Thread: Genesis and SD40

Default Genesis and SD40

If I make these locos driveable, Genesis and SD40, will that affect their use as AI units?

Thanks, Brian

No, they should still work fine as AI units. But I have to ask why on Earth you'd still want to drive them

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    No, they should still work fine as AI units. But I have to ask why on Earth you'd still want to drive them
    Hi ebnertra000,

I don't think I would convert them, not with all the top downloads available through trainsim. Just adding to my MSTS knowledge.

Thanks, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Hi ebnertra000,

I don't think I would convert them, not with all the top downloads available through trainsim. Just adding to my MSTS knowledge.

Thanks, Brian
    I can think of only one reason to make the default Genesis unit driveable - if you insist on using one of the ancient activities that requires it (done before NALW came out with their Genesis pack, also in the f/l, and good payware appeared). The necessary driveability conversion is also in the f/l - just search for driveable Genesis or something like that.

As for the SD-40, I thought that the MS update fixed that ... wait, that was the SD40-2. And it had a .eng file error that caused some problems - fix was simple (a parenthesis error iirc) and there's a utility in the f/l that takes care of such things (way before Route-Riter) - mstsfix or something like that.

As AI, yes, fine, best in the background. That was what they were intended for in the first place.

Adding to your knowledge is always good.

However, AI units is one of those things that has been rendered obsolete with the next generation of sim software.

If I could add a suggestion, you could replace these units with more newer versions just rename the newer files to the original file name and drop them in. Everything that came with the orginal MSTS USA Routes has been replaced with SLI. Just a note if you do the MLT sets you will find some activites will not work due to the trains being way longer than the orginal. I have some activities I still need to correct due to the train being longer than the slidings since I replaced them.

I think swapping in newer units in the activity would be easier than making one drivable (which isn't that hard). TSRE's consist editor makes it really easy: http://koniec.org/tsre5/
    Christopher

There are several editors out there that can do the job. TSRE is a recent and very good one, that also has other functions.

I've done it several times in the past, with a text editor. The Activity is a text file. Open it with a Unicode text editor, locate the service that you want (probably a player service, possibly AI). Close the activity file. Locate the service file(s) that you identified as needing change and open it(them) with a Unicode text editor. Edit the line with the consist file in it to include the consist file you want instead. Recommend copying then commenting out the original line instead of just replacing the consist, or saving a backup of the service file - you might want it again some day, maybe. Save. Done. The activity now uses the consist you want, probably including a newer version of the locomotive (and cars). Note that replacing a consist this way *can* have side effects - among other things, it's likely to mess up the timing of the activity somewhat because the replacement consist probably doesn't perform exactly the same way as the one that was used to build the activity in the first place. BTW, it can get messy, but consist (.con) files can be edited as text, also.

A "Unicode text editor" these days is pretty much anything. Notepad included. I like Notepad++. The old days of recommending Wordpad or something like that ended with Windows Vista if not XP or a service pack thereof.