Thread: Flagstaff Turn

Default Flagstaff Turn

Very nice. So the big question: is the new version of Seligman worth the money for someone who has the previous versions?

I'd vote yes! I haven't had a lot of time to explore it yet, but so far, I like what I see.

For $13 bucks you get SD70Ace and GP40Ms, along with ACF 2 bays and ballast cars. Even just a trainset pack with that type of new equipment would cost more than 13 bucks.

All the other equipment has been reworked in the details and LOD areas, so wheels etc remain visible at a distance when cameras are zoomed. The old C44-9s were notorious for dropping everything below the frame when looked at through a zoomed camera at the farthest LOD, and the revised ones don't have that problem.

There are 8 activities with zillions of AI traffic. Those activities were designed *very efficiently*, almost to a fault. There is a slow AI (grain, oil, mixed freight) and a fast AI path (Z trains) for each direction, east or west, where the fast AIs are programmed to overtake the slower AIs. And the player paths dance through all of that. All AI traffic moves with just 4 paths and 4 services. I believe this overall grand compact design was behind the need to break the TDB in between versions, as some trackwork fixes to crossovers and lengthened sidings were needed to pull off such a tidy AI operation.

There have been a couple of downsides to this - one operational and one prototypical. Users have been reporting different behavior when a wrench gets thrown into the works, like an outlawed train represented by a static consist. I believe the pathing (how they designed the passing paths) is behind the phenomena of AIs just stopping at one location and stacking up other AI traffic behind it. Something in the pathing combined with opposing traffic in the vicinity is causing them to queue up when they do. On the prototypical fault side, all the overtakes, including those involving the player, are very predictable. Most of the time, the slow AI ahead of you stops between the east and west crossovers, and the faster player uses the crossovers to leapfrog the slow one. Ive been tinkering with some of the activities to make greater prototypical use of the double track. Things like re-timing some of the oncoming AI services to create a lull in oncoming traffic, so I can then alter the player path and use longer stretches of double track to 'double barrel' player and AI movements in the same direction. That way, fewer trains have to come to a complete stop in between east and west crossovers for the overtakes, you get more roiling overtakes.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I love this shot!
    - Chris N.

I can only do so much... peons only have so much power.

Quote Originally Posted by PennCentral1970 View Post
    Very nice. So the big question: is the new version of Seligman worth the money for someone who has the previous versions?
    Yes, there are a few new items, from memory a 60ft hi-Cube box, the ex BN GP40Ms, a Speed Swing MOW car, a BNSF Ford E350 Series Extended Cab Pickup with Rail Gear, a 50ft hi-cube height car but with a different end and no white paint at the top, but mostly because virtually all the rolling stock and engine textures do not have the very dotty textures of their predecessors so look a whole lot better in the sim, the track is still not on the ground but unless you put the camera on the deck you will not even notice it, i have all the incarnations of Seligman and consider the upgrade price money well spent

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

Quote Originally Posted by PennCentral1970 View Post
    I'll echo everyone else with a resounding yes.

My only 'gripe' (not really much of a gripe though) would be some of the locomotives and the cabview textures are a bit dark overall for my liking, particularly the GP40's, but still quality stuff.
    -Mike

Little birdie told me the new cabs were done as a prerequisite for some 3D

BNSF does not handel K-line Containres UP does though just to let ya know. Great pictures I like em.
    sparkplug