Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newcomer looking to get into train sims

viprit77 Guest

Default Newcomer looking to get into train sims

Hey everyone ! So as the title says I am a newcomer looking to dive into the world of train simulation. This came about mostly because one day, I decided to look into model railroading (having remembered an old Lionel catalog from my childhood) and given how prohibitively expensive model locomotives are I decided to turn to software instead.

The one thing I'd like to do most, I think, is drive the PRR T1. From the research I've done it seems like Trainz is my best bet but I've heard that Trainz has several shortcomings.

In light of this, does anyone know what course of action I should take? Thanks in advance!

I would think that OPEN RAILS ( Orts ) would be a good choice if you have access to the basic MSTS files . There is an excellent T1 and a S2 over at " Elvas Tower " . There is plenty of rolling stock at TS and ELVAS to choose from and there is a bonus to this type of setup .

It's all free and TS has enough routes to keep you on the tracks for many years .

Just a suggestion !

Quote Originally Posted by viprit77 View Post
    Hey everyone ! So as the title says I am a newcomer looking to dive into the world of train simulation. This came about mostly because one day, I decided to look into model railroading (having remembered an old Lionel catalog from my childhood) and given how prohibitively expensive model locomotives are I decided to turn to software instead.

The one thing I'd like to do most, I think, is drive the PRR T1. From the research I've done it seems like Trainz is my best bet but I've heard that Trainz has several shortcomings.

In light of this, does anyone know what course of action I should take? Thanks in advance!
    Hi...

Welcome...

Well - if you want the easiest and cheapest way to get started - here's a complete package that will only take minutes to get you into the sim... It's completely free... While not steam locomotives - everything is included and installed in one fell swoop... I've been with Open Rails since it's inception - just a few weeks ago I tried both Trainz and and TS2019 - - - I'm still with Open Rails...

https://www.trainsimulations.net/ORTS_starter_pack.html

I'm a steam guy as well - here's a very quick video of what you can expect from Open Rails with a steam locomotive:

https://youtu.be/JAt8SlDjx4o

Regards,
    Scott

hi Scott,

i just saw that video and i think that it is one of a kind...i am speachless...

thanks

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by michelouim View Post
    hi Scott,

i just saw that video and i think that it is one of a kind...i am speachless...

thanks

Michel
    Hi Michel,

Hah - many thanks for the comment - yeah - a tad bit of work on my part - not so much the video but all the content you see - I created most of the textures - the vegetation - terrtex - and sky - I also created the steam locomotive and much of the rolling stock as well...

It's Paul's epic B&M CT River Route - which I just can't get enough of - it's a true masterpiece - highly recommend it if interested in that sort of thing...

Monogame ORTS with ReShade is absolutely fantastic in my book...

Note: Any stutters are video recording induced - my sim is glass smooth...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 02-26-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Hi Scott,

in the first place, what got my attention, the background is so clear as if i was there and never saw the loco coming...had to play it again and focus on the loco and the rolling stock...the loco is unreal...and then i saw the cattles...so much details...great work...

Michel

Hi Michel,

Well - the clearness and decent representation of a clear sunny day is a combination of turning up the brightness in ORTS - my ReShade profile - and finally - you need to alpha out clouds01.png in your ORTS “content” directory - as the default adds a layer of haze you can’t get rid of any other way... The alpha needs to make it invisible (all 0,0,0 black)... I got t idea from Claus’s fine skydome work he had shared here for a while... I have it all uploaded over at Elvas...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is endless fiddling around you can do.

When I started the thing that grabbed me was the vast library of rolling stock that appealed to me. And the different routes. I set about exploring and finding things in the file libraries here and looked at some of the payware vendors too.

Christopher

You also have the DTG Train Sim, available via Steam but it is very payware orientated.

Trainz, well I blow hot and cold on that all the time. It is by far the easiest of the sims if you eventually want to build your own routes but operationally it is hard to replicate proper prototype operations. It hasn't really outgrown its original concept of being a virtual model railroad where you drive the train throwing the switches as you go. Train physics bear little resemblance to the prototype and, while there are exceptions, the lack of the sims appeal to more technically minded creators means much of the stuff relies on old cabs and sounds often nothing like the prototype.

If you just want a bit of fun hauling cargo around Railroad Tycoon style, then check out the new Derail Valley, also on Steam.

So definitely give MSTS/OR a shot, with the caveat that MSTS itself is getting on for 20 years old and requires a very particular hardware combination to work. However nothing to stop you trying the others and don't forget if you buy DTG TS off Steam, you have up to 2 hours to try it and if not for you get a refund.
    Vern.

I am with Scott on this! Open Rails is the way to get started. I am a diesel electric guy, and I have tried some of the other "simulators" but none of them seem to approach real train handling to the degree you can achieve in Open Rails. If you enjoy North American railroading, with 100 car trains and big power diesels, Open Rails can do that. If you want to switch a few cars with an aging GP7, you can do that easily as well. There are some great routes to run, some are short and slow, and some have many miles of high speed operation. Give it a try, I got involved before MSTS was released, so it has held my interest for 20 years. Enjoy!!