Thread: Saint Croix Valley Railroad #1325 and #1326 (SD40M-2) - Home of the SKALLY LINE

Default Saint Croix Valley Railroad #1325 and #1326 (SD40M-2) - Home of the SKALLY LINE

Since I grew up in east-central Minnesota all my life, til I was like 17, I would watch SCXY GP9's like #1363 and ILSX Locos like #1370 working together to haul fertilizer along I-35. Finally with the addition of frac sand facilities in North Branch and Harris, the shortline needed a bigger set of motive power, hence the SD40M-2 rebuilds. Just curious which locomotive is preferred for reskinning?

SLI's BN SD45, which doesn't have ditchlights...

...or SLI's Rock Runner CEFX SD40M-2, which does?

I'll personally thank somebody if they can do a repaint of the real thing on either loco. I would love to see these engines in style!

Both are numbered #1325 and #1326...

I have a ditchlight shape I made for a repaint a while back. I'll have to see how well it fits on an SD45 shape. I personally recommend the BN SD45 because the shape has since been released as freeware, so you can release the repaints with the shape files already in them, ready to run

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    I have a ditchlight shape I made for a repaint a while back. I'll have to see how well it fits on an SD45 shape. I personally recommend the BN SD45 because the shape has since been released as freeware, so you can release the repaints with the shape files already in them, ready to run
    A very good point you make about the freeware SD45 But if he has the SLI rock runner set he should go with the CEFX SD40M-2, due to it being a more current model. But either option is good. Normally I would offer to paint such a thing But I have too much to paint right now and those are priority for me.

Actually, there are some NP-painted SD45s in the F/L already: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=25668. I use them on test runs of the Skally when I'm actually working on it. The readme sounds like you can change the NP paint scheme into SCXY colors (they are identical), but I would still ask the author about it first just to be sure. Why start from scratch if you don't have to?

Here's a repaint I did - all I had to do was patch the NORTHERN PACIFIC lettering and replace that with the SCXY lettering, then I repainted the front and patched the SCXY logo on it :

SCXY 1325.jpg)