Thread: Culverts

Default Culverts

In all my wanderings throughout MSTS/OR I can never remember seeing any stone or box culverts so prolific especially on routes here in the Northeast, Seems that these shapes would be fairly easy for you 3D modelers. See the attached an my feeble attempt at modeling a box culvert. Never got beyond 2D(stone culvert).

21-box-culvert.jpgBox Culvert.JPGstone culvert.jpgStone Culvert 02.jpg

Any thoughts ??
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

I've forgotten where I found them but there are a handful of culvert shapes out there already.

Regards,

-Frank C.
    Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

So far, I have only located two and they were pipe culverts.
    Russ G

In a pinch, I suppose you could take a stone tunnel portal and shrink it way down with Shape File Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by paulytechnic View Post
    In a pinch, I suppose you could take a stone tunnel portal and shrink it way down with Shape File Manager.
    Hmmm ?? That's a thought. Good way to check out Goku' new Shape File Program.
    Russ G

While we're on the subject of "things that should be there" has anybody seen a mailbox?

Mailbox.JPG
    Like the ones along the road in rural parts of the country.

Randy

There are mailboxes (with newspaper tubes) on posts #17 & #22 of Mark's "Blue Comet Line Route "REDUX" thread here.

Beautiful. Love the Cat, Mark !
    Russ G

It is also in the library here
    Russ G

Hi,

My thoughts:

The Tristate route is literally festooned with them (Culverts of all shapes, sizes, materials, and unfortunately, vertical locations from the track.

This is one of the larger ones, crossing Monhagen Creek in Middletown, NY for the Middletown and Unionville RR.
    MonhagenCreekCulvert.jpg

The Sang component stands just under 6 foot tall, and is in the Screengrab to provide scale. He's not in the final export. This location has the water table set, so it did not need a bottom.

Finding suitable textures can be a problem, in this model the arch is a hand made tga texture set 1 inch in front of the main face. It's useful because I can scale it, and untexture the back face so it's not exported.

Early on, I realized this wasn't going to go far depending on the 10 meter mesh to support the track. Thus I developed a set of berms. The berms keep me from trying to punch holes in the terrain for the numerous culverts.

I set a limit of 3', after making many 2'6 x 2'6 and one 2' x 2' culvert. I didn't feel they were worth the time, considering every thing else still to be made. All the small ones have a bottom in the culvert so I can adjust the terrain and then use transfers for the creek (stream, rill, kill, etc). Same for pipes (cast iron, wrought iron, old iron chimneys, concrete, etc). If they weren't 3 foot or bigger I didn't make them.

I don't have ref entries for them. I set a Plain Jane berm, then measure the depth from the track to the terrain. Jot down the World file coordinates. Whump up a model in Sketchup from a renamed Plain Jane berm (ususally with the nearest town location). After exporting I go edit the W file manually to change the name of the S file at that location.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Thanks for the input.

Dealing with berms and adjusting terrain and the like is WAY beyond my pay grade. Even after 15 years simming with TS I am just beginning to understand and use TSRE. Scott has been a big help in learning to deal with texture painting and I am now able to do a bit of shape work.
    Russ G