Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dispatcher window - Can't see the tracks

Default Dispatcher window - Can't see the tracks

I've been trying to get some activities out to go along with the Siskiyou Route... and discovered something that needs to be fixed somehow.

I was working on an activity in White City where there's a lot of train activity. There are numerous commercial sidings there and lots of yard stuff. When you place a consist on the tracks the Dispatcher window displays them as green rectangles centered on the track. However, when you are in a typical yard and you place trains side by side (especially 3 or more consists) the displayed consists completely block out the tracks. This not only makes it difficult to know which track is what, but it also hides such things as crossovers. There needs to be a better way of displaying this. Any ideas?
    "FREE is a very good price!"

You can zoom in on the dispatcher window right down to showing the individual cars in a consist.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dmrick View Post
    .... the Siskiyou Route... ....
    Are you aware that www.siskurail.com goes nowhere?
    It comes up with sites other than anything to do with rail.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Hi,
    Are you aware that www.siskurail.com goes nowhere?

The current address of the Siskiyou route is : http://www.siskurail.org/

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,
    [/COLOR]
    The current address of the Siskiyou route is : http://www.siskurail.org/

Cheers,
    Ged
    But his signature graphic says ".COM"
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    But his signature graphic says ".COM"
    Which was the very reason I raised the point that it is defunct!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Let me site an example to show how that's not feasible. At the start of an activity I'm told to locate and go to a certain track in the city of White City. I use the Dispatcher to prepare my route by throwing the necessary switches ahead of time. I do this on the move so that I'm not just sitting wasting time. In order to plan that route through a mile or so of yard-type tracks with wagons on them, I'd have to zoom in so far to see things like where crossovers were that I'd have to actually pause the game to keep the engine from overtaking me. It's almost mandatory to use the Dispatcher in this case because the individual that created the activity created a path that's a beeline out of town. To make my route much shorter I need to take advantage of the mentioned crossover, and this means getting into Manual mode to leave the path. The switches that make up the crossover are too close to use the <F8> switch monitor to throw the second switch before you run over it and trigger dynamiting the train by crossing a switch that's lined wrong. Click on this image to see it better. This is zoomed in quite a bit and as you can see you couldn't possibly throw the switches of the crossover. I've enlarged this screen capture quite a bit in Photoshop. It's much smaller on the screen...
    Partially Zoomed In.jpg

The next image shows how far I'd have to zoom in just to set up these switches. When you zoom the Dispatcher window in this far even small movements of the mouse can throw you all over the place... taking even more time to get things done. As you can see I would have to do a lot of scrolling to move all the way to the left setting up switches necessary to reach the point where I'm to find the desired siding...
    Zoomed Way In.jpg

Hope that does a better job of showing my situation.
    Thanks
    Last edited by dmrick; 02-16-2019 at 07:49 PM.

A long while back... when my home burnt down I had to quite doing my route. My GoDaddy account expired and I lost the "siskurail.com" url because someone thought the could grab it and get me to buy it back. Rather than doing that I purchased the siskurail.org url. That's been posted most places. Sure enough, a couple of months ago the chap that grabbed it offered to sell it back.

Quote Originally Posted by dmrick View Post
    A long while back... when my home burnt down I had to quite doing my route. My GoDaddy account expired and I lost the "siskurail.com" url because someone thought the could grab it and get me to buy it back. Rather than doing that I purchased the siskurail.org url. That's been posted most places. Sure enough, a couple of months ago the chap that grabbed it offered to sell it back.
    You didn't need to tell us why it was changed from .com to .org. Seagoon was just pointing out that you will get more visitors if you edit (correct) your GIF (or JPG) in your signature file. Newbies might go to siskurail.com and give up and never find siskurail.org

If you can't edit, it just stop using the one with the wrong URL.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    ........ Seagoon was just pointing out that you will get more visitors if you edit (correct) your GIF (or JPG) in your signature file. Newbies might go to siskurail.com and give up and never find siskurail.org
    Thanks, Charles; that was exactly the reason I mentioned it, in the hope that the Dale would either change the info on the image or remove it altogether.

I downloaded the Siskiyou route many years ago and still had the original URL in my info.

Dale, you need to amend it, for the sake of others who might get lost.