Thread: Testing

Default Testing

The first run up Crawford Hill, with a set of 6 SD40 (not SD40-2), running a full implementation of all the Open Rails physics code modifications.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Bob,

So how did they do ?

Regards,
    Scott

That last shot is the top of the grade. It took about 6 SD40 to get a 100 car coal train up that hill. The new files plus the tractive effort curves worked fine on the older diesels, but we still have work to do on the tractive effort curves for modern AC units, as the files performed better without the curves on modern AC. I am suspicious that the fault in that result (I was watching on the OR headsup power and force display), is a function that we don't have the curve calculation down perfectly yet?? It also could be a unit of measure issue or incorrect increment choices?? The files seem to be doing well without the curves, but the curves ought to improve the matched performance. I hope there is not a hardwired limit issue?

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    That last shot is the top of the grade. It took about 6 SD40 to get a 100 car coal train up that hill. The new files plus the tractive effort curves worked fine on the older diesels, but we still have work to do on the tractive effort curves for modern AC units, as the files performed better without the curves on modern AC. I am suspicious that the fault in that result (I was watching on the OR headsup power and force display), is a function that we don't have the curve calculation down perfectly yet?? It also could be a unit of measure issue or incorrect increment choices?? The files seem to be doing well without the curves, but the curves ought to improve the matched performance. I hope there is not a hardwired limit issue?
    Hi Bob,

Hah - the advanced physics is a bit beyond me but we do test with similar methods... I build my own freight cars - so along with the physics I'm also checking LOD's (has to be absolutely seamless) and Frame Rates.... I use Derek's beautiful WP Mallet (poly monster) - usually with 100 of my freight cars in tow on the Feather River climbing the grade out of Oroville... Used the same test setup for years so I have some baseline on what to expect - which gives me relative performance for anything new I introduce... That reminds me - I need to test those new Hopper files you sent me on the grade as well - to see how they perform... Granted - they're far lighter hoppers than your messing with here...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 03-07-2019 at 07:05 AM.

OK, Now we have the AC units working, only we really need autosanding to be implemented in OR, most modern diesels have that, and it is frustrating holding down the sanding key for 45 minutes to get that train up the 1.75% grade. That is 17,753 U.S. tons total train weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    OK, Now we have the AC units working, only we really need autosanding to be implemented in OR, most modern diesels have that, and it is frustrating holding down the sanding key for 45 minutes to get that train up the 1.75% grade. That is 17,753 U.S. tons total train weight.
    Hi Bob,

Umm - err - while no argument on your "auto sander" feature - you do realize the sanding key can be toggled on and off ? You don't have to hold it down in either MSTS or ORTS... I have it mapped to a joystick button...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 03-07-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Bob,

X+Shift will lock the sander on.
    X again will release it.

Randy

Thanks, that works great!

Hi Bob,

LOL - a little easier on the old fingers...

Regards,
    Scott