Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A few new items coming from BEW

Hi Bernard, It's nice to hear from you again. Just had to drop a note and tell you how awesome these look! Thanks so much for doing them.
    Larry Steiner
    Grand Rapids, Michigan

Have the readme done for the GP40M engines since i had some time not being able to do any repainting for a few days, its off to the beta testers and once i get the green light they will be uploaded

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

The BN GP40M's passed the Beta Testers and i think they were uploaded successfully, i first tried my normal way with a FTP client, but every upload failed saying it could not read the file, i even went to the extent of making sure everything was not marked as read only, but still did not work, so in the end uploaded via the TS Com website and i think it went through ok, so hopefully should see it in the library in a day or 2.

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

well the shoulder has eased of a bit so started the next set but i am going to take it easy and not have long periods at it untill the aches have gone, this one was easier thanks to Pete Willard's Mopac font set

CEI_Start.jpg

almost finished the CEI set just the ends to sort out and they will be done

CEI_Set.jpg

Looks great. Thanks for all your hard work. I can't wait to run these

Well i hope to upload the first set of the hoppers either Sunday or Monday, depending on how my days work out, have oompleted the base cars for each of the next four roads although the DTS depends on me finding at least a near font i can mess with to come up with the proper looking one for that road, but i liked the logo when i saw it and it adds a bit of colour to those i am doing.

Next4.jpg

Some very nice stuff, Bernard.

I always like to share the history of the "flying" Rio Grande herald. In the late 1930's, the Denver & Rio Grande Western held a contest among its employees to design a new herald for the railroad. The winning design was submitted by a secretary in the Denver office of the D&RGW--it was the original "flying" Rio Grande, with the "Rio" and "Grande" being the same size. For her design, the secretary received a $100 prize, equivalent to about a month's salary in those days. The basic design still looks modern and it lasted with only minor changes until the end of the Rio Grande railroad itself.

As used on steam locomotives, the Rio Grande leaned or "flew" in the direction toward the front of the locomotive, so the engineer and fireman side heralds were different. On railroad cars, it only flew in one direction. When diesels came along, the same lettering was used on both sides, as the locomotives no longer necessarily were coupled facing one direction. In about 1966, the design of the small "Rio" and larger "Grande" debuted on the then new SD-45's being delivered. Eventually, it found its way onto many locomotives and cars, though many older diesels kept their same size Rio Grande for their whole lives. The D&RGW was always "cheap" about repainting equipment. With the railroad's many tunnels, the joke (with basis in truth) was that the Rio Grande painted their diesel locomotives black so that they would never have to wash them. Many a time I saw a Rio Grande diesel locomotive where the engine crew had hand-wiped off the loco number on the cab so that it would be readable through all the grime. Ironically, while the D&RGW locos were often grimy, they were usually kept in top mechanical shape up until the merger with the SP. Now you know the "rest of the story."

Wonderful work Bernard, glad to see you and your high quality work back!
    -Tom

It looks amazing Sir, I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.