Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Route - Mexico City - Veracruz "FCM railroad"

I will be taking some time to upload some reskinned Ferromex into the file library...

I just need to understand what permissions are needed since I reskinned textures of SLI payware locomotives

Regards

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

Awesome awesome work. Looking forward to running this. Spiked my interest in railroads in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoville View Post
    I will be taking some time to upload some reskinned Ferromex into the file library...

I just need to understand what permissions are needed since I reskinned textures of SLI payware locomotives

Regards

For SLI/TS reskins you just need to leave out the shape files, sound files and cabview files, include any or all of the ace files eng, sd files etc and credit SLI /TS for the originals with a link to their website, include a readme with instructions on which shapes you need to have in order to complete the reskin and you are good to go, SLI gave blanket permission some years ago to upload reskins as long as those conditions were followed

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

My only request about reskins (not just for this thread, but for any) is that reskinners try to get away from using original shape files that were made necessarily "crude"--Fred Flintstone wheels, lack of details, etc.--to meet the limitations of MSTS and computer systems 10-15 years ago. What little and very limited repainting, etc. I've done for my own use taught me that it is painstaking and time-consuming. It seems a shame to me to waste all of that effort on what, today, would be considered sub-standard models. "Putting fresh lipstick on a pig," as it were.

SLI/TS models, for example, have improved substantially in the last few years and are much better than what they were producing, say, 10 years ago. Also, if one considers modifying models for OpenRails-only use, OR allows things like multiple freight-animations that make modifying an existing model much more sophisticated.

Hello,

Yes it would be great to keep doing the best effort to provide a better quality of whatever project being developed... Route building or reskining, etc...

Based on my experience in terms of route building it wouldn't be possible to have this route functional and working without having Openrails and TSRE....

Regards!!

Based on the detail in your screenshots, I seriously doubt that the route would run in MSTS--MSTS would probably "choke" on it. I pretty much gave up on MSTS back in 2013. Routes and content being produced today is often just too much for MSTS to handle.

I already tried to run in MSTS at the very beginning of creating the route and in fact it crashed.... So I just let MSTS as a good memory due Openrails and TSRE exceeds the expectations very well!!!

Regards

Is it that there are not the volume of blanks available for the newer models as opposed to all the old ones? I'm not a "re-skinner", but isn't it best to do it from a blank vs. a painted canvas?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

One of the most beautifully detailed routes I have seen! Excellent stuff!

You have a knack for this

Neil,

That could be part of it. I think that the bigger issue is that the older, "more crude" models often were a single shape file, while many of the newer ones use FreightAnims to add details. The challenge with MSTS was that a reskinner wishing to change the details on a model with an existing FreightAnim could not add a second one to the model. OR does not have that limitation. That is a summary explanation, so as not to take this screenshot thread down into the weeds of model design.