Thread: route auto creation

Default route auto creation

hi all - new here

sorry if this been asked 100 times...

wondering if with all the marvels of technology such as google earth and gis software
    is it possible to create a route for MSTS automatically without too much reading and digging ?
    something like point-nd-click, ie create route on google earth and just transfer it somehow
    (on autopilot) to MSTS or any other train sims ?

want to create a route in Peloponnese, Greece (N38E022) ca 60km from Diakofto to Xylokastron
    to include terrain (hills, roads) and route features (bridges, stations).

any ideas and/or freeware suggestions please?

thanks in advance / evango

With the new TSRE, route making has been made easier in comparison to the original route editor, but that said there is no automation in the process. At most you can create route track markers from Google Earth, use DEM models for hills/terrain & also maybe use Google Earth satellite overlay as terrain textures.

The rest (stations , trees, bridges, buildings etc) will have to be either created (with external 3d programs) or downloaded from various sources, and manually placed within the route

Imo, a high detailed 60km route will take a minimum of a 6 months daily work to complete.

hi Joe

thanks for your reply

actually I find 'track laying with switches' the most cumbersome.
    I accept the fact, that the 'extras', stations and scenery must be 'user's specific work'
    which you estimate ca. 6 months!
    so 2 more questions / assistance please.
    a. how to go about mixing GE and TSRE for laying tracks?
    b. if the train stops, at specific coords, say
    can the program instead of its own graphics, display the actual (real world) image in that position?
    [image copied from one of the youtube cab rides]
    cab-1.jpg

ultimately what I would like is to interact with small clips from within the game
    making it ultra-realistic non-static recreation.

Quote Originally Posted by evango View Post
    a. how to go about mixing GE and TSRE for laying tracks?
    b. if the train stops, at specific coords, say
    can the program instead of its own graphics, display the actual (real world) image in that position?
    You can use MSTS RE and TSRE5 on the same route without any problems. I do it regularly.

As for jumping between virtual and real world, that's just not possible. Partly because the Lat/Long don't exactly match and mostly because no one has developed a program to do that.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    You can use MSTS RE and TSRE5 on the same route without any problems.
    thank you @longiron

apparently I am unable with above programs to transfer a route (path) drawn on Google Earth to MSTS.
    can you please provide some hint, probably better to use TSRE5, as to how?

Try this site for info on TSRE:

http://koniec.org/tsre5/

It has some info on getting marker sets and realistic terrain, along with basic instructions on its use. There's also a more detailed tutorial here in the file library

thanks ebnetra000!
    a first successful step

so I made a route folder, saved, exit
    then I put there the .gpx file
    run program again and selected the .gpx shown in small left window
    labeled 'Navi Window' can't find a 'World Window'.
    when I click - per instructions - view markers I don't see the .gpx track or vertical green lines.

route does not show in open rails or MSTS (just wanted to test it)

how to proceed from here please?

upd 1

ok selected a station from that route pressed jump and now I see some geen lines.
    played with camera a bit and see more lines - no track yet (isn't created automatically ?)
    other issues
    tried 'load map' nothing happens
    tried 'check if geodata files available' -> error N38E022.hgt missing (but I have about 10 files in f:\hgts including the 'missing' one)
    what to do from here
    I think the tutorial is for experts - min info - this is my very first try to create a route and I find it very tedious. is it normal?

upd 2

found TSRE5 manual at https://github.com/pwillard/TSRE5-Do...aster/book.pdf

also found http://www.realrailway.com/en/
    which is closer to what I want.
    actually is a movie player with elementary train controls - not a real sim - in Japan.
    would be nice if something similar could be done with the fancy train sims of the day....