Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good quality IC/IC stand in routes?

Question Any good quality IC/IC stand in routes?

Seeing as there's quite a bit of Illinois central rolling stock in the file library> I was wondering if there where any good IC routes on this site or at least routes that would be a good stand in for routes that the IC may have used?

Hi...

The mighty Monon covers the whole state of Illinois - that's what I would use... Has to be the best depiction of Chicago ever made...

Regards,
    Scott

A GM&O route around Springfield Illinois was made. Not sure if it is in the file library.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi...

The mighty Monon covers the whole state of Illinois - that's what I would use... Has to be the best depiction of Chicago ever made...

Regards,
    Scott
    Hey Scott, pretty sure the Monon covers Indiana, not Illinois! But it does make a great stand in for sure too!

You might try some of these (in no particular order) for IC/ICG 'stand-in' routes:

- Illinois Eastern (fictional)
    - LaSalle, Rockford & Central (fictional)
    - Birmingham (NS-based but running some IC on it works out just fine)
    - Monon-2 (mostly Indiana territory, but is close enough)
    - CN Blackfoot (Canadian route, but parts of it works for some of the IC's more rural branches)

... as an aside, I don't believe that the GMO Springfield Switch route alluded to above is available any longer since the Mophouse site closed down a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    A GM&O route around Springfield Illinois was made. Not sure if it is in the file library.
    Christopher
    That GM&O route wouldn't happen to called GM&O Northern Lines would it?

Default Any good quality IC/IC stand in routes?

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    Hey Scott, pretty sure the Monon covers Indiana, not Illinois! But it does make a great stand in for sure too!
    DOH - LOL - you got me - yep - Indiana...

Too funny - Rick would probably shoot me...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I figured someone would beat me to it.
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

The GM&O Northern Lines is probably not what Chris was thinking of; it's a mega-route but has several scenery gaps. IIRC, the version in the file library has a serious error, but can be easily fixed by searching old threads for the repair info (something about re-naming a world file). IMO, it was an ambitious project of the entire GM&O north of St. Louis, but it's unfinished state leaves me unsatisfied.

The GM&O Springfield Switch is based specifically around Springfield, IL, and features the Alton mainline between Elkhart and Hazel Dell, as well as the Air Line out to Knapp. It was highly detailed for its time, made by the late Paul Fowler. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be in the Trainsim File Library now.

As others have stated, the Monon route through Indiana is a good stand-in for the IC mainline, especially north of Lafayette, and the LaSalle & Rockford Central typifies a northern IL branch line. Most of the screenshots of my IC/ICG TSM models were taken on these two routes.

Tyler

You could also try a "what if?" strategy, for example, what if the IC had merged with the L&N? Then you could run IC to Mobile and Pensacola over routes already in the library. Etc., etc.