Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building help

Hi,

Ron Picardi has done models of parts of the complex on the far side of the tracks. There's a model that shipped with MSTS that is similar to the near complex, but has 2 wooden towers instead, unless that's actually two separate operations.
    Biggest thing I see if I were trying to model that, the complexes at West Ogden, will be the textures. The mesh looks like it would be fairly straight forward. just complex and needing time.
    Textures.com has a free membership, and I use the small, free textures. I've had a free membership for over 5 years and have not had any problems. Their images are not public domain, but are royalty free.
    There's also Sketchup Texture Club, but I haven't tried them yet.
    I use a photo editor to adjust shading and tinting. Paint.net can be used to add layers such as grime, soot, grafitti, etc.

Yes, an entire block is likely out of the question. The original SU plugin has a limit of 9900 polys on export. I don't know if Dave Nelson's plugin can handle more.

Sanborn Maps less than 70 years old are likely to come with a price tag.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Silos and elevators aren't difficult at all and probably are a good learning experience. It's a couple of 12-18 sided cylinders for the main silos, and some 4-sided tubes for the auger runs.

The auger runs are some of the easiest things to do in Sketchup --- you run a "wire" from start to finish, draw the end of your 4-sided tube, and then use the "follow-me" function to extrude the tube. Curved-at-the-top chutes can be done that way.

Things like support wires probably won't be visible, so I don't worry about those.

Here is a reasonable, I think, representation of that pic you (cnwfan) posted. It is put together with the fine work done by others on here and made ready. Of course you would have to find something close to what you need. Exact reproductions are not needed as long as the scene gives you the "Feeling" of the original scene. I think this represents the photo.
    Of course a lot of work & time goes into these fine structures, but they are available.
    SRV Elevator scene.jpg

Im wanting exact renderings, since Ive started with several buildings with another member who has not returned any of my emails or forum inbox, He did wonders of the exact match of depots, some elevators. These are just a example
    Boone Elevator2 Annex End View.jpgBoone Elevator3 elevator end view.jpg
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Those are really nice. But where problem exists so does a solution, however temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Those are really nice. But where problem exists so does a solution, however temporary.
    Temporary yes, Im hoping that he will see these posts and get back to me, or until I get started with this on my own I can get some stuff done until he steps back in.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

TSM is free and very easy to learn for making static scenery. It's well worth learning how to make objects if your building a high precision route project. Our numbers are dwindling and those that are still active are busy already.

Robert