Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Twin Cities to Chicago Mainline

Definitely can help with roads. Unfortunately I have been out of the 3D modelling game a bit so I wouldn't be too helpful in that area.

Wayzata, MN Mile Post 26.6 on BNSF Wayzata Sub

Hey,

I know its been quite awhile since Josh and I have updated anyone on the status of our mega route. Well we have both taken a break from it for awhile and I am now back at it again. He will start with his end of the route when he gets around to it in the spring. Yes we both understand this is way more then what people are used to seeing for a route. Twin Cities to Chicago and beyond are you crazy? Maybe a little bit but it is something we both have been working on for years and want to see if we can complete this challenge. I have recently just rebuilt the whole Hinckley Sub from scratch because the grades and track were quite a bit off. Next will be roads for all of the routes on my end. I do not plan on expanding my end any more until I get roads and some scenery in place. I do have to give a huge shout out to Travis who has been kind enough to let me merge some of his routes in with this one. One in particular is the Brainard Sub from Boyleston Jct. to Staples, MN along with parts of the Duluth/Superior area or as locals call it "The Twin Ports." We will also be using his new signals along with his signs in the route as well so this will be a huge asset to our route as we move forward. He has one more route he is working on that will be a very much needed and welcomed addition to this route as well. I also need to give another big shout out to Eric Oelsen for his help in this route as well and allowing Josh and I to merge his CNW routes in the Chicago area in this route as well. Another huge asset as well. He has also helped Josh out with a few other things as well. Moving forward I hope this route to be a success.

Brandon
    Attached Images Attached Images

For those wondering why the Janesville line is there... I've already built the extension to Madison, and its in my ten year plan to build the CNW beyond to Wyeville and both Superior and the Twin Cities.
    Last edited by eolesen; 02-18-2020 at 03:36 AM.

On my section of the route I have been focusing mainly on Roads lately and here are some progress shots. I decided to finally start doing roads for the routes that I know are 100% laid out and ready to go to the next step. The first shot is the Duluth/Superior area, Second shot is the Twin Cities area and the 3rd shot is the CP River Subdivision from St Paul to Winona, MN

Brandon

So last night I decided to take a major step backwards sort of speak and ripped out a bunch of track that will eventually be replaced. Now you are most likely thinking why in the world would you do this? to be frank it was a very easy decision as all of this track was built with the old editor and just using markers as guides. Not to mention the track work was quite a bit off and the grades were horrendous. Here is a photo of what it looked like before and what it looks like now.

Brandon,

How far up Staples East does the route currently go? I'm still way out in the Rice area, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't go out to Big Lake like it used to

I am out to Big Lake, MN Just past the Northstar station and service facilities. and almost to the Becker Power Plant.

Here is an idea of what the route will eventually consist of. We eventually would like to extend farther east out of Chicago but that is way down the road and figured we would focus on the main subject at the moment and that is the CP and BNSF from the Twin Cities to Chicago. We have discussed it and will be breaking the route up into phases. The BNSF and CP Portions to Chicago will be in phase 1 and the UP and CN will be phase 2. The Twin Citeies area will all be in Phase 1 but Chicago will be broken up into 2 phases I believe. We plan on doing the North and West sides of Chicago first in phase 1 and then doing the South and East sides in phase 2. The BNSF Lines that split at Willmar will also be phase 2 of the project.

The colors consist of the following railroads.

BNSF- Orange
    CP- Bright Red
    CN- Dark Red
    UP- Yellow
    North Shore Scenic Railroad- Green
    Twin Cities and Western- Purple
    Last edited by brandon261; 02-17-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Here is an idea of what the route will eventually consist of. We eventually would like to extend farther east out of Chicago but that is way down the road and figured we would focus on the main subject at the moment. We will be breaking up the route into phases as followed

Phase 1

1. All Metra routes in the Chicago area
    2. North and West sides of Chicago track complete
    3. BNSF and CP Mainlines from the Twin Cities to Chicago complete
    4. Twin Cities area track work complete
    5. BNSF Mainlines in Minnesota track work complete as followed
    Staples Sub from Minneapolis to Fargo ND
    Wayzata Sub from Minneapolis to Willmar, MN
    Hinckley Sub from Minneapolis to Superior, WI
    Branard Sub from Superior, WI to Staples, MN

CP Mainline track work in Minnesota

River Sub from St Paul to La Crosse, WI
    Paynesville Sub from Minneapolis to Glenwood, MN

6. Twin Cities and Western from Minneapolis to Glencoe, MN
    7. St Croix Valley Short Line from Hinckley, MN
    8. North Shore Scenic Railroad in Duluth from Duluth to Two Harbors, MN

Phase 2.

1. Finish up track work in the Chicago area
    2. build UP and CN Lines from the Twin Cities to Chicago
    3. Finish the Twin Cities and Western Track out to Milbank, SD

Phase 3

1. Extend UP South from Twin Cities to Omaha, NE
    2. CP from Winona, MN to Tracy, MN Ex DME tracks.
    3. Extend the CP West to ND and maybe the Canadian Boarder.

The colors consist of the following railroads.

BNSF- Orange
    CP- Bright Red
    CN- Dark Red
    UP- Yellow
    North Shore Scenic Railroad- Green
    St Croix Valley Line- Light Green
    Twin Cities and Western- Purple
    Last edited by brandon261; 02-17-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Hi Brandon,
    Thanks for keeping us posted. Great work guys.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.