Thread: Pacific Surfliner Thread

Cool Pacific Surfliner Thread

I searched and didn't see one, so I'll start it! ANYTHING and EVERYTHING Surfliner between San Diego and San Luis Obispo. Let's make this thread great!!

Starting in Fullerton, I heard a trainset calling out signals with the CDTX 6961 leading! That isn't a PacSurf cabcar, sure enough, I got to Fullerton to see this NorCal trainset subbing for a PacSurf set, with a CHARGER to boot!! I followed it all the way to San Diego, where at 19:21 we arrived a mere 14 minutes down. There's just something about that sunset in Del Mar that beats almost ANYTHING in California!

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.
    FranksRails Photography, LLC. -Owner/Webmaster
    fchrist16 (On most Forums)

Today I managed to catch the PHL to Barstow Intermodal train. Between PHL and Hobart, this train had an interesting leading in the form of BNSF 8621, which is a Dash 8 standard cab. At Hobart though, the crew did some diddling and changed the Track Warrant and leader from the BNSF 8621 East to the BNSF 644 East, which was still interesting but not as fun as the Dash 8. After a set out in Hobart, this train hiballed for Barstow, and boy did it hiball! I didn't catch it again until "Foamerton" aka Fullerton!!

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.

Today I managed to catch the PHL to Barstow Intermodal train. Between PHL and Hobart, this train had an interesting leading in the form of BNSF 8621, which is a Dash 8 standard cab. At Hobart though, the crew did some diddling and changed the Track Warrant and leader from the BNSF 8621 East to the BNSF 644 East, which was still interesting but not as fun as the Dash 8. After a set out in Hobart, this train hiballed for Barstow, and boy did it hiball! I didn't catch it again until "Foamerton" aka Fullerton!!

After setting out the Hobart section, the crew goes to move engines around...When re-attached to the train and air tested, the new train hiballs with a diverging clear followed by an approach diverging.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.

"Great expectations lead to greater disappointments." - Me

The V-SDGSBD-16A finally gets going from San Diego after, mostly all, the commuter trains are done. They spent the last 4 hours diddling away in the yard putting their train together. Today, this "long" Auto train, topping in at 10,209 feet and 7,659 tons of loaded metal departs San Diego so early that even the roosters don't know what's going on! Due to time limitations, the crew will get re-crewed at Atwood with a dog catch crew.

I1) On Duty at 2300 and leaving San Diego at 0300, the V-SDGSBD-16A is seen approaching CP Ash in the first image.
    I2) When I didn't think the end would come, this CP/ex-AT&SF DPU setup comes roaring through the depot!
    I3) CP Morena and the crew thinks they're making good time, until the DS forgot a light or two...
    I4) Cruising through Sorrento Valley, at a mere walking speed.
    I5) The sun is starting to light the sky and I adjust my shutter speed for such things as bright gaseous balls!
    I6) The train seems to stretch across the sandy beaches of SoCal...Good thing the only people out right now are SUPER early wave riders!
    I7) The seagulls seem un-bothered by the loud, long freight train whistling through town.
    I8) Cruising through Laguna Niguel, the CEFX unit tries to imitate an ALCO.
    I9) One of the few places I sat and watched all 1.93 miles of this train cruise by is Orange. I knew the "end" was coming...
    I10) Unlike most trains that take the "left hook" into Fullerton and points "North" here, this train continues East towards Atwood, with a crew change, and out to San Bernardino.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.

It's nice to see "out of place" consists in some areas...PacSurf #777 has an AmCal set subbing in due to a shortage in SoCal. No less, it has a charger to boot for power! Only problem is the consist is reversed compared to normal Surfline equipment.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Frank C.

San Diego-LA

[img][/img]