Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalerail - Still Viable?

Default Scalerail - Still Viable?

As per discussion in the DTG TS area https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ailable/page29 it looks like 3D Trains has at best gone into dormancy. For my next attempt at getting back into MSTS/OR route building I was contemplating a North American route and of course at one time Scalerail was pretty much the goto track system. However AFAIK it can still only be downloaded (including by end users) after registering at the 3DT forum. Although I'm a member over there it's several years since I posted and my password was long lost. Attempted to generate an email via the reset function but nothing received. So it looks like the forum is pretty much dead stick too.

With that in mind, it doesn't really look as if Scalerail is a viable option anymore. No point in creating a route - even if I could track down the files on a long forgotten CD backup - if no-one else can get them. Looks like it will be X-tracks with the least clunky looking texture I can find.

NB: I'm aware there is a US offshoot from DB Tracks but that suffers from the same issue as Scalerail in that it has to be downloaded from an external site. I also do believe the original author is no longer with us so how long is the site likely to remain up? In addition, as I recall, certainly DB Tracks caused me some graphic corruption when driving near forest objects.

It's a shame Scalerail (and the other system) can't be uploaded here where there is a reasonable chance the site and library will continue, at least for the foreseeable future.
    Vern.

There is a replacement for Xtracks in the very early stages of development, so if you're forced to use Xtracks, it may not be the end of the world.

I have downloaded all the US/DBTracks in case the site goes down, just in case, as they do look very good

You cannot use the tracks from 3D Trains Feather River route? It probably has all the Scalerail you'll need.
    This is about the best commercial route for MSTS, so almost everybody that is serious in MSTS has it.
    Edwin "Kanawha"

The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)

Unfortunately, I'm 4 years into building a route using Scalerail. Too late to change now. Don't know what I should do about distribution, but my guess is a lot of the forum users have already downloaded SR already. I'm wishing all the best for Marc
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Has anybody attempted a purchase from 3DT recently to see if anyone is minding the store?

Has anybody attempted to use the DB Tracks commercial permissions email link to see if any Norbert surrogate is minding THAT 'store'?

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Has anybody attempted a purchase from 3DT recently to see if anyone is minding the store?

Has anybody attempted to use the DB Tracks commercial permissions email link to see if any Norbert surrogate is minding THAT 'store'?
    Looking at the 3dTrains Forum Members list and sorting by Joined date then going to the last page, I find 2 new members who joined on 23 Feb 2019 whose member status has been changed to "Valued Customer" which indicates the answer to your question is "YES!"
    Charles

That is reassuring, albeit the password generator still hasn't sent me a new one. ATM will use standard and X-Track systems. What is the collective opinion on the best track texture to use on a light to medium trafficked line, that doesn't look too chunky? At present I'm using the "Very Good" textures as they seem to be the best of the bunch. The UK Scottrax textures are good too, though not really suitable for a North American route.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    That is reassuring, albeit the password generator still hasn't sent me a new one. ATM will use standard and X-Track systems. What is the collective opinion on the best track texture to use on a light to medium trafficked line, that doesn't look too chunky? At present I'm using the "Very Good" textures as they seem to be the best of the bunch. The UK Scottrax textures are good too, though not really suitable for a North American route.
    I finally bought the Feather River route last week or so (shame on me). And I've been in contact with Marc Nelson once. Replied the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    That is reassuring, albeit the password generator still hasn't sent me a new one. ………..
    That feature was not working on the ConBuilder Support forum either when I left the ConBuilder Team. And there was no indication to the Administrators when it failed. The only way we knew of such problems was when member emailed.
    Charles

I don't know why Scalerail wouldn't still be considered viable. People are still using Norbert's track system years after his passing, and Marc's still with us.

Scalerail and Scaleroads are the best looking and most versatile track systems for a 1950's onward US or Canada based route. I'll be using both of them as long as it's functionally possible in ORTS.