Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disappearing into the night without a whimper

Quote Originally Posted by dmrick View Post
    .....I guess private ham guys use Q signals but I think the Z ones were primarily military.
    When I was an active "ham" (1976 - 1986) we did use some 'Q' shortcuts in CW but I've forgotten just about all of them now, except for 'CQ', the general call for a contact if a callsign was not included or a call to a specific station if the callsign was appended, such as 'CQ VH2VNV' (my call-sign).

Once I attained my license I didn't use CW very often - maybe a couple of times a day was all - so the speed of reading/sending dropped down somewhat.
    Most of my international contacts were Japanese wanting to practise their ability to speak English.....so it was mic rather than key.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Once during childhood I've tried to learn Morse codes, but then stopped and forgot everything.

As long as we're off topic and talking code...

Who can tell me about this one... "diddi-dum-dum-diddi"?

Or perhaps... "di-dah-di-dah-dit"?
    In Russian practice trainings uses peculiar chants for Morse codes: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Азбука_Морзе For example, for Russian letter "Л" (or Latin "L") uses code · − · · and chant "лу-наа-ти-ки" (Loo-naa-tee-kee), i.e Russian word "Лунатики" ("lunatics").

About a hundred years ago, station signalmen transmitted messages about train movement by telegraph, how good is that today, I don't need to know Morse codes for my work!

Now i found intersting video:

Probably in this time I can try learn Morse codes again!
    Vladislav

Vladislav, you never cease to educate me!
    Thanks for the links.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0