Thread: Youngest Railroad Employees?

Default Youngest Railroad Employees?

I’ve met some engineers who have started their employment at age 18. Also on El Chepe, a Ferromex Passenger Train, one of the conductors, Jose, is known to have started his employment on the FNM Ferrocariles Nacionales de México Railroad at age 16. Who was the youngest Railroad employee? I googled that and it didn’t return anything helpful.
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

There are US labor laws to consider that prohibit child labor.
    Shortlines have been known to hire teens (probably not as engineers).
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    There are US labor laws to consider that prohibit child labor.
    Shortlines have been known to hire teens (probably not as engineers).
    Christopher
    I was thinking globally.
    LONG LIVE BNSF 8010!
    ALL HAIL MSTS!

In Russia official employment is allowed from the age of 14 (there are serious limitations for teenagers, for example only 4 hours of work per day), but beginning from Soviet period for many railroad occupations established 18-year age limit, once I heard about 17-year old electrician in 1980s. I can not say about the current time, in Soviet period some 16-17 year old teenagers could work on the occupations, where existed 18-year age limit - if given people finished learning in railway schools before the age of eightee, but officially given people are trainees, but get paid.

My father in 1980s (16-year old) during summer school vacations was MOW-worker on the Oparino narrow gauge railway (once I was upload photos from this railway), but it's a was not common-carrier railway, was in submission of Oparino sawnmill, not Soviet Railways, on the industrial railways there was a simpler job placement.

Also in USSR was its own specific phenomenon - children railways https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_railway These railways were created in 1930s as learning and leisure centres for children (usually starting from 11 years old), but all work produced under supervision of adult instructors, many these railways still uses, but fewer operations trust to children. During WWII some children railways worked as full-fledged railways and engaged in the transport of goods Inside our towns, however during WWI all teenagers worked instead conscripted adults.
    Vladislav

I would think you can join any Railway when you leave school, here in Britain that is 16. You can apply for most jobs advertised, depending on any qualifications that are needed, obviously for some duties, such as a driver/engineer, or, signalman, etc, you have to go through months/years of training beforehand before you qualify for specific roles. I was 18 when I started on the railway, as a Junior Clerk and rose up through the ranks, lots of boys started out after leaving school it was a well trained job in the olden days.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 02-25-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

I started my apprenticeship at 16. At British Railways Apprentice Training School, Swindon.

In the UK you can join the Army at 16 as a Junior Leader soldier. As that would have been my second choice, on leaving school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Leaders

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt