Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Building help

Just for the hell of it this morn, I've scaled down many times over to get the structure to place/show-up within Rolling Line, placed my scratch-built PD-Car in for general a look/feel. Not too bad for a first attempt. I named it Cement-Plant for use/testing. Going to continue to try other portions of the original snapshot cnwfan provided earlier in this tread.

Perhaps at some point share with others, that may be able to convert for use within MSTS, or, steer me towards creating the correct file extensions etc. Anyways, least a place to perhaps build upon.

20200603100836_1.jpg20200603095109_1.jpg

I have other ground shots of this location if you need better photos!
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Perhaps at some point share with others, that may be able to convert for use within MSTS, or, steer me towards creating the correct file extensions etc.
    Can these structures be used by Todd in MSTS or Open Rails?

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

regards,
    I already have figured out how to get these converted to SKU and will try to get more detail in these BEFORE use!
    Todd

Hello Todd,
    Tried to PM several times, sadly, says your not able to except others, til, you clear others.
    Nothing too pressing, I'll try PM another time.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    Hello Todd,
    Tried to PM several times, sadly, says your not able to except others, til, you clear others.
    Nothing too pressing, I'll try PM another time.

Got it cleared
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

regards,
    Honestly Vince, unsure from my end. Why I brought to the forefront, others, may be able to convert for use within MSTS, or, perhaps steer me towards creating the correct file extensions etc.

From Todd's end, believe he's got a good handle on that process, he most likely be the person to share with others. Myself still green in those depts. Bound to hit on something, given time.

Now I see my choice of SketchUp with several available add-on tools (pipe extrusions for example) and an ez to use shape file exporter was the right one.

Moot for me anyway as my system these terrible days is very busy running COVID-19 research for the U of Washington and no room for TSRE or any cpu intensive programs. Here's a pic of the present queue:
    busybusybusy (Large).jpg
    You can see the time it takes these workunits to process. Keeps the die nice and warm but I digress .. .

I've only used it for trackside structures and frequently have both TSRE and SketchUp both running at the same time.
    Here's one.
    AT_Armor Meat Warehouse.jpg
    Using a piece of Dynamic Track as a temporary precision ruler, measuring and constructing the SU model is quite easy.
    But now as you say there is no exporter I'll have to stick with what I have.
    I do hope you find someone to code an exporter, preferably using .dds textures but also in .ace textures for the holdout MSTS users.
    The only problem I recall is lack of animation . . . not a problem with for me.
    My buildings don't move around much.

best regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Agree, Vince. Every time I try to learn Blender, I start to miss things like the extrusion tools and wind up launching SKU again...

If I can still use a 20 year old game for route building, I guess I can use a 10 year old piece of 3D modeling software...

Can't say I've ever touched SketchUp (SKU), just never got around to it.
    Honestly the pc came way too late in life for me. I keep thinking supposed to make things easier. Then when I begin creating anything project wise find it to be much different. Hell I don't care, nor, need to know how many triangles, quads etc., to a square, whether surface faces in/out, all sorts of finer details, you name it. Just want simple tools to get the job done. Can't see all angles, nor, surfaces any given time anyways, what the ****. Perhaps one day a more fitting (simplified) program will fit the RR community with just tools needed, along with a single converter for all. Too bad the games couldn't have stuck with a single system shared by all of them. Somewhat of an example. I always thought such things like Fire / Police etc. should be consistent in color choices etc. thus, no matter where kids / adults were living, would know without question whom they were, Christ, even some fire equip in my neck of the woods are black, some blue. Always hearing, kids have no idea how/whom to find, unable to tell diff in an emergency. Need to go the way of the national highway system, Signage universal, layouts pretty much the same etc. We seem to have gotten the school buses in a system where we know a school bus no matter the location. (yes some holdout still). Sorry, going off in left field. Anyways, need us a standard system of RR creativity tools, & file extensions that anyone would be able to recognize & use, no matter the simulator, all across the board when all said & done. Now for my next novel?....