Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Derail Valley

The steam loco is a bit frustrating. I couldn't spawn the loco and tender next to each other so had to use a diesel to push them together. Got the fire lit and steam up (in about 10 secs!) but once under way unless you use the lean keys there is no forward view to speak of and the boiler and fire seem to require constant attention. Running at no more than 25 km/h I then had a derailment for absolutely no obvious reason so just frustrating really.

IMHO the developers really need to either tone down the derailment algorithm or provide an option to disable it in all but the most severe circumstances. The emphasis needs to be on shifting the cargo, perhaps making up a long train out of the several loads at your start point then running round the map and dropping off, maybe even shunting and picking up additional traffic. Could be a really fascinating and absorbing game but not when it derails you on a whim.
    Vern.

LOL, you probably need both a driver and a fireman in the cab. Doing both jobs yourself is too difficult, unless very much simplified.

The rolling stock seems to be a mixture of US and European features. Side buffers and link couplers for instance.

Its only a game in early access at the moment, but keep your suggestions coming to the devs.

An update on the game is that there is now a Save capability and an improved Job selection system.
    The state of play is automatically saved on exiting the game.

Physics have been improved....braking particularly.

The developer is certainly proactive when it comes to updates....now at #65!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Must admit I had lost heart with the game and not been on for a couple of weeks, after a particularly pointless derailment at 20 km/h on easy track. Will take a fresh look in light of the updates.
    Vern.

Vern, I actually completed a Job which took me from one end of the network to the other.
    So long as I kept an eye on the speed when negotiating curves, no problem at all.

Finished the task, popped my job card into the vend-o-matic and, voila! - $18,000 into my wallet.

I took another job moving oil cars to the refinery and exited the game at that point. Will go back in tonight.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

So, after you have acquired ooodles of cash, Bruce, what can you spend it on, any freight wagons/locomotives available for purchase, or, doesn't that feature in the game, as such?

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    So, after you have acquired ooodles of cash, Bruce, what can you spend it on, any freight wagons/locomotives available for purchase, or, doesn't that feature in the game, as such?

Cheerz. Steve.
    You can buy stuff but at this stage of the development it doesn't amount to much more than a license to operate the steam loco, from what I can see.
    This game really needs AI or multiplayer because at the moment it's a large and very empty world.

A mate of mine has this, i didn't think much of it at all.

Even for early access.
    Yma O Hyd

DV is showing good progress.
    Remote controller “belly pack” has been added, as a precursor to m.u. capability.

These developers do listen and work fast, as opposed to some others where information forthcoming is nil and progress is unbearable slow ...

After summer break DV devs are hard at work again: https://steamcommunity.com/games/588...97505921918200