Thread: Trains not moving

Default Trains not moving

So many of my engines won't start. Example: Kicking Horse Pass (MLT) MOW Setout activity. 0.5% grade, engine and three wagons can't get started, even at full power. Happens on many routes.

Are you initialising the brakes with "Shift" + "/"?

I must assume you've set the reverser to forward? Also, if you've got a log file on your desktop, attach that if you have any problems in OR

Quote Originally Posted by dforrestc View Post
    Are you initialising the brakes with "Shift" + "/"?
    If you don't use that cheat and wait for the brakes to release then it can take forever with a long train.....and KHP has long trains.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Didn't some early MLT routes also come with the engines in KiloNewtons instead of Kilowatts?

Is it working now, after trying to figure out what's wrong?

Thank you, that fixed it. Initializing (US spelling) after releasing was the answer. As I have never seen that in MSTS, what exactly is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    Thank you, that fixed it. Initializing (US spelling) after releasing was the answer. As I have never seen that in MSTS, what exactly is it?
    From the manual ( required reading )
    7.6.2 Initialize Brakes
    Entering this command fully releases the train brakes. Usually the train must be fully stopped for this to
    be allowed. This action is usually not prototypical. Check the keyboard assignment for the keys to be
    pressed. The command can be useful in three cases:
    • A good number of locomotives do not have correct values for some brake parameters in the .eng
    file; MSTS ignores these; however OR uses all these parameters, and it may not allow the brakes to
    release fully. Of course, it would be more advisable to correct these parameters.
    • It may happen that the player does not want to wait for the time needed to recharge the brakes;
    however the use of the command in this case is not prototypical of course.
    • The player may wish to immediately connect brake lines and recharge brakes after a coupling operation;
    again, the use of the command is not prototypical.
    Note that this command does not work if the Emergency Brake button has been pressed – the button must
    be pressed again to cancel the emergency brake condition.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

You can observe the rate of brake release two ways, one is to watch the gauge in the cabview as the pressure drops once the pipe is charged. Also by pressing the release key repeatedly, you can note the two reported cylinder points drop in pressure. You should be able to start the train when the EOT cylinder is down to 2-3 pounds. Note, without the cheat, that can take 5-10 minutes on a long train.