Thread: AI trains in explore activity's?

Question AI trains in explore activity's?

Is it possible to have AI trains running along side the player train in an explore route activity?

It would help to add a little bit of life to an explore activity?

By "alongside", do you mean literally, i.e., on a track parallel with that on which the player's train is running?

Or do you mean "as well as"?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I strongly suspect the latter. In any case, isn't that what activities are for? I also have no idea how it would be implemented in a convincing manner

Sounds like someone just wants to see traffic without having to learn some editors.

Explore mode is pure falderal operations - you can bend the iron anytime and go anywhere you want as you explore, and signals don't resist.

Explore in Activity mode allows you to explore, but in a more structured way - forces one to follow the paths obey the signals and interact with the dispatcher to legally get past a red.

Activities add the AI element to go along with a structured player movement.

Not sure how you would interact with AI without the player limited by some type of structured movement.

Quote Originally Posted by PXSE View Post
    Sounds like someone just wants to see traffic without having to learn some editors.

Explore mode is pure falderal operations - you can bend the iron anytime and go anywhere you want as you explore, and signals don't resist.

Explore in Activity mode allows you to explore, but in a more structured way - forces one to follow the paths obey the signals and interact with the dispatcher to legally get past a red.

Activities add the AI element to go along with a structured player movement.

Not sure how you would interact with AI without the player limited by some type of structured movement.
    If i'm gonna be honest here. I just want to see other trains running as well as the player train on a route without having to worry about timetables or stuff like that.

Ya know. Just having a little fun.

two opposing paths, player and AI, best on double tracked routes...like horseshoe for example, make simple activity - named "explore activity" - horseshoe has advantage of having parallel running AI path and player path, plus opposing AI path. If you wanna get off player path and explore, control M. Load it up with AI traffic.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    two opposing paths, player and AI, best on double tracked routes...like horseshoe for example, make simple activity - named "explore activity" - horseshoe has advantage of having parallel running AI path and player path, plus opposing AI path. If you wanna get off player path and explore, control M. Load it up with AI traffic.
    Is it possible to set all this up with TSRE5 yet or would i need to go to war with the old MSTSRE?

Also. How do i set up AI Paths?

Lightbulb

This is a feature of Train Store. I believe Train Store and Manual is available here in the file library.
    It's written up in the Train Store Manual so I won't waste time posting it here.
    AI paths are setup using the MSTS Activity Editor.
    There are many tutorials here at the Steam4Me site: >>>===> http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...tml#activities

Open Rails does have have an '+ Explore in Activity Mode +" function available in the main menu Activity section but I have never tried it.
    And no, TSRE is a 3D Route Editor though it does have an Activity Editor section is not able to setup paths yet.
    Please let us know what your research turns up. Thanks in advance.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 02-22-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Actually, I Almost forgot about OR's Track viewer.

It seems to have a well put together path editor. Has anyone tried setting up AI Paths with it?
    I have a basic idea of setting up player paths wit it but that's just about the end of my knowledge on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    This is a feature of Train Store. I believe Train Store and Manual is available here in the file library.
    It's written up in the Train Store Manual so I won't waste time posting it here.
    AI paths are setup using the MSTS Activity Editor.
    There are many tutorials here at the Steam4Me site: >>>===> http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...tml#activities

Open Rails does have have an '+ Explore in Activity Mode +" function available in the main menu Activity section but I have never tried it.
    And no, TSRE is a 3D Route Editor though it does have an Activity Editor section is not able to setup paths yet.
    Please let us know what your research turns up. Thanks in advance.

regards,
    Explore in activity mode allows to run the player train in autopilot mode if desired, and enables the activity randomization function if it is set in the experimental options.