Thread: WIN 10 & spontaneous re-boots

Question WIN 10 & spontaneous re-boots

When I Google it I see a lot of others have had problems like this but the fixes I have tried don't work for me!

It seems to only happen when there is no in-put, maybe a program is running but kind of in an idle state.

Example:

I was in the process of making my own DVD from home movies and the process of gettng ready to burn the disk took about 2 hours and all that time I kept my fingers on my track ball, wiggling them, ( Mouse input ) and the program ran well. After burning 8 copies of the disk, I stop to go take a dump and when I get back I see that the machine has re-booted and I'm back to my desk top.

While watching TV later, I also keep my machine in my perifferal vision and notice that with no mouse in-put, the machine is re-booting every several minutes. I asked my wife if she was noticing and she said that it took as little as two minutes sometimes.

I have uninstalled updates from after the time I noticed this problem. " Quality Updates " seem to be a more complicated process and I haven't uninstalled them yet.

I have re-seated my RAM modules.

I have exercised the cable connections on my hard drives.

I have updated my GPU driver.

I followed an instruction to turn off " automatic re-starts " which I thought was going to give me BSOD to look at but I don't see them and re-starts seem to be happening the same way.

I was wondering if there is a small program I can run in the back ground that would simulate input activity while I am getting a beer or re-cycling beer or just watching TV while rendering a two hour DVD?

Specs.
    Mobo= Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    CPU=Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHZ
    RAM= G.Skill TridentX Series 16GB ( 4 X 4GB ) DDR3
    VidCard=ASUS Turbo-GTX970-OC-4GD5 GeForce 4 GB
    HDs= 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III SSD= WIN 7 & WIN 10
    1 X Intel 2.5" 160GB SATA III SSD= Trainz
    1 X Weatern Digital 2.5" 1TB SATA SSD= Data Disk
    1 X Western Digital 500GB SATA = Data Disk
    Optical= HP Internal Multi-Drive CD/DVD Reader/Writer +
    OS= Windows 10, 64 bit
    Mouse= Kensington Expert Trackball

Wild Willy the Wacko

With the PC keeps getting reboots, it sounds like to me, that its overheating... It sometimes acts like a safe mode when something overheats it shuts down and reboots. Check the fans, and make sure its free air flow.. Another thing, do a memory check.. Sometimes RAM modules gets bad and overheats, it also gets reboots... Check the "math" on your RAM.. If you say you have "16384" MB of RAM (16GB) thats the correct formula... but when the math says, you have like (4096 MB each, 4GB) and your RAM reads 15xxx or 14xxx or something, you have a bad RAM module and needs replacing. There are some other factors that can causes reboots.. so I would check the PC once more..
    Dave Edwards

Angry Thanks, I appreciate the feed back!

Quote Originally Posted by dedwa15237 View Post
    With the PC keeps getting reboots, it sounds like to me, that its overheating... It sometimes acts like a safe mode when something overheats it shuts down and reboots. Check the fans, and make sure its free air flow.. Another thing, do a memory check.. Sometimes RAM modules gets bad and overheats, it also gets reboots... Check the "math" on your RAM.. If you say you have "16384" MB of RAM (16GB) thats the correct formula... but when the math says, you have like (4096 MB each, 4GB) and your RAM reads 15xxx or 14xxx or something, you have a bad RAM module and needs replacing. There are some other factors that can causes reboots.. so I would check the PC once more..
    The over-heating idea doesn't fly with me. If it were over heating, why would it re-boot after being idle for various amounts of time instead of during authoring a DVD or playing Trainz which is the main purpose of this machine.

BUT, since I posted originally, I got to the place where my machine tried to boot and it entered an "automatic repair" mode but after thinking abut it for a while it said it could not repair my machine and all other advanced options did not work except for re-installing Windows and when I tried to do it with saving my files and apps it told me that Windows could not be installed on that same SSD because it had become a GPT disk. I had to do the re-install cause every time it booted it went into the auto repair mode.

I had to " Clean " and re-initiallize the drive and install from scratch but this time I did it right and I get the option of which Windows I want to boot into and if the re-booting problem is in the new WIN 10, I'll boot into WIN 7 and see if it happens there.

Right now I'm still getting updates to the new WIN 10 install and I'm going to bed while that continues.

Thanks again

Willy

Do what you wish, but I'm just giving you on what I have experienced on my part on PC issues. There can be so many things that causes spontaneous reboots. Hardware is one... software may not be the other.

Why dual boot Win 10 and Win 7? Its like throwing a wrench into a gear. Use just one OS thats all.. you do not need both.

Good luck..
    Dave Edwards

Exclamation Problem nay be gone!

Do what you wish, but I'm just giving you on what I have experienced on my part on PC issues. There can be so many things that causes spontaneous reboots. Hardware is one... software may not be the other.

Why dual boot Win 10 and Win 7? Its like throwing a wrench into a gear. Use just one OS thats all.. you do not need both.

Good luck..

How about this:

One OS is broken and I need a Trainz fix to survive the day!

And, you still think heat is the problem after telling you that it does not happen during intense computing opperations but only when idle.

I think my problem is solved. I authored another DVD last night and I did not keep my fingers on the mouse as a test.

The way I got rid of the problem was a new install of WIN 10 and that may not have been the problem because in the process, I did loose some other recently installed programs and any one of them could have been corrupted instead of WIN 10.

I still appreciate your input, I just think that the specifics of my situation point in the opposite direction of heat.

Thanks

Willy

Default Why dual boot Win 10 and Win 7?

Good luck..
    I see you are a moderator and I would assume that you have read a lot of posts and there were many questioning the wisdom of going to WIN 10, as an example where Jeepster says he will wait for what comes next:

I'll wait until what comes after 10. Preferably by then, as big tech data collection loses political ground due to events happening within the current 'wild west' data collection approach, consumers will have bestowed upon them by legislative bodies a newfound choice to opt out of any and all data collection short of the current approach of simply having to unplug or fight the perpetual permissions fight."

I passed up the window for the free upgrade because I was afraid of getting my Trainz experience interrupted by upgrading and maybe finding that it was a mistake.

The only reason I bought a full version of WIN 10 was for a period of about a year, Microscrew kept telling me that my WIN 7 was
    " not Genuine " , I thought I had to bite the bullet and move on.

I did pay for WIN 7 and Microscrew seems to agree with that now, so why should I get rid of it?

Willy

I've gotten spontaneous reboots with Windows under 2 circumstances:

Overheat, which has been discussed and you're convinced isn't happening. To be sure, I'd suggest getting Speedfan (it's free) and ensuring that you are in fact not overheating. Especially if you build things yourself like I do, it's easy to get a heat sink improperly installed which will cause spontaneous reboots, speed throttling, and complete shutdown even at very low usage.

Inadequate CPU or GPU for the application. While this, ordinarily, is seen as slowdown of operation, in severe cases it can cause important parts of Windows not to work when demanded. Oops... In your case, unless there's a hardware problem someplace (like an inadequate heat sink install) throttling the CPU severely, I don't see any way for this to happen.

Rarely (though it did happen to me once), a failing but not yet broken, or overloading, power supply can cause random reboots. Again, it's very rare, but does happen. If your system isn't very old, I'd check everything else first.

If the restarts are caused by a hardware problem, the BSOD (you can find the records in the Event Log too) may not be particularly relevant. There's no BSOD for "CPU overheat" - things will just stop, and on the next startup the Event Log will get complaints about improper shutdown the last time etc.