Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metra acquiring SD70MACH's

Metra, former home of the F40C, no? You remember them, the HEP version of the SDP40F.

The SD70MACs built in the 1990s used Siemens inverters that have fallen out of favor. BNSF has rebuilt a dozen of them with Melco inverters as a demonstration test, and I think KCS is upgrading their ex-TFM SD70MACs in a similar fashion.

I think what they are going to end up with is something like the Alaska passenger SD70MACs, but without the loss of power to an entire truck. As the size of the technology shrinks, they may be able to pack a separate HEP solution in their somewhere without undergoing the dead truck thing Alaska's units feature when in passenger mode.

With all these railroads storing and selling their DC fleets on account of 'precision', I think Progress Rail sees an opportunity to apply old SD70MAC technology to commuter uses, and convert DC traction SD70s into the current generation of SD70MACs like what the NS is doing to avoid T4 emissions issues. Think of the near future of Progress Rail as being just as if EMD never stopped producing the GP9.

I wonder if they will have rail repair problems running 410,000 pound units for passenger service? They may be able too lighten them some, but I would guess at minimum 385,000 pounds, probably more. The axle load at 410,000 pounds equates to 273,000 pound 4 axle units, but total unit weight could result in more rail repair. Also, will 6 axle long locomotives negotiate the curves and sidings on their system?

The steerable trucks on the SD70's may cause less wear on track than a Blomberg 2 axle. At least that's what I'm hearing elsewhere..

With trains getting longer, I'm sure there's a use for the extra horsepower. The bigger issue is that Metra's F40PH fleet is on its third rebuild already, and they're past their economic life.

It's time to go with some more current technology, and with the State of ILL, there's no money for F125's or Sprinters. Heck, we might start to see surplus Amfleets and Horizons running on Metra at the rate things are happening.....
    Last edited by eolesen; 02-28-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    The steerable trucks on the SD70's may cause less wear on track than a Blomberg 2 axle. At least that's what I'm hearing elsewhere..

With trains getting longer, I'm sure there's a use for the extra horsepower. The bigger issue is that Metra's F40PH fleet is on its third rebuild already, and they're past their economic life.

It's time to go with some more current technology, and with the State of ILL, there's no money for F125's or Sprinters. Heck, we might start to see surplus Amfleets and Horizons running on Metra at the rate things are happening.....
    Don't htink they'd go with the F125 due to it's testing issues it's having, and not technically passing testing still for CA. Sounds like another MP36 waiting to happen; but that would be interesting with Metra Amfleets!