Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalerail - Still Viable?

In such cases it would always be best if there were multiple places where such widely used CORE products can be downloaded.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I don't know why Scalerail wouldn't still be considered viable. People are still using Norbert's track system years after his passing, and Marc's still with us.

Scalerail and Scaleroads are the best looking and most versatile track systems for a 1950's onward US or Canada based route. I'll be using both of them as long as it's functionally possible in ORTS.
    Because you can *only* get it via the 3D Trains forum (or buying payware), so if the password is lost and you can't get another one - no access to the files. It also imposes on other potential users the requirement to join a commercial provider's forum to obtain some freeware files. Obviously how Marc runs or as it seems past tense - ran - his business, is his prerogative. Nevertheless, given the age of all this stuff, why not just upload it here and at UKTS as with X-Tracks and UKFS so it's freely available? It's not going to hurt 3D Trains business, quite the opposite - a magnanimous gesture would be seen for what it is.

In any event, my intention was not to start a train sim politics discussion but from my own point of view I think I have the answer to the question and in my case, it's no longer a viable track system for future route development - unless someone can persuade Marc to relax his distribution arrangements.
    Vern.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I have what I think are all the scalerail files which I downloaded from the site if anyone needs them.

I very much appreciate Marc's Scalerail and Scaleroads system. They have greatly improved the appearance of many routes. But for those griping about having to register and the growing difficulty of doing so to get them ... legally, tough luck, and you are on shaky ground redistributing copies you have without Marc's explicit permission. Be careful.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

An aside: if you once had the files, why don't you have the distribution package(s) in a backup somewhere? *Anything* that's distributed online, free or otherwise, is subject to disappearance for any number of reasons, including your own backups in "the cloud," so not keeping copies on local (on or offline) storage just isn't good practice.

Sorry. Grumpy Sunday Morning. Need more coffee...
    Last edited by mikeebb; 03-03-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: missing word

Vern,

I assume you have tried to Email and/or PM Marc concerning your password but have not heard back. I suggest that you contact via PM Dan Zollner who is also an "Admin" of the 3dTrains Forum. Only "admins" can reset passwords. Dan's username on that forum is Big Zee. Dan was on the forum in the past week. And once you get your PW changed save it somewhere incase you forget it again. I use KeePass to keep track of my usernames and passwords.

For anyone reading this thread and thinking that the 3dTrains forum is dead or dormant there have been 25 new members joined in the last 2 weeks. Three made purchases and have head their membership upgraded so that indicates that the forum is being administrated as those of us that have Moderator privileges cannot modify membership status.
    Charles

By this point, most people who are still using ORTS or MSTS will have Scalerail and Scaleroad installed, so it certainly would still be a viable choice to use.

If you do choose to go with the standard pieces and X-Tracks, take a look at Claus Visby Overgaard's textures on the file library. They're based on Norbert's US Tracks textures, and really look good.

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    ......And once you get your PW changed save it somewhere incase you forget it again. I use KeePass to keep track of my usernames and passwords......
    I use a pen and a piece of paper.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

... I use KeePass to keep track of my usernames and passwords...
    Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I use a pen and a piece of paper.
    Yep, funny, that's what I did for a long time also. Until my credit union, banks, medical links to docs and various organizations and businesses I had to deal with because I had a D.P.O.A. for a parent with dementia - all need passwords, and constant password changing because they were all giving thought to security from malicious hacks. Plus most alert credit unions and banks now require two level, plus some sort of "characteristic" question answered.

That's when I switched to KeePass also. What a nifty little program. Not only will it remember all that stuff, it will generate new passwords for any standard configuration or custom characters, it has 256 bit complexity, it's Open Source, and FREE.

Easy to use, especially if you use a "book" code for the master password ...Take any sentence from a book you know and memorize a sentence, first sentence is always easy...make it a decent sized sentence --- or a line from a song, joke or anything you can remember. After you've had to enter it a few times into KeePass you'll remember the sentence...Or just for seagoon, you can write it on a piece of paper with a pencil ( that will fulfill that desire ).

I keep a portable copy of the program and my file with all the passwords and website login information on a couple of flashdrives. Doesn't matter if anyone gets the file copy, without any knowledge of the master password it is unhackable and unbreakable.

https://keepass.info/index.html
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I keep my KeePass data file in a subfolder of Dropbox. Thus accessible from KeePass for iPad and KeePass for Android thus I have my same data file available on my desktop, my iPad and my cell phone.
    Charles

I keep my KeePass data file in a subfolder of Dropbox. Thus accessible from KeePass for iPad and KeePass for Android thus I have my same data file available on my desktop, my iPad and my cell phone.
    Thats fine Charles...but
    Keep a personal backup on a flash drive or two...Dropbox, cloud storage or whatever fancy name the business promoters use, is really only a nondescript building somewhere with racks of storage drives, software, and a massive air conditioning bill. You are trusting them to stay in business, to keep backups, not to succumb to any sort of disaster and provide access to your data on demand...keep a personal copy close by, just in case. There is always pencil and paper...(my apologies to Bruce...sorry mate. )
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.