by picking up or dropping off consists along the way, you have to worry about detaching and reattaching it at each stop, too. Given how fast you have to work in order to get the time bonuses, that's them basically out the window.

I've never had a coupler snap that didn't cause a brake application anyway, so the only real use for the EOT function is remembering where you left part of a train if you had to split and go elsewhere/get a banker engine. I don't use the remote controller either, as I've found I have the most fun driving the steam engine, not either of the diesels.

Note also that for reasons best known to the developers, you need to buy and find it, first. This seems silly, so here is how, SPOILERS if you don't want to know:

Go to the shop in City SW and buy "Reginald's Shed Key". Not that far away, between the Sawmill and Forest South, there is a tiny little wye off the main line leading to a locked shed. Inside is the caboose.

New and wonderful in the most recent update is official support for multiple working with the DE2 and DE6 locomotives. Yet another licence to buy, then you just connect the nice blue cable shown below and any other locomotives chained up will work in concert with you, as in real life.

It doesn't appear that DPUs are possible, as the locos all need to be connected directly together. This doesn't really seem necessary with the game as it is, anyway, and presumbaly the remote control unit could let you emulate this anyway.

Still no purpose for the caboose IMHO, I pulled no less than four jobs from the Harbour to the Food Factory to test the MU function and didn't see a need for it. With two DE6s you basically have easy mode, you can haul anything up any gradient.

Looks like a great update, will have to wean myself off FS20 and try it!
    Vern.

I drove back to the Harbour and also found that you can turn off your lead unit's engines but the controls will still operate the other locos you've multipled up. I tend to assemble my trains with just one DE6 running to save fuel, and likewise during long sections mostly downhill (from the spiral tunnel toward the harbour for example) I was low on fuel and turned one off to ensure I'd be able to run both if needed later.

When dynamic brakes are implemented, this might not be so wise a strategy...