Thread: Switching out trucks on rolling stock

Default Switching out trucks on rolling stock

Hi All,
    I downloaded a set of tanker cars from the library. The color of the trucks is too gray for me, and I was thinking that if I switched the Truck.ace file, with one that was darker, that this might work. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Is there a way to switch out trucks, or better yet, the color of trucks on rolling stock?

The color is determined by the .ace texture file. "Repainting" that file by darkening it is a relatively easy project.

As for switching the actual truck model out, you would need the original 3-d source file. This requires more advanced skills.

Here is a tutorial: https://www.uktrainsim.com/index.php...der=texturing1
    Last edited by conductorchris; 03-08-2019 at 04:04 PM.

As mentioned, the primary objective is just to darken the trucks, not necessarily change them out. It looks like the link you provided (thanks, by the way) is more for texturing. I'm not at all familiar with re-painting, so I think this may be beyond my skill-set.

What's the specific model Curt? Not home right now but I'd be happy to see what can be done. Looking at photos the state of trucks and undersides varied according to terrain and weather. Often the truck .ace file is seperate so can be used on any model using that file.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Thanks for trying to assist, Geoff. The file name is 65premtc.zip. And again, yes, the Truck.ace file is separate, so what I originally tried was switching a Truck.ace file from a darker set of trucks, into this file, but no change noted.

I would expect to see *some* kind of change based on what you said, which leads me to be suspicious that maybe something didn't go right when you were switching in the .ace file? You sure you put it in the right place? Not that I would know anything about this, mind you (wink). Easy mistake to make in my experience.
    Christopher

Right place? I just replaced the existing one in the folder for the tank cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt C View Post
    Right place? I just replaced the existing one in the folder for the tank cars.
    PM me your email Curt.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK