Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Same here Vern with regards Run8. Mind i do like it, but not enough to wrestle with being, dispatcher and driver.
    Generally I'd only ever do serious dispatching while humping or waiting for power to AI-drive over to the service track entrance. As Vern says, it needed a purpose, and I found the unpredictability of other players being on the server gave it that. Unfortunately, other players can mean other things, and some toxic experiences put me off wanting to go back. At its peak, though, I could spend an entire day playing Run8 just looking after Barstow and keeping the mainline moving.

I was tempted by Prepar3d but I think my serious flight sim days are behind me. I once won a huge bundle of FS 2004 addons from PC Gamer magazine, including a very detailed Hawker Siddley Trident pack which was very challenging to fly. Way back in university, I was trying to fly around the world in a Consolidated PBY Catalina.

But Steve if the player doesn't do dispatching, the AI do not go anywhere.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Yes, Mike, but you can set your spawners accordingly and just leave the routes set, as well. The Depot's "normal" server (not plus) had this set up, so the overwhelming majority of trains would spawn at LA or Seligman and have the routes between them set so there'd always be stuff moving around when someone joined the (fairly quiet) server. Busier servers invariably had someone who'd come on and keep the trains moving from time to time (this was usually what I'd do) and if logging off, you could set a route ahead of some stuff so the routing would clear after the next train passed, to avoid any wrong routings. Heck, clearing out the traffic jams that the previous person left was very involving and fun.

I think it works just about as well as it could without an AI dispatcher, all things considered, and I would hope for V3 that they include the option to indicate which areas you'll be taking over so the AI will continue to look after everything else. The real challenge will be how the various yards and industries are handled. Trying to make an AI that can actively hump, trim, attach power would be no mean feat, to say nothing of knowing how to run a local dropping off cars along the way!

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    ......Way back in university, I was trying to fly around the world in a Consolidated PBY Catalina.
    In FS2004 I retraced the flight of Dick Smith's helicopter journey, the flights of P.G. Taylor across the South Pacific in his Catalinas and a world-girdling flight made by HG Schmid in a light aircraft.
    My preference was always aimed at recreating real-life long distance flights.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Did you ever do Alcock and Brown's first ever non stop flight.

Across the atlantic in a Vickers Vimy, Bruce ?

I have seen the aircraft in the Science Museum (London).

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Did you ever do Alcock and Brown's first ever non stop flight....
    No, Mike.
    But I did create (and upload) many others, which a few people seem to have enjoyed.

Speaking of aircraft (just a moment.....I need to mention Derail Valley), QANTAS is retiring its last 747 this week, I believe.
    I was at Sydney airport, in the new 747 hangar, just a week after the first one arrived from the 'States.
    That's coming up to 50 years ago yet it seems just like last week.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Nice one Bruce, i have never had the confidence to upload anything i have created.

Except for the route in DRS, which is less than brilliant.

Plus my MSTS South Wales route at the end of 2001, which was abysmal.

Did i mention that you mentioned Derail Valley. Thus reminding me to mention Derail Valley, as well.

I know it's 50 years since BOAC started flying them Bruce. I remember seeing them at London Airport in 1970 (it wasn't called Heathrow back then). There was a public viewing area, if i remember correctly it was called the Queens Building

Just looked it up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queens_Building,_Heathrow

Tell me about it being 50 years Bruce, seems more like 50 hours.

Out of interest buddy, what were you doing in the hangar ?

Mike.

Out of interest buddy, what were you doing in the hangar ?

Mike.
    The company I worked for manufactured and installed the tail-maintenance lift.
    I was in the engineering dept. at the time and was involved with the design so a work colleague and I would use every opportunity to visit the QANTAS jet base and "inspect the installation progress".
    (That's me leaning against the railing)

One day we actually did a walk through of a 747 from top to bottom, front to back. Just walked up the steps and spent nearly 40 minutes inside the aircraft.

Tonight I tried the DE6 (we're going back on topic here, run!) and was... underwhelmed. It seemed very slow to accelerate and ran out of puff trying to get my train up the hills out of the Harbour, going either direction.

There is a remote controller, but it's only for the shunter. With official multiple support a ways off, I decided to do it the old-fashioned way and jump from cab to cab, running two DE6s to power my train (36 cars, 1500 tons) up the gradients out of the harbour. It's a little tricky to manage but it works well, otherwise, provided you can stomach the cost!

I wonder if they nerfed it a bit in the latest update (83)? Must admit haven't played for a few days, been busy plodding around in XP11 and FSX.
    Vern.